Today marks the fourteenth annual National Day of Silence. Founded in 1996, the Day of Silence has become one of the largest grassroots movements for students of all sexual orientations to speak out against LGBT bulling and discrimination. In a country where 64.3% of youth feel unsafe about there sexual orientation and four and a half times more likely then their non-gay peers because they feel unsafe, something has to be done.
My name is Alyssa.
I go to the local community college, Macomb Community College.
And today I woke up without a home.
Usually, I like to read my grandma's paper before I go to school but I was in a hurry, so I didn't get to. So after I was back home I sat down with my grandma's copy of the Detroit News. On the front page the headline blared Mich. voter roll surges to 98%. College towns, Democratic Wayne Co see big registration hikes.
More below the break
I need help. I'm in an argument with a conservative about sex-education but now the discussