I have always been so puzzled why so many middle class Americans would even support a republican ticket. Why would people vote against their own economic interest? Of course, that is a question many of us have been asking ourselves for a LONG time. I remember when republicans invoked the line "Class Warfare". It has now changed to "redistribution of wealth" or "socialism". I think I know why.
As many of you know, Henry Paulson was on 60 minutes last night and stated that he did not see this coming. Well, I do know of one person that saw this coming, Eliot Spitzer. On the 14th of February of this year, Eliot Spitzer wrote an Oped Piece to the New York times.
Several years ago, state attorneys general and others involved in consumer protection began to notice a marked increase in a range of predatory lending practices by mortgage lenders. Some were misrepresenting the terms of loans, making loans without regard to consumers' ability to repay, making loans with deceptive "teaser" rates that later ballooned astronomically, packing loans with undisclosed charges and fees, or even paying illegal kickbacks. These and other practices, we noticed, were having a devastating effect on home buyers. In addition, the widespread nature of these practices, if left unchecked, threatened our financial markets.
I have a great but challenging life. I am a single mother with two boys on the autism spectrum. My oldest, has full blown autism, mental retardation and also suffers from epilepsy. My youngest is higher functioning but he had speech delay until five years of age and it has greatly improved through early intensive behavioural intervention. He is still behind his typical peers and still has many outbursts. Just the every day mundane things that we all take for granted is a major challenge for us. Several months ago, when we went to the grocery store, my youngest got excited when he saw watermelon on display and screamed "Watermelons"! I didn't think it was any big deal, it was a major improvement since my oldest son enjoys smashing eggs on the floor (we always avoid that aisle). Well, an old man jumped and screamed "Those children should be at home and not taken into public!" I can't even count the number of times people have reprimanded me for not discipling my children.
I do not have autism but I have two children that do. I have not been able to visit the Daily Kos recently because of some major battles I have been having with my new Democratic Governor, Ted Strickland of Ohio, and his administration. In 2006, I worked hard on his campaign. I wrote letters, typed registrants names on spreadsheets, cut fliers, stuffed envelopes, walked door to door with my two children. My motives were many fold. I wanted to defeat Kenneth Blackwell. I was so ready to finally have a democratic governor. I mistakenly thought he would finally help us parents that are raising children with autism. Instead, we get this.
As some of you may know, I am single mother of two children with autism. I live and breath autism. I spend any spare time I have speaking with other parents in finding ways to care for our children. Today, I received an email from another mother that really touched my heart. Her son, James, had his first day at football practice.
But first, I want to tell you more about James.
Hello, my name is James and I will be 17 years old next week. I came to live with my parents when I was three and they adopted me. Boy they got more than they bargained for! I am diagnosed with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Mental retardation (overall development of a 6-7 yr old), an unknown slow Bowel Disorder, and ADHD. Oh ya and also what my parents lovingly call ETH (explosive teenage hormones).
Sad news here in Columbus, Ohio. Our local newspaper reported on December 23rd that our local progressive radio station, WTPG 1230AM will be replacing their progressive radio shows such as Stephanie Miller and Al Franken with radio shows that feature Michael Savage and Laura Ingraham.
Liberal listeners in central Ohio will lose their only radio voice next month when WTPG (1230 AM) drops its format of "progressive talk" and makes a hard right turn.
Out: Al Franken, Stephanie Miller, Ed Schultz and Randi Rhodes.
In: Michael Savage, Laura Ingraham and a mix of sports and consumer shows featuring Jim Rome and Dave Ramsey.
The station will change its call letters to WYTS on Monday; the new format will begin at 9 a.m. Jan. 9.
Folks, I can't handle this. Over 58 percent of the voters here in Columbus, Ohio voted for the blue ticket in November's election. Please visit me over the flip to see what can be done about this.
The 6 th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued an order last night (Sunday, 29 Oct 2006) staying a lowercourt ruling from last week that had put the ID provision on hold.
There will be a live discussion live on-line at the Columbus Dispatch. You can write them right now and ask a question before the live event or during it. It is very important that the cumbersome I.D. requirement be removed. Please follow me below the fold.
Please follow me below the fold:
I was astonished when I read that Bill O'Reilly of Faux News fame mis-labels Foley as a democrat. You would think it would end there but no.... Faux News turns around and then mis-labels Chafee as a democrat. Will it end there? Apparently not.
The mislabeling of candidates has gone from Faux News to our ABSENTEE BALLOTS. Is this the new strategy for Republicans to hold on to power?
According to Newsnet5, 5,100 absentte ballots in the Cleveland area had to be reprinted because of errors on the ballots. What were those errors? Please see below the fold!!!!!
I was drawn to the Daily Kos because of Kos's excellent coverage of the Iraq War. Not to undermine this wonderful website but I would greatly appreciate it if the Iraq War combat coverage was back on the front page of the Daily Kos. I hope we all work on getting Iraq back on the front page of our local newspapers as well by contacting them and reminding them that a war is going on.
Recommended by franziskaner
- The website Recovering From Religion has issued a press release sharing Nathan Phelps statement on the death of his father, Fred Phelps. FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: March 24 2014 – On behalf of ...140 comments 434 Recs
- Some fine Daily Kos diarists , as well as the estimable Charles P. Pierce at Esquire , have highlighted the new article in Politico today called " Taxpayers fund creationism in the classroom "... ...171 comments 147 Recs
- I've had an interesting experience with the Affordable Care Act today. I don't post here often so I'm not sure how to set up the intro and the body of the post - read below the orange squiggle for ...67 comments 300 Recs
- The Associated Press, MSNBC, and CNN have declared Democratic Rep. Chris Murphy the winner of the Senate race in Connecticut to replace Joe Lierberman. Rep. Chris Murphy was elected to an open ...8 comments 9 Recs
- The big news in the Autism Community the past few days has been the new CDC numbers about the prevalence of autism. I begin with the usual disclaimer that I'm not a scientist, I'm just a mom who ...46 comments 13 Recs
- We've all seen the new autism rates from the CDC . And it's not over-diagnosis. How would I know? After the squiggle I'll give you my two cents.19 comments 6 Recs
- The plague of bed bugs continues to spread in America, even though it is not THAT hard to prevent spread of these pests. But no one seems to be paying attention to the ways that bed bugs can be kept ...176 comments 153 Recs
- I've lived on the school year schedule almost my whole life. I've only been separated from the schedule for about a year after I finished high school. I've married a teacher, become a teacher, ...290 comments 57 Recs
- EDIT: I'm humbly shocked that what is a poorly-thought-out diary punched out in an errant moment of frustration rocketed up the wreck list. Now if only I could get people to read when I ...735 comments 407 Recs
- Genealogical research can be a lonely business. It's certainly more often than not a solo venture, a private and personal affair. We may share the fruits of our labor with others in an effort to ...27 comments 43 Recs
- No current results.