It's official - the government has been shut down.
The Republican Party, in its seemingly endless intransigence, has thrown a procedural hissy fit because they couldn't extort the changes that they couldn't win through the legislative process, through the courts, and through elections.
The Republicans could not subvert the will of the American people through this process. And now is not the time to bend.
Below the Fleur-De-Kos, I will share with you my favorite recipe for one of my favorite foods... Earthquake Cake.
It's a true recipe for happiness.
Not much is known about the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), known widely here in the United States as North Korea. The country is frequently referred to as a "Hermit Kingdom" - one that has walled itself off, intentionally, from the rest of the world.
However, despite the attempts at secrecy, the occasional video, photo, or simple story escapes with those individuals who escape the country. Stories of brutal repression, of human rights abuses that many of us could not simply fathom.
Out of scandal and crisis, an opportunity is born.
Today in Alpharetta, Georgia, a man suspected of multiple armed bank robberies in Michigan was being pursued by police. As he tried to evade the police, he turned into a strip mall. Traffic prevented him from exiting the parking lot, and police surrounded him. Rather than surrender, he pulled out his handgun and shot himself in the head.
This man was my uncle.
In light of the recent claims that George W. Bush kept us safe*, I think it's time that we examine some other historical legacies to set the record straight.
I would like to apologize to Arkansas State Representative Nate Bell for the poor timing of my comments about him since his insensitive tweet from earlier today for which he has totally and sincerely apologized.
Sometimes you have a conversation with a friend that just leaves you wondering why you were friends with the person in the first place. Today was one of those days.
For over a year I have been unhappy with my job, but powerless to leave it.
I haven't been unhappy with the hours I work, because I have the ability to set my own schedule.
I haven't been unhappy with the money I make, because I have made more money these last few years than I have ever made in my life.
I was unhappy because I didn't like the work that I was doing, and in the grand scheme of things I felt like I was working in an industry that is a big part of "the problem."
In something I hadn't seen reported widely in the media - and something I certainly haven't seen posted here, former Penn State president Graham Spanier recently started a new job working for the federal government.
I could make five diaries an hour about this...
From Examiner.com (among a whole slew of RW outlets):
After spending days pounding on presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney for having a Swiss bank account, disclosure forms show that DNC boss Debbie Wasserman Schultz also had funds in a Swiss bank account at one time.Sounds damning. Except it's not. And I'll tell you why, right after the fleur-de-kos.
Recommended by Great Lakes Liberal
- So I am overjoyed about what happened in Texas, not the least because it was so unexpected, and so....freaking great. I loved every minute of it, and can't tell you how happy I am to have a new ...174 comments 327 Recs
- It's not uncommon these days, if you live in a city, to see vacant houses. The foreclosure crisis has touched so many urban properties, depending upon what city, and what neighborhood, you live in.36 comments 68 Recs
- Courtesy of the DNC, highlights from #RomneyShambles: And in case video isn't your thing, here's some of what we wrote yesterday about Mitt Romney's crash-and-burn trip to the U.K.:102 comments 90 Recs
- Just a short post to introduce Obama's newest punch. It's honest, simple and absolutely devastating. Enjoy:128 comments 311 Recs
- As a new day dawns, realizations begin to sink in, and people who previously had reacted poorly begin to let the truth sink in. There are many who are hurting by the child sexual abuse and coverup ...23 comments 29 Recs
- ...and that's a good thing. 2010 was a bad year for Team Blue – Republicans were in full bay over the Affordable Care Act, and Democratic voters were disillusioned with their elected leaders and ...80 comments 168 Recs
- http://www.dailykos.com/comment/1107692/46713794#c600 As one of the targets of the behavior...(11+ / 0-) I've seen the evidence and can confirm that it was The Nephew that was responsible for this.854 comments 753 Recs
- The day after the 1964 election, I was another undergraduate at The University of Texas attending a Government class in the American Presidency. The professor, along with a lot of us, was basking ...15 comments 54 Recs
- Many of us work to educate others using facts to offset the right wing propaganda machine. We go on the internet to find articles and fact based reports about many subjects to back up our efforts. ...13 comments 17 Recs
- I apologize for posting a second "text-free" diary, but this ad from American Bridge for the 21st Century PAC is dead on target:11 comments 18 Recs
Great Lakes Liberal's Tags
- No current results.