Today President Obama stood up to big everything and denied the permit for Keystone. This doesn't mean it's dead but it does mean that today we can do the rare victory dance.
What's a good progressive to do? Today on Democracy Now, Dennis Kucinich and Ralph Nader went at it over HCR. All over America progressives heard a serious and pointed discussion of the former's decision to vote on the existing bill. Heads did explode!
with love for my country, with sentiment that has been buried under years and years of cynacism and bigotry and fear-mongering.
I'm still crying tears of joy and relief. On Saturday when Garrison Keillor lead his audience in singing first "America The Beautiful" and then the ultimate sap fest, "God Bless America" I couldn't stop sobbing.
That is what an American election observer said about the thousands upon thousands of individuals who stood on line to vote -- for the first time -- in South Africa.
When I read that in the late 1980's I was, well... please follow below the fold ---->
Tonight's TDS just showed in living color just how, um, shall we say, "fickle" the GOP'ers are.
This may break the rules but OMG -- Jon Stewart just hit a GRAND SLAM
For a long time now I have struggled to reconcile my fundamental progressive beliefs in nonviolence (aka peace), with what's right (aka justice), with belief that the future will be better for everyone, especially the least among us (aka hope) with the reality of the country (and world) in which I live.
Yesterday I was listening to Democracy Now with my 81 year old friend, a long-time progressive activist. She about blew a gasket when she heard Jim Wallis explain why Obama came out so strongly in favor of expanding Bush's faith-based initiatives and also discussed his support for efforts to reduce abortions.
Party pooper, party pooper.
My respect for Granny Doc is boundless but on this point I think she's wrong.
Follow me to find out why.
Quick, pop over to the New York Times home page and check out the very cool graphical depiction of how the primary votes went state by state based on the criteria listed after the jump:
Buried in the September 5 issue of the Federal Register, was a notice that this Thursday, September 20, the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) will hold public hearings on their ¨Secure Flight Plan.¨
Come with me into a nightmare world where American citizens will have to obtain permission from the government before they can travel by air in the U.S.
Let me qualify that statement with a much needed "mostly."
Please counterbalance the following opinion with the fact that I don't own a TV and that my Daily Show experience is [highly?] filtered by the limitation of Comedy Central's Motherload feature.
Tony Snowjob fumbles.
How many days til Tony Snow's job tumbles:
[UPDATE: headline typo corrected]
Recommended by Blue Patriot Woman
- I remember feeling confused eleven years ago today, even frightened, as the city I loved trembled around me and our nation held its breath. Then I remember a day later as we emerged from our homes ...2 comments 3 Recs
- Un-frickin-believable! In what can only be called a massively stupid move on the part of the DNC, they backed down from properly removing all references to God from the DNC platform. For f-ck's ...531 comments 256 Recs
- Well, it looks like mattress manufacturers know their demographic: People who aren't scared of Teh Sex! I just got off the phone with a lovely customer service operator at Select Comfort Corporation,671 comments 713 Recs
- I am the proud father of two boys, ages 7 and 5. Unless something truly unexpected happens I will never have the responsibility or the privilege of raising a daughter in this world. I have several ...62 comments 116 Recs
- Hello, I briefly visited the “We are the 53%” website, ...644 comments 1734 Recs
- As their massive mobilization in response to the killing of Osama Bin Laden shows, nobody circles the wagons like the Republican Party. And that goes double for Team Bush. Confronting President ...80 comments 140 Recs
- Here I am doing my civic duty, working on my taxes. I am paying my fair share. My wife and I gave you money when you ran for President. We supported you. But now? Blow, after blow, after ...1622 comments 1009 Recs
- Sponsor: Marsha Blackburn Cosponsors: Michele Bachmann, Virginia Foxx Introduction: Sperm are alive; they move and their intelligence is shown by their egg hunting expertise even in the darkest ...81 comments 48 Recs
- After the somewhat disastrous video that our favorite Wasilla soccer mom released early this morning -- which amazed us with its weird stilted delivery and at ...115 comments 79 Recs
- Hello there! How can I assist you? Yes, it's three in the morning and the bars are closed. You're drunk and want a room? Great, I have a good rate for you. Want some food? Fabulous. I will make you ...277 comments 272 Recs
Blue Patriot Woman's Tags
- No current results.
Blue Patriot Woman's Blogroll
- No current results.