There is a draft resolution before the UNSC that reaffirms the (in the view of the UNSC) illegality of Israel's efforts to transfer her citizens into the militarrily occupied West Bank, and urges both parties in the dispute to return to negotiations. Essentially the US position since Clinton. However, there are moves on both side of the issue to support a US veto of such a resolution, and support for affirming the resolution. What you recommend the President do?
The Israeli government is refusing to pay the cost of medical care for an American-Jewish activist who lost an eye when Border Police officers fired a tear gas canister at her during a demonstration.
Emily Henochowicz, an American-Israeli Art student studying in Israel was injured by a tear gas canister during a protest of the Gaza Blockade near Qalandiyah checkpoint
On the Hill, a letter to the President is being circulated expressing support for Israel's actions in preserving the blockade of Gaza, an urging a UNSC veto of any independent attempt to investigate. Full text here Poe Peters Letter
AIPAC urges members to sign, and 279 have signed to date.
However, JStreet, has urged that members not sign the letter, but urges that support for Israel be expressed in a more balanced, constructive manner. JSTREET Challenges AIPAC
In May, 2001, a 13 year old child was horribly murdered in the West Bank. Palestinian Militants were suspected of the crime. How did the US respond?
Koby was born in 1987 in the United States and held dual citizenship in Israel and United States, in Silver Spring. He was the oldest son of Sherri Mandell and Rabbi Seth Mandell. He moved to Israel along with his family when he was in 4th grade.
On May 8, Koby and his friend Yosef Ishran skipped school to go hiking in the rocky countryside that surrounded the Mandell home in Tekoa, a settlement on the West Bank. The two boys were bludgeoned to death with rocks by the militants. Although no proof was found, a group called Hizbullah-Palestine claimed responsibility.
This is unusual.
Fifty-four members of the U.S. Congress have signed a letter asking President Barack Obama to put pressure on Israel to ease the siege of the Gaza Strip.
Israel and Egypt have imposed restrictions on the movement of people and goods in and out of Gaza since July 2007, and imposing a blockade of Gaza's sea and air space.
Four senior US senators, John McCain, Joe Lieberman, John Barrasso and John Thune held a press conference Sunday afternoon in Jerusalem in which issues pertaining to the future of US-Israeli relations were addressed.
In response to George Mitchell's comment regarding the option of witholding loan guarantees if Israel persists in rejecting US and EU requests for freezing new construction in disputed areas.Jerusalem Post
What are the prospects for a Peace agreement between Israel and her neighbors in 2010? How important is it to have some resolution to the decades old conflict? What role will the US take in fostering a solution? Will establishment of an Independent State of Palestine be good for peace?
Every appointee to the American government must endure a thorough background check by the American Jewish community.
Reads the lede in an article in Haaretz today. Haaretz
In the case of Obama's government in particular, every criticism against Israel made by a potential government appointee has become a catalyst for debate about whether appointing "another leftist" offers proof that Obama does not truly support Israel.
The nomination/appointments of Chas Freeman and Chuck Hagel have received scrutiny and criticism from Jewish American groups. Now another appointment is drawing attention and some criticism.
TIME reports progress on reconciling the two largest political factions seeking to represent the interests of the Palestinians. This of particular import as Obama's ME peace initiative gathers momentum.
The UN Human Rights Council meets this Tuesday to formally receive the report from the U.N. Fact-Finding Mission on Gaza, headed by Judge Richard Goldstone who will appear before the council
As the UN Human Rights Council prepares to consider the Goldstone Report against Israel's actions in Gaza, a key discussion next week will revolve around a Palestinian-backed resolution that could send the issue to The Hague.
The Council, which is set to meet Tuesday in Geneva, will debate a draft resolution that calls for the endorsement of the report, with a vote expected Thursday or Friday.
A cherished friend sent this to me today.
In a 1936 Letter to C.L. Moore, one of America's first female Science Fiction writers, H.P. Lovecraft described his loathing for Republicans. While times have changed, it appears that criticisms of Republicans haven't changed much.
Disclaimer: I have no financial or other interests in the T shirt company selling this thing. (But is it printed Phthalate free ink, so if you suck on your T shirts like a pacifier, this is good for you)
Is the headline in Haaretz
The Israel Defense Forces has canceled a number of planned arrest operations in the West Bank fearing soldiers will be seen by American diplomats touring the territories.
Recommended by Eiron
- The state of Virginia was an absolute bloodbath for Democrats in 2010. Tom Perriello, a relatively liberal Democrat sitting in a R+5 district that voted for McCain, narrowly went down, as did ...15 comments 5 Recs
- One of the few “perks” of former Members of the House – pretty much the only one, actually -- is that we can go to the Floor of the House whenever the House is in session. Return to the scene ...390 comments 208 Recs
- The largest protest in Israel's history – in which 500,000 people flooded public spaces across the country – has altered the fate of a nation. A new Israel is emerging, and the youth are ...294 comments 528 Recs
- Where do I start? When I was a young boy, I was drawn to certain things like a moth to a flame. My big three passions were classical music, figure skating and growing flowers. As Rufus Wainwright ...84 comments 78 Recs
- It's happening. Now. After 53 days of protests, Israel's social justice movement is holding its final rally, hoping it will be the largest in Israel's history . Hoping it will change ...266 comments 312 Recs
- We hear a lot about how outsourcing reduced cost and the corporations have improved the quality of life for us all. Just some figures drawn from http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/ 1965 ...28 comments 31 Recs
- Jon Cowan , from the odious Third Way (the successors to the now-dead DLC): I ...734 comments 435 Recs
- Torah reading: Deuteronomy 16:18 to 21:10 Haftarah: Isaiah 51:12 to 52:12 Today in America 100 years of social progress is under assault. Much of the charge is being led by ...7 comments 17 Recs
- (Jason Reed/Reuters) I think we now have ...89 comments 33 Recs
- UPDATE (9/12): I just finished discussing this on MSNBC's Dylan Ratigan Show. Click here to watch. Secretary Panetta must justify his "can't ...44 comments 120 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.