Are you excited about the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight? Yeah? How about watching it on HBO pay per view since you won’t be able to score a ticket that is sure to cost in the 5 figures.
Yes there has been a lot of economic growth, but only in the top 1% of the people.
In 2011, the income gap between rich and poor people grew to the widest in more than 40 years, and the poverty rate remained at almost a two-decade high. And now, there are 46.2 million people in poverty. This number is the highest in 53 years since the Census Bureau has been collecting the statistic.
But the current political discourse in the country is not where it is supposed to be. Cutting the poverty rate starts in investing in education. We need to get people out of the low-paying jobs-- it is the biggest factor in poverty. Modern education and skill development is a strategy that works well for people to attain higher paying, and self-fulfilling jobs.
My name is Don, and this is my second Diary, my first one was in 2008.
Just a decade before the current situation in the Sudan, the genocide in Rwanda ravaged the area where millions of people were slaughtered like "cockroaches". The world said never again. Then the Sudan genocide happened, and we all just watch as it unravels.
I do not believe that a favorable resolution from the United Nations Security Council should be a sine qua non for a limited armed intervention to protect innocent civilians in the Darfur region of the Sudan.
Recommended by donsnyc
- I've been asked by several commenters to turn my listing of Obama's inaction into a diary. I hope this conveys why the GLBT community has been so upset over the last few months with Obama and the ...1267 comments 422 Recs
- The White House has announced that, as expected, President Obama will offer gay federal employees domestic partner benefits.502 comments 228 Recs
- UPDATE : Political pundits ...45 comments 14 Recs
- Ann Coulter garners more attention than she deserves, but as a public service allow me to share some tidbits about the town where she grew up. At the least this will provide a basis of understanding,459 comments 312 Recs
- [ Promoted by Meteor Blades ]386 comments 704 Recs
- It was a beautiful, warm day in June. Clear blue sky, fresh air. I pulled my car into the parking lot of the hotel. Funny that we always have these meetings at hotels. Something seems sleazy about ...482 comments 636 Recs
- Note: I am usually a wait-and-see kind of guy. But some things are worth freaking out over. I may be freaking out over nothing at all, but I'd rather suffer the ...642 comments 729 Recs
- Stanley Ann Dunham. She had a dream, too. It came true. I said it before, and I’ll say it again, Thank you ...166 comments 680 Recs
- Since the opening invocation by the Rt. Rev. V. Gene Robinson, Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire, was excluded from HBO's copyright coverage of the pre-Inaugural festivities on Sunday, here is what ...758 comments 464 Recs
- [ source of audio recording used in video #1 : Saddleback Church ]919 comments 460 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.