So, I just finished watching the Patriots go to 11-3, another AFC East crown, feeling very good. And then I stupidly picked up the phone when it rang, and my good mood went away very quickly. It was the Democratic Party Senatorial Campaign calling.
This evening, in a vote of 8-1 with Councilman Bill Bigot DeSteph the lone vote against (more on Bill the Bigot below), Virginia Beach City Council approved plans for the construction of a mosque.
While approved, I am still sickened by the ignorance and the bigotry on display at the council hearing. Follow me over the orange squiggle to see why.
Here's the text of injuries, usurpations, etc. given as reasons why we declared our independence, then below the orange thingy, a few thoughts.
He has refused his Assent to Laws, the most wholesome and necessary for the public good.
He has forbidden his Governors to pass Laws of immediate and pressing importance, unless suspended in their operation till his Assent should be obtained; and when so suspended, he has utterly neglected to attend to them.
He has refused to pass other Laws for the accommodation of large districts of people, unless those people would relinquish the right of Representation in the Legislature, a right inestimable to them and formidable to tyrants only.
He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.
He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.
He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected; whereby the Legislative powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.
He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.
He has obstructed the Administration of Justice, by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary powers.
He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone, for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries.
He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance.
He has kept among us, in times of peace, Standing Armies without the Consent of our legislatures.
He has affected to render the Military independent of and superior to the Civil power.
He has combined with others to subject us to a jurisdiction foreign to our constitution, and unacknowledged by our laws; giving his Assent to their Acts of pretended Legislation:
For Quartering large bodies of armed troops among us:
For protecting them, by a mock Trial, from punishment for any Murders which they should commit on the Inhabitants of these States:
For cutting off our Trade with all parts of the world:
For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:
For depriving us in many cases, of the benefits of Trial by Jury:
For transporting us beyond Seas to be tried for pretended offences
For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province, establishing therein an Arbitrary government, and enlarging its Boundaries so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these Colonies:
For taking away our Charters, abolishing our most valuable Laws, and altering fundamentally the Forms of our Governments:
For suspending our own Legislatures, and declaring themselves invested with power to legislate for us in all cases whatsoever.
He has abdicated Government here, by declaring us out of his Protection and waging War against us.
He has plundered our seas, ravaged our Coasts, burnt our towns, and destroyed the lives of our people.
He is at this time transporting large Armies of foreign Mercenaries to compleat the works of death, desolation and tyranny, already begun with circumstances of Cruelty & perfidy scarcely paralleled in the most barbarous ages, and totally unworthy the Head of a civilized nation.
He has constrained our fellow Citizens taken Captive on the high Seas to bear Arms against their Country, to become the executioners of their friends and Brethren, or to fall themselves by their Hands.
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
So, the tax refund came in and after being a good little do-bee and paying some debt, it was off to Sears for a new over-the-range microwave to complete the last of the great appliance replacement project of 2011 - 2013.
Why Sears? Because Ally works there, and has done a great job by us on many purchases over these past 3 years. And once again, we made out on the microwave, and it will be delivered and installed on Thursday.
But, follow me over the orange thingy to see how the other couple working with Ally that day paid $80 more than we did for an inferior product.
Just caught the following on NBCNEWS.COM
Let me be the first to say: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
In my paper today is Jennifer Rubin's latest column from The Washington Post. Pure comedic genius, except that I guess it's meant to be her actual opinion. Which is: "George W. Bush has a legacy which is becoming more impressive with time." If you can manage the gag factor, follow me over the orange thingy for a few laughs.
Update: Link to whole story Bush Legacy
In an announcement today, Tom Perriello says that he won't run for governor next year. This comes on the heels of last week's announcements that Mark Warner won't give up his Senate seat to run, and on the Republican side Lt. Governor Bolling won't run either.
This leaves us with Terry McAuliffe (D) vs Ken Cucinelli (R) pretty much as a done deal. Follow me over the orange fleur-de-kos for my take on it.
I'll be bad, just a short diary, but haven't seen this one yet.
First, he talks about encouraging immigration of people with college diplomas, advanced degrees "attach a green card to their diploma". Now, not to say there aren't Latin and Central American immigrants that do have college degrees, but most come here without one and work to make their lives better so their children can get one. So Mittens wouldn't find a path for them.
Then in the follow up, he went there - "illegals". Clear as day, he called them undocumented illegals. What a disgrace, to call a fellow human being an illegal. I hope this gets talked up big time.
That's it, short and sweet tonite.
An article from Politico was reprinted in my local paper today, talking about Democrats videotaping GOP candidate houses and personal events. Is this a legitimate campaign tactic or does this go too far into harrassment?
I'm showing my age :), but does anyone remember Sir James Goldsmith? Ever see the movie Other People's Money? Follow me over the fold to see how Mitt Romney's Bain Capital is far more insidious and damaging than Sir James ever was.
Just reading that MP Global, John Corzine's brokerage firm, has filed for bankruptcy, and is being investigated for improperly failing to segregate customer's funds from the brokerage's funds. Customers are out approximately $700M. Follow me over the fold for some thoughts.
Story on www.msnbc.com today - in Cleveland, Texas, an 11 year-old girl was raped by at least 18 and maybe more adult and adolescent men. Horrific story, but the most horrifying part to me is this quote:
"Maturity or not I'm pretty sure she knew what she was doing," Robin Smith, 24, a cashier in Cleveland
Follow me over the fold to see why I lost my lunch on this.
Recommended by absdoggy
- $343 is not that much money...but it is needed by tomorrow. I posted a diary earlier via the Daily Kos Fund Raisers group, but it didn't get much attention and only raised $60 - which I and Fineena ...194 comments 342 Recs
- April 24, 1915. One Hundred Years. A Century with no "official" acknowledgement that it even happened. Today, in a Mass at St. Peter's, with Armenian Church ...76 comments 170 Recs
- Bib Netanyahui's statements about Arabs "voting in droves", using settlements to separate Jerusalem from Palestinian Bethlehem and his rejection of the two-state plan shocked many Americans, ...111 comments 155 Recs
- American police will kill you . Run from them , they'll kill you.355 comments 523 Recs
- I like Bill but I find this a little baffling. Starting at about 3:32 of the video above, he says this: This may surprise you, but I am not a big fan of Rush Limbaugh. However, if you're one of ...278 comments 142 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'm rec-begging this time...because there's a graph at the end which took a *ton* of time to put together, and I'd hate to see it go down the memory hole. First, a quiet, normal ...53 comments 587 Recs
- The conservative press is all up with the news, the most people are out of work than any other time in history. A record 92,898,000 Americans 16 years and older did not participate in the labor ...22 comments 23 Recs
- I got this one via DCCC email. It shows GOTV door knockings and call banking in the last 3 elections. The activist base, including most Kossacks, made an effort. But when the possible voters ...10 comments 24 Recs
- It doesn't matter how great your marketing campaign is. You can't sell your dog food if the dogs won't eat it. ---Old Madison Avenue proverb So here we are once more. Another electoral drubbing ...967 comments 705 Recs
- Tired of all those moochers living off your tax dollars with their fancy… crossing guards?? Yes, crossing guards. The ones who stop traffic and wave to parents in school zones as little children ...28 comments 28 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.