I wrote a letter to my very Republican senator, John Cornyn, who happens to be on the Senate Judiciary Committee. I know he won't support anyone Obama chooses for Supreme Court Justice, but he could at least give some an easier time. I argue that his best candidate is Diane wood. I mention the failed nomination of Homer Thornberry as an example of why Cornyn should support a Texan. This argument is not one of policy, but an argument to a Republican Senator about what his lesser of all evils choice would be. This letter was originally posted at www.burndownblog.com
Rep. John Culberson (TX-07) is awfully proud of his Twitter account. He Tweets all the time. But if you don’t like what he has to say, its an awfully embarrassing outlet for one awful congressman.
Luckily, Twitter allows users to respond to other people’s tweets. Thus resulted in this day-long exchange between Culberson and various persons from Rice University. Read it for yourself, but I think he may have encouraged underage drinking.
Hey, let's be all snarky about Palin's speech. It'll be fun, you betcha!
"Our destiny to be reached by responsibly developing our natural resources. This land, blessed with clean air, water, wildlife, minerals, AND oil and gas. It's energy! God gave us energy."
Really? I always thought it was James Prescott Joule. Or at least Nicolas Clément.
Every one - all 15 of the ethics complaints have been dismissed. We've won! But it hasn't been cheap - the State has wasted THOUSANDS of hours of YOUR time and shelled out some two million of YOUR dollars to respond to "opposition research"
Gah! Free press and open courts are waaay too expensive.
Today the Supreme Court decided Ricci v. DeStefano, which concerned a test to determine the promotion of firefighters. This case has been thrust to the forefront of the news cycle because
- It involved racism, and
- Sotomayor was one of the three judges to hear it on the 2nd circuit.
Now, as far as I can tell from reading various news and Internet sources the majority decision was something along the lines of: "SOTOMAYOR IS AN UNQUALIFIED ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT RACIST!!!" repeated for 93 pages, with Alito writing a concurring opinion to say that Ginsburg is dumb and smells. Apparently, this Supreme Court ruling is proof that Sotomayor's decision for the case when it was at the 2nd circuit was wrong and poorly argued. But anyone who has actually read the case history should be asking: "What Sotomayor decision."
All over the news and punditsphere, Sonia Sotomayor has been touted as a highly likely choice to replace Justice Souter on the Supreme Court. One of her selling points, outside being a highly accomplished and intelligent jurist, is that she would be the first Hispanic Surpeme Court Justice. However, this claim ignores Benjamin N. Cardozo, a Sephardic Jew of Hispanic ancestry.
It must have been nice for Rep. Culberson (TX-07)over the last eight years. A cushy job in office, usual Republican kickbacks, and no attacks to bother him. Well those times are over...
This is my first diary, and you know, with polls starting to match people's excitement about Obama and pundits talking about 60 Democratic Senators, sometimes I feel a bit left out because what really gets my political rockets a-burnin' is often overlooked...
Find out what it is, after the jump
Recommended by evan7257
- In 1967, students at Rice University set up a two-watt radio station, broadcasting news, music and covering notable local events. Over the past forty-three years, the station has grown to a 50,000-...23 comments 75 Recs
- Former Chairman of the Texas State Board of Education Don McLeroy plagiarized his contribution to curriculum standards on "American exceptionalism" from Wikipedia. Rick Perry's appointee, Texas ...210 comments 499 Recs
- [The premise of this diary has been debunked by Snopes .] In a 2003 lawsuit Fox News admitted that they lie and distort the news, yet now they complain that the White House refuses to treat them ...16 comments 48 Recs
- Last week, I published a diary called The CCC - FDR's Forest Army, focussing on the very first Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) crews, who worked on construction of Shenandoah National Park in ...103 comments 158 Recs
- Alright, well, it isn't an epic smackdown of MMA proportions, or anything even close, but... it was illegal and if I had done it to him, I would have been forcibly sprawled upon the floor with guns ...374 comments 475 Recs
- And your club has been dissolved. The legacy of Jerry Falwell, who explained why 9/11 ...576 comments 345 Recs
- I posted at RedState under the name Han_Pritcher. I have not been banned. I simply gave up. After a year as a "liberal contrarian" I have simply lost any sense of purpose to it. I learned a lot ...640 comments 498 Recs
- The coolest thing about being African-American and bilingual Italian is that when you go to a model casting in Milan and are pointed to the sign that reads "no ragazze di colore" (no colored girls), ...747 comments 681 Recs
- Was it another Jon Stewart vs. Jim Cramer takedown? Another case of a faux newsman going where the mainstream media dared not go? It was shocking last night to watch the usually pro-...373 comments 662 Recs
- I'm seeing that there is a top rated diary complaining that Obama laughed off a question about legalization of marijuana. In fact, that's not what he was asked at all. Here's the transript:592 comments 467 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.