We hereby condemn President Obama's nominee for United States Supreme Court Justice. With all of the viable candidates available to us in this great Homeland of ours, we question this Presidents decision to choose a person who falls so vastly short of acceptability.
I've been around here a LONG, LONG time - since well before the 2004 Presidential Elections. This site helped jump start me in volunteering for the first time for John Kerry. It also helped me get started with making financial donations to the Democratic Party. I remain a firm Democratic "base-voter", and will be pulling all of the "D" levers come November. No questions.
In August of 2005, I took a month off from the "Liberal Media" to spend a month with Bill O'Reilly as my only source of news - 30 Days of Ignorance. It was an exercise in viewing the world from outside of the Democratic Left Wing bubble. I have been on yet another less structured vacation from news and media in general lately. Call it burn out. What this has done, however, is give me a perspective of the Obama Presidency that is probably closer to that of the General Public's view than those of regular DailyKos readers or MSNBC aficionados. And it's not too pretty.
As my username says, I'm an RN. And as my bio says (if you dig that deep), I work with Bone Marrow Transplant and Oncology patients. I see people who are as sick as people can get, and I watch a lot of them lose their battles with cancer. But I also watch them lose their battles with their insurance companies. This inevitably ends their war, regardless of the fight they were putting up beforehand. This is not new to any of you reading DailyKos.
A couple of my most recent patients have really touched me, especially in light of the healthcare reform debates hitting the airwaves nowadays. Watching people - Repubs and conservative Dems alike - gloat over killing healthcare reform, to me, is watching people gloat over killing my patients.
Although I wish I'd done more in hindsight, I did put a lot of money and effort into fighting Prop 8 prior to its shocking passage. Now that my overwhelming anger has subsided to the point where I can think clearly, I'm ready to fight for the inevitable repeal. I have money I'm ready to give, but I'm no legal scholar, and I don't pretend to understand the differences between all of the groups competing for my donations. I'm writing this diary to ask Kossack input into where exactly should I focus my support.
What the HELL is wrong with you people?
I'm an Edwards supporter turned Obama supporter, but the INSANITY of the Hillary Hatred around here is gonna drive me right through the door any minute now. Oh, it won't be GBCW - the primaries will end SOMEDAY. And hopefully Obama will keep up his momentum and win. But all these self-congratulatory Hillary Hating diaries AND front page stories condemning a still REMOTELY possible Democratic candidate are too much. And sad and tiresome.
If she hasn't already, Hillary will probably lose. So what's the point of TWISTING and TWISTING and then FURTHER TWISTING the freaking knife?? Is there a prize at the end of the Primaries for the Kossack who can hate Hillary with the most spite and vitriol? I hope it's a FABULOUS freaking gift!
I only got a little more if you're up for it -->
Hoping the community can help me out here on a slow 'n quiet Friday night. Yes, this is a personal question type of diary that will push more meaningful diaries down the list - SORRY! But I'm kinda at my wit's end with this and you all are SOOO SMART!!!
I've been getting calls from creditors looking for someone else for over a year. No amount of appealling to their "common sense" seems to work.
More details below, if yer so inclined...
I had an absolutely FANTASTIC time here with the Hyperbolic Insults Explosion! Diary, but it didn't accomplish exactly what I'd set out to do. My goal with these diaries is to allow people from all corners of the primary to state their complaints and "concerns" above the Hidden Comments for all to see. It seems to me that nearly every "Candidate Diary" devolves into ugly accusations of "TROLLING" and personal attacks. Often, the same "offensive concerns" are brought up again and again, only to be shot down where non-TU's can't find the thread. Mostly, those threads quickly become threads that truly SHOULD be hidden after all...
I am truly tired of ALL the back and forth screaming at each other that this Primary Season has set off. Not that it's unexpected - I quit lurking as Kerry won the nomination last time around. I know things get ugly, then stay ugly for a while, then rebound to the normal state of MOSTLY not ugly. In the meantime...
I would like to propose a thread, here and now, where ALL sides can vent their most purulent bile - get it outta the way so we can DISCUSS the ISSUES in a civil manner elsewhere! A caveat - when I say vent, I do NOT mean using gratuitous racist or sexist insults. I do NOT want to provide cover for trolls who'd misuse this opportunity to throw out the "B" word or the "N" word - we're better than that. But if you've got a gripe about the way Hillary is ATTACKING Obama - let it OUT! If you think Edwards is a wasted vote - let it OUT! If you think Obama can't win for some reason - let it OUT! And let out these ""CONCERNS"" of yours here and now and, as MUCH as possible, for good!!!
