Do you have any lesser-known podcast-ings to share with us all? Mine are below the fold. (And just in case you don’t go there...Sam Seder is back!)
Rachel Maddow took out a full-page ad this week in the Boston Globe, telling Sen. Scott Brown, R-MA, to stop claiming that she is running against him for office.
Brown’s ploy is an obvious attempt to squeeze cash out of his chronically gullible base--and I wish Rachel luck fighting it. But, is telling the truth the best tactic?
My modest proposal: To reach those who believe only lies, simply lie.
Just put out a story...here...I’ll even do it for her:
Amazingly, this has been the only decade in this first century of recorded music that did NOT have it's own distinct sound. 2008 or 1998--they can't be told apart.
The St. Petersburg Times' Politifact.com fact checking web site has revealed the #1 lie of the year.
First, here is #2:
• "A claim by conservative talk show host Glenn Beck that John Holdren, President Barack Obama's top science adviser, "has proposed forcing abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population."
For #1, click on...
Uganda is expected to soon legislate the death penalty for gays...and even if you are not gay, just saying "gay marriage is okay," can get you life in prison. Know a gay person and fail to turn him in? 3 years prison (see the bill here).
"Crazy Moslems!" you are thinking? Nope. Christians are implicated--specifically, an AMERICAN cult called The Family, whose members include "pro-family" adulterers Sen. John Ensign, Gov. Mark Sanford, and former Rep. Chip Pickering.
UPDATE X1: See related diary, US "Christians" exporting rabid homophobia to Africa.
- Your favorite podcasts? (I heart Rachel!)
- I finally learned how to subscribe. Turns out, not so hard.
- Check out the iTunes podcast page. Why so few subscribers to Clear Channel programs? Could it be American (monopoly) radio s#cks?
Coming to a
book store Walmart near you, Palin's book tour is posted below the fold (including a stop here in Columbus). Suggestions for flyers/posters/signs? How about:
- "Palin/Cigna, 2012!" (saw this snark poster on Rachel)
- "Palin/Prejean, 2012!" (kudos to kevvboy for this one)
- W's face on Palin's bod/hairdoo. (Photo-shop volunteer?)
Or should we just stay home and ignore her?
Last night Rachel Maddow made a marvelous point: It is idiotic for Democrats to continually legitimize Republican lies by caving to them...most recently, caving to Rep. Joe Wilson's lie by proposing to add ADDITIONAL anti-immigrant verbiage to a health bill that ALREADY denies them coverage.
I offer a creative alternative to caving. My email to Rachel below the fold. (And I'm dead serious. This is not just snark.)
Everyone knows about "birthers" (a movement based on the incontrovertible fact that Jesus would never allow a non-white President), and "deathers" (this just in...Canadian socialized medicine extermination camps!!!).
But have you heard about the Pelosi-ers, who assert that Pelosi--NOT George Bush--was president for the past 8 years?
They do have some convincing evidence...
As I sit here staring expectantly at my Backwards Bush clock (15 days, 17 hours, 8 minutes, 21 seconds) I got to reminiscing, and recalled the FIRST Bush scandal (post election, anyway). Remember what it was?
Here's hint. It was a lie that is still being repeated, most recently by Babwa Wahwah in November on The View (about 4:30 on this Youtube), where she is talking about "$50,000 in intentional damage."
Forget the fairness doctrine. Not even progressive broadcasters support it (despite the right-wing hand wringing). Thom Hartmann has warned it would be a double-edged sword, allowing right-wingers to demand equal time on AAR for GOP talking points. And as Stephanie Miller has said, what we need is fairness, not the fairness doctrine.
Ed Schultz says the root cause remedy is ownership—and a study has shown that independent stations have more balanced broadcasting. True. But last week Schultz too quickly dismissed a caller with a great idea: That media lying be regulated. And the idea is not new.
Did you catch Palin today, citing a New York Times article about Obama "pallin’ around with terrorists"--while the article actually said the exact opposite? Which brings to mind the Ninth Commandment:
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Somebody please warn Gov. Palin that her immortal soul is in peril. And if she dies this night without making amends, she is headed for eternal damnation. (More verses below.)
Recommended by daulton
- People came from all over Ohio to support public workers battle former Fox News host/Lehman Brothers executive John Kasich's assault on the middle class.20 comments 29 Recs
- Last Friday I blogged about an absurd New York Times article that highlighted a Democrat that ...187 comments 341 Recs
- I'll tell you who does : Peter Yarrow , of the legendary folk trio, Peter, Paul & Mary, and an ...97 comments 185 Recs
- Running an energy empire of Oil refineries and Coal mining -- Millions of Dollars . Funding the Groups who ...225 comments 137 Recs
- Oh my, we got ourselves quite a tail-wagging going on in Wisconsin. You are thinking, what? This is about collective bargaining and workers' rights! Bullshit. You are being wagged. As always this ...247 comments 510 Recs
- The battle of those who don't have much left against those that want it all seems to be coming to some as a surprise. The super wealthy super elites have manipulated the masses through thought ...49 comments 71 Recs
- Please inform as many people as you can about the following. The "Patriot Action Network" is planning to infiltrate union rallies across the country (and really hope Kos sees this.)301 comments 488 Recs
- All lawyers remember the law school exam questions that involve the appearance of a client with a myriad of legal problems that you, as the attorney for the client, are supposed to be able to advise ...147 comments 162 Recs
- Back-to-back pieces, in yesterday's and today's NY Times, by columnists Charles Blow and Bob Herbert, respectively, remind us of the ongoing, qualitative and quantitative devastation currently ...143 comments 219 Recs
- I called and made the point that, effectively, what is happening is that the Governor of Wisconsin is increasing taxes on the teachers and other government workers. I mean, when all is said and done,24 comments 40 Recs
- No current results.