I was outraged today to read in a Daily Mail article about John Grisham’s recent bout of verbal diarrhea, wherein he just couldn’t express passionately enough his outrage over prisons now filled with guys [his] age. Sixty-year-old white men in prison who've never harmed anybody, would never touch a child. According to the article, in an interview in The Telegraph, Grisham laments the criminalization of the porno viewing victims of an overly harsh American criminal justice system. And here I was thinking we still had a long way to go in this country, not to mention in the world, toward eradicating sexual abuse and trafficking, child porn, etc. Silly me. But I digress. Unpacking that one statement alone, among Grisham’s other racist, sexist, classist, cringe worthy, and depression inducing statements would require several diaries. And the Telegraph has not even released the entire interview yet (stay tuned this weekend). Alas...I am only one, frustratingly slow, diarist. Nevertheless, the sadness and anger I’m feeling right now compels me to at least attempt to respond to the most immediately asinine aspects of Mr. Grisham’s unrighteous rant. Follow me below the jump if you’re interested in seeing the five question cross examination I’m dying to conduct on Mr. Grisham.
I just responded to a comment in the Front Page diary titled Chief Jackson contradicts Chief Jackson on details of robbery, shooting of unarmed teen.
I am posting that comment and my response below the squigly and asking everyone to FIRST view the video that ALLEGEDLY shows him stealing from a convenience store before consuming any additional media about this case. The spin is most definitely ON.
I was encouraged reading the comments of a diary that was recently on the rec list where many commenters identifying themselves as white showed understanding and empathy with regard to the daily struggle that African American’s still face to walk, talk, bike, purchase, drive, be heroic, be smart, be stupid, be arrested, not be arrested, have pets, and just plain be human while black.
I am also appreciative of the view expressed in some comments that all humans, regardless of race, should be treated with basic human dignity and that those who are, should not be viewed as “privileged”. Makes sense right? Well..sort of. Follow me below the jump if you think there might be something missing.
Traditionally fire protection has been paid for through taxes with everyone receiving equal protection. However, some areas are now replacing the traditional model with a fee-for-service system in which each owner is required to “pay their own way.” Those who forget to pay, refuse to pay, or simply cannot pay are not given any services.
Continue reading on Examiner.com Firefighters again watch a house burn down over failure to pay fee (Video) - National Political Buzz | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/...
More below the jump
While women, children and men are getting their brains blown out in Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and all around this world, yesterday on "Hardball with Chris Matthews," three old men were sitting around a newsroom dangerously near tears in their repeated expressions of sympathy and dismay at the "tragedy" of Mark "don’t cry for me Argentina" Sanford throwing his political career down the toilet by not only cheating on his wife while in office but also deserting his post as Governor during his impromptu, south of the border, booty call. AAAAARGGGGGHHHH!
Witness Tweety’s pain below the fold:
The contraception issue in the stimulus package was a lure. The republicans swallowed it and now Obama gets to not compromise on aspects of this package, and future proposals, that HE feels are non-negotiables.
It's interesting that many on this site want to judge the effectiveness of this long term strategy before we even see the preliminary results. There has been much gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, accusations of treachery, and of "caving for the sake of caving". Are there really so few of us that see this as a strategic move on the President's part?
Recommended by FreeWoman19
- Thanks to reporters Mark Puente & Wesley Lowery for the screen shot: The official list of charges against the 6 officers (not 1, not 2, not 3...*six*) is out:325 comments 414 Recs
- Moments before Joseph Kent vanished on live television Joseph Kent is a well-known activist who has been a leader in organizing nonviolent protests–first in Ferguson, Missouri and now in Baltimore,96 comments 233 Recs
- Jon Stewart unleashes on the situation in Baltimore. Jon Stewart came out punching Tuesday night, in defense of the citizens of Baltimore. Full clip and transcript is below the fold.46 comments 137 Recs
- The video title says that Baltimore City Councilman Carl Stokes "Explodes" when CNN's Erins Burnett asked him "Isn't 'Thugs' the right word to describe these [looters and rioters in Baltimore]?" ...424 comments 569 Recs
- Freddie Gray was killed by Baltimore's police. Baltimore's ghetto youthocracy responded with protests and an exhalation of random street violence. The killing of Freddie Gray, an unarmed black man ...222 comments 206 Recs
- Imagine for a moment that a man's neck was almost severed, nearly clean cut in the most painful way possible, while in the custody of the people charged with the duty of protecting and serving. ...430 comments 410 Recs
- Bloods and Crips uniting and disputing the claims of the Baltimore Police Yesterday, immediately after the funeral of Freddie Gray, the Baltimore Police Department released an ...249 comments 272 Recs
- This is a followup to the diary earlier today "SC police officers to mentally ill woman: I'll let you go if you let me Taser you in the forehead." http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/04/27/1380630/-SC-36 comments 95 Recs
- Update: Good lord -- Baltimore is burning! Please let this end. There have been many great diaries today on the tragic rioting in Baltimore following the funeral of Freddie Gray. Tasini's "...348 comments 464 Recs
- Beating an innocent is so hilarious! Police officers in Inkster, Michigan pulled Floyd Dent over for maybe, possibly not completely stopping at a stop sign and ...125 comments 256 Recs
- No current results.