Section 1006 of the debt ceiling bill appears to make another debt ceiling crisis much more difficult for Congress to initiate. In addition to permitting the administration to increase borrowing unless forbidden by congress - the opposite of the past in which borrowing beyond the ceiling required permission, it seems to me that new debt ceiling legislation is fast-tracked through both houses.
Exit polls revealed that Republicans lost the minority vote. Losing African Americans was no surprise and Republicans have no hopes nor plans nor policy changes other than voter suppression to deal with that demographic.
Regarding Hispanics however, Republican political and thought leaders are hopeful that making some changes can attract more Hispanic votes. This will be more difficult for them than many imagine ...
Fox News owner Rupert Murdoch, who criticized Romney throughout the campaign for his hard right tack on immigration, tweeted that the U.S. “must sweeping, generous immigration reform.”The Hill
Hannity said on his radio show that he’s “evolved” on the issue and now supports a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants.
Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff (R), a pro-amnesty Republican, decried his fellow Republicans’ decision to “pander to what they thought was the base of the party — the loud, shrill anti-immigration voices out there.”
“In order to move forward as a party and a nation on this critical issue we need to reject the extreme right-wing partisan rantings of the Joe Arpaios and Kris Kobachs who do not represent the majority of the Republican Party,” he said.
Arpaio is an anti-immigration Arizona sheriff, while Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach (R) authored the controversial Arizona immigration law, portions of which were struck down by the Supreme Court.
But the border hawks aren’t going anywhere — and predicted a war within the party if Boehner and other Republicans seek to push forward on a comprehensive reform plan.
“They appear to be making a pure political calculation regardless of principle and policy because they think it'll garner votes,” Kobach told The Hill. “I think individuals like Krauthammer and Boehner may have their thoughts they've developed from their high perches but members of Congress are in touch with voters and citizens of America are very anti-amnesty… we have 20 million people unemployed and Republican leaders and now saying it's time for amnesty? That's absurd.”
“I think pandering is the worst way to respond, it'd be a huge mistake and amnesty is a terrible decision, a terrible bill,” said Bay Buchanan, another Romney surrogate and the sister of former presidential candidate Pat Buchanan, a longtime opponent of amnesty.
“If leadership attempts to move in this direction there will be an internal battle on this, it'll be very vocal and it'll be very national,” she said.
The US Territory of Guam conducts a presidential straw poll as part of its ordinary election process. This poll correctly predicted the subsequent US Presidential winner every election since 1984.
Obama - 23,067 (73.2%)
Romney - 8,443 (26.8%)
Note that the President did better this year than back in 2008. What does that suggest about election night returns here on the mainland?
Obama - 20,119 (62.7%)
McCain - 11,941 (37.3%)
Recommended by SteveAustin
- Last week (8 Oct), Sam Wang at the Princeton Election Consortium Blog reported on some interesting findings on partisan swings in gerrymandered Republican districts : Representatives who benefited ...6 comments 18 Recs
- Anyone who's monitored the religious right knows that they've operated on the same cycle for the better part of the last 30 years--gain a little power, overreach big time, get smacked down hard. ...201 comments 350 Recs
- I saw this coming. There been talk around my town of the 'riot' on Ole Miss campus after President Barack Obama's re-election. I personally don't think it was a riot, however it still makes the ...154 comments 354 Recs
- All three major cable news networks (MSNBC, CNN, and FOX) used the RCP polling average to argue that the race was a dead heat, and that Romney had a legitimate path to 270 electoral votes. From ...11 comments 12 Recs
- Republicans have largely based their successes in House elections since 1992 on grabbing the low hanging fruit of white, conservative southern seats held by Dems--either by beating them or by taking ...29 comments 28 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.