The Senate Judiciary Committee today is having hearings regarding reauthorization of expiring provisions of the USA Patriot Act. Senator Franken was concerned with a provision about roving wiretaps and how the Patriot Act doesn’t require the government to name its target.
I had a bit of a debate last evening with a friend of a friend on facebook.
I did not know him, but he was responding to my friend just stating she “wants universal healthcare”
His first response was snarky and meant to offend her
“Yeah... I totally love communism too!”
Then came a series of right wing talking points that I vehemently disagreed with and the debate was on. By the way, he ended up calling me “Pastor” in one of our later posts because I had the nerve to bring the Ten Commandments into the debate. The nerve of me!!!
Follow me over the fold to see how he thinks that folks need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps so they too can have insurance.
Seems almost lost in the hub bub of all that is happening these past few days, but yesterday President Obama issued an order that eliminates one of George Bush and Alberto Gonzalez's first vile collaborations.
A nasty little executive order Bush issued to make secrecy the rule of his administration.
I found this video online and was blown away with how this was edited together to demonstrate just how closely tied George W. Bush and Sarah Palin are. I was really taken about at how much alike they seemed and how they used similar verbiage. I assume she is being "coached" by many of the same folks or their protege who "coached" GWB
It's not enough that she seems kind of like him and Cheney, but she actually seems to be channeling them verbatim.
When it comes to his health, John McCain asks voters to be gamblers. Over the last couple of weeks we have watched the implosion of John McCain's Vice Presidential choice, Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.
Her performance has left even right wing pundits concerned about her capacity to assume the Presidency, and because McCain would be the oldest individual ever to take office, and has had four bouts with Melanoma, a very aggressive form of skin cancer, there is every reason to believe that indeed she has a very real possibility of becoming President.
Now I don't want to be unfair because I recognize there are millions of Americans who are cancer survivors, I have family and friends who are survivors, but I also know how insidious this disease can be and those millions are not running for the most powerful office in the land. So follow me over the fold to understand how and why this must become a part of the political dialog before this campaign concludes.
I am afraid that we are all facing the blowback from a President who has cried wolf once too many times.
This fable attributed to Aesopand about a bored shepherd boy who entertained himself by calling out "wolf". Villagers who came to his rescue found that the alarms were false and that they had wasted their time. When the boy was actually confronted by a wolf, the villagers did not believe his cries for help. The moral is stated at the end of the fable as:
Even when liars tell the truth, they are never believed. The liar will lie once, twice, and then perish when he tells the truth.
We need to flood the newspapers both large and small with letters calling McCains campaign suspension what it is. A Crock. It makes no sense and is nothing but a stunt to push the reset button on this joke of a campaign that McBush is involved in.
Not only is it stupid, it is also bad precedent. I worry that first we start by suspending a campaign, next we proceed to canceling an election.
Here is my letter to the editor of my local paper. WE need to FLOOD all media with letters demanding that this campaign go forward and that McCain cease this silliness.
According to the an article in the September 20th issue of The Anchorage Daily News, there is more to Troopergate than why Commissioner of Public Safety Walt Monegan was fired. An equally important question would be why Chuck Kopp was hired to replace him.
So who is Chuck Kopp and why is he important to Sarah Palin, the Troopergate investigation, her selection as VP for John McCain and the Christian right. Follow me over the fold.
Last night Rachel Maddow bested Keith Olbermann's numbers, not only that, she beat long time CNN work horse Larry Kings show in the ratings. Folks, this is no small task and I think a huge congrats should go out to Keith O. and MSNBC suits for taking a chance on this fine talent that many of us here at the KOS and elsewhere in the blogosphere knew was going to go far.
She has proven to be the real deal and each night her show is improving, she seems to get more comfortable with the TV Machine format and I predict that it's only going to get better with time.
I wrote letters to the editor today. Starting with the New York Times. If we really want to change the topic and challenge the conversation that the media is trying to have about petty, small, and distracting things then we must take action. Do more than sit around and gripe, wring our hands and backseat drive.
Write a letter to the editor or to the television networks that are pushing this current "catnip" of distraction so intently. Here is my letter to the New York Times this morning. It will be a template for my letter to my own local paper as well.
BarackObama.com has a great tool that can help you write to the Editors of papers in your community and across the country. So lets get it started.
Recommended by Seattlite
- By BILL MOYERS and MICHAEL WINSHIP The inauguration of a president is one of those spectacles of democracy that can make us remember we're part of something big and enduring. So for a few hours ...222 comments 789 Recs
- Once again, it's time for "Blame Obama!"...except now it's from our side. This is why they're wrong.I'm not big into calling out people on our own side, even less so when it's someone I tend to like and enjoy. ...845 comments 262 Recs
- No matter who you want to blame, the buck stops at the President's door. We can play politics all we want to, but I believe what is going on in our nation is a critical mass of deep corruption, that ...1718 comments 379 Recs
- I know some people who like Ayn Rand . You may as well. Her hyper-individualist Social Darwinism serves as the ideological foundation of the Tea ...437 comments 213 Recs
- If you're thinking of staying home, you're thinking of making a mistake. Right now, the Republicans are ...1152 comments 748 Recs
- The National Association of Free Health Clinics is holding its second clinic this Saturday in Little Rock. This was ...123 comments 229 Recs
- From the Advocate : Gov. Don Carcieri vetoed legislation Tuesday that would have ...370 comments 330 Recs
- I monitor local news feeds from roughly 350+ MI news sources and I found a little nugget that I thought might be of interest to the readers of this board. Bart Stupak is hosting a town hall ...262 comments 498 Recs
- In my career I have to work with a lot of people with both alcohol and drug addictions. What always strikes me is the excuses that family members make for the addict. I wish I had a dollar for every ...410 comments 566 Recs
- I took DavidNYC's list and narrowed it down: who were the House Dems in R-leaning districts who voted for the House health care ...162 comments 392 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.