Just popped along with the Pope's news. Haven't even read it yet, but wanted to be sure it got out there!
St. Lucie county finished its voluntary recount and Murphy is still ahead by 1,907 votes, or .58% just outside the mandatory recount requirement. West is screaming it's all a sham (what else is new?) - time for him to shut up until the vote is certified and then he can PAY for a recount if he wants one if he files in court like the judge told him on Friday.
At 4:45 a.m. today, after 21-hours of non-stop ballot copying and counting, Democratic candidate Patrick Murphy defeated Republican U.S. Rep. Allen West for the District 18 congressional seat.I didn't see an update from Surly Cracker, Joan or Ubiquitous A, but a Facebook friend that lives in FL-18 told me there was an update in the morning paper.
Just wanted to call their attention to it so they can update their wonderful diaries that are tracking this!
I took a vacation day today. After seeing the President on Sunday, I really wanted to do something to help (besides tossing my MasterCard into the campaign pot every few days).
I've done a little phone calling with the Dashboard the last couple of weeks - not as much as I wanted to, because sometimes I don't get home early enough - it closes at 9:30 every night so we don't annoy people too much.
So today, I drove over to the local phone banking place and did 240 calls between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm - only got to speak to about 50 people in real time, but left well over 120 messages and made notes about the wrong numbers / disconnects so the lists can be updated for our Florida mid-terms (and getting rid of Voldemort election) in 2014.
Having been on the receiving end of hundreds of hang ups the last couple of weeks, I tried to leave a nice reminder message for every machine I talked to, so at least it wasn't an annoying hang up thing.
I had some good talks and some bad talks... a little more beyond the orange cotton ball...
I had such a great time (me and 23,000 friends) yesterday at the rally at McArthur High School. It was really worth the 9 hour wait in the hot sun!!
I'm not very good at this diary stuff yet - I've only written one diary and this is the first time I've used pictures. I tried to make them smaller, but they seem to be awfully big - hope that's OK.
More pix below the orange cloud (oh I wish we'd had a few clouds to hide the sun yesterday - my nose is bright pink - doesn't go with orange at all!)
I live in Florida.
The first time I voted was in 2000.
I've been so bombarded by stupid PAC ads for R/R that I'm constantly switching channels on my radio or TV and writing to all the stations telling them that, while I understand free speech and ad buys, why don't they vet the ads for LIES?
I am off from work today because of Hurricane Sandy. I'm working from home and watching the Today Show, getting stressed over 5 or 6 Rove ads in a row, when I see this:
First time it's been on where I've seen it - it made me cry, because it DOES matter and I've always wondered what the course of our history would have been if Al Gore had fought harder and won the case. It made me brave enough to attempt posting my first diary here on DK (and even embed a video - hope it works!)
And, while the weather is still only "iffy" (supposed to get worse later), I'm driving over to the election office to deliver my Absentee Ballot. I want to know it's in their hands and not lost in the mail somewhere.
Then I'll come home and work, so that I have the whole weekend to go to my Pembroke Pines OFA office and see if there is something I can do to help GOTV. Early voting starts tomorrow!
Get out and vote. Tell your family. Tell your friends. Make it an event - take your kids and do it together - celebrate afterwards - go to the park, go to a movie, go home and remind your neighbors to go vote!
Because every vote DOES matter.
Update below the Orange Cloud Thing!
Recommended by Ricochet67
- After enduring a week of rain... A spring snow storm...62 comments 108 Recs
- Good guy, Stephen Colbert gives a lesson in charitable giving.318 comments 773 Recs
- We've had a good run. We've been together 21 years, 7 of them legally wed. But this is all about to crash and burn around our ears thanks to 66-year-old Sylvia Driskell of Auburn Nebraska. ...701 comments 448 Recs
- My quilt has arrived! I do not have the words to thank you all. Welcome, fellow travelers on the grief journey and a special welcome to anyone new to The Grieving Room. We meet every Monday ...74 comments 119 Recs
- It's time to do some celebrating. We have been planning this for a while.64 comments 97 Recs
- Last week in Texas, a Republican lawmaker proposed an amendment so outrageous, that even some of his own GOP colleagues were repulsed. ...553 comments 368 Recs
- Those of you who ...50 comments 78 Recs
- Seeeeee????77 comments 75 Recs
- President Obama appeared at the White House Correspondents' Dinner this weekend. The president was self-deprecating at times. He continued to milk the "Obama as a foreign Muslim" angle to loud ...107 comments 228 Recs
- They know our plans. They just don't know when they will be launched.42 comments 89 Recs
- No current results.