Leave it to Pat to use the latest tragedy to spew his twisted version of Christianity. Yes, it's the fault of the people who live in Tornado Alley that their homes get hit by tornadoes. Of course, Tornado Alley actually takes up a large part of the central part of our country, leaving one to wonder where Pat thinks people should live, if you include his lumping in earthquakes and floods. I'm not sure if there are any places that are completely free of natural disasters, but if there are, I am sure that we couldn't fit everyone into it.
Those of you who don't live in California may not have heard of Huell Howser, who died on Sunday. A Marine Corps veteran from Tennessee, for nearly three decades he was the host of several public television series spotlighting all that was beautiful, unusual or interesting in and around Los Angeles as well as the state as a whole. His aw-shucks demeanor and enthusiasm could seem exaggerated or silly, but in watching his shows it became obvious that he was genuinely interested in the places he visited, the people he met and the stories they had to tell.
Update: More remembrances and tributes in this diary.
Recommended by SchuyH
- There is a lot of talk today, primarily by fundamentalist Protestant Christians, about the persecution of Christians in the United States and their projections about where this trend is headed. With ...14 comments 28 Recs
- Welcome to the Tuesday Coffee Hour here on Street Prophets. This is an open thread where we can hang out and talk about what’s going on in our worlds. There’s been some occasional discussion ...8 comments 9 Recs
- Welcome to the Tuesday Coffee Hour here on Street Prophets. This is an open thread where we can hang out and talk about what’s going on in our worlds. I thought we might talk about user names.106 comments 35 Recs
- Torah Readings: Leviticus chapter 16 in the morning, Leviticus chapter 18 in the afternoon. Haftarah Readings: Isaiah 57:14 to 58:14 in the morning, the Book of Jonah in the afternoon. Chapter ...70 comments 37 Recs
- Union Pacific Railroad is going to attempt to get Big Boy #4014 back in service . For those of you who have no idea who "Big Boy" is, it's one of the surviving ...78 comments 102 Recs
- Hello and welcome to Street Prophet's Open Thread. All topics, photos and videos welcome. It is nice to be back after taking a short break while remodeling our home. Thank you Ojibwa and ...26 comments 23 Recs
- Last year was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad one for Richard Land, one of the most prominent leaders of the religious right over the last quarter-century. His tenure as president of the ...9 comments 16 Recs
- Back in 2009, Julie Miller of Marion County, Oregon (Salem), was denied credit by a bank due to an erroneous credit rating from Equifax. She spent almost three years trying to get Equifax to fix ...114 comments 199 Recs
- 16 comments 56 Recs
- Torah reading: Deuteronomy 3:23 to 7:11. First Haftarah of Consolation: Isaiah 40:1-26. Given that I have a penchant for seeking out challenges, I’m going to focus in on an excerpt from ...39 comments 16 Recs
- No current results.