A bit more explanation of why I think this is legitimately important below:
First, and without links, I'd like to express my amazement that one or two articles about a brand new and unproven procedure can send Bushies into exalted self-righteousness over their perceived lack of the need for continued Embryonic Stem Cell Research. Suddenly, a promising but currently unusable breakthrough should make Embryonic Stem Cell studies a thing of the past. And yet, THOUSANDS of pages of research and scientific agreement on the process of Global Warming can be dismissed out of hand due to the financial considerations of his corporate donors. Whatever.
What we need to understand is that while this new stem cell research is PROMISING, it is in no way ready for prime time. It will not be saving people in the very near future, as the procedure is completely unsafe for use in humans at the current time. Also, even the scientists who produced the results(scroll down to first PDF)are saying that their findings should in no way hinder further research using Embryonic Stem Cells. Haven't seen that discussed on the news.
With all of the interest and disgust that we all feel about the Republican scheme to alter the way Electoral College votes in California are distributed, I decided to look at Presidential Election statistics from the past century. I took stats from Wikipedia and several other sources to find out the National Electoral College vote results and the actual Presidential Vote totals for California each year since 1900.
By taking the number of Electoral College votes that California offered during each election and redistributing them by percentage of the vote each candidate recieved, I then figured out what the changes in the National Electoral College vote totals would be.
Obviously, the totals changed each year - goes without saying. What was interesting is that the change never altered who would have won the Presidential Election. The major change would be the net value of winning the state vote in California.
9/11 will always be a day of remembering the people who lost their lives that tragic day. Through whatever fortune, I did not lose anyone personally that day, although I know some people who were in the shadow of the Towers when the planes struck. This date now triggers in me strong memories of all of the people in my life who I have lost, and how those people have shaped me into the person that I am today. I hope to share with you a few of those people, and maybe hear from some of you about lost loved ones who have shifted the path of your life as well.
But you have to keep reading...
(oh, and please consider throwing a recommend to support the guys and get this info up in front of the masses - it would be a BIG help as we get underway)
Recommended by RNinNC
- No, that's not a typo. Here, in America, they are paying disabled workers 3-4 cents per hour. I used to donate to Goodwill, but they've just lost all of my good will. http://investigations.nbcnews.250 comments 117 Recs
- Family. People you’re close to due to a commonality of blood, not ideology. I was going to say something pithy like that to start this diary. But instead I’ll just say it’s Memorial Day. And ...110 comments 639 Recs
- Scott and Frank in Baton Rouge, 2008 Scott, I have not had to work very hard in the past decade to separate our differing views from our close friendship. Somehow, because of the nature of our bond,66 comments 240 Recs
- So this morning I woke to Morning Joe, having fallen asleep watching Rachel's late rerun. They teased an interview with Tim Huelskamp, the wingnut who Boehner recently purged from a powerful ...129 comments 184 Recs
- Hey Boomers. Few things up front, here. First, my absence for the last 520 days was my fault and only my fault. I hope the RKBA folks who I blamed it on at the time can somehow forgive me. I'm sorry.491 comments 886 Recs
- There are only a few hours left until the polls close. Every minute is precious at this point. I know many/most of you have convinced your one non-voter to vote today. But I/we need a million of ...77 comments 268 Recs
- After a hellacious week, I was informed today that come July 1 I’ll be homeless. My landlord, who is my best friend’s mother, wants me to move out so her grandson from NC can move in. She has ...87 comments 106 Recs
- Okay, now it's getting warm in here. (And the "Limbaugh sponsor" of the title wants to be a "not-sponsor," or perhaps an "alleged sponsor," so I gather. Hm.) This morning I posted the following ...280 comments 655 Recs
- The prevalence of Bachi Bazi in Afghanistan is not well known. The term’s literal translation is “playing with boys.” Male children, in the phase preceding puberty, are sought out for a ...19 comments 30 Recs
- My household was called twice last week by Republican pollsters. I had friends who were also called. It is strange that we subsequently didn't hear anything about the results of the poll. Not a peep.135 comments 200 Recs
- No current results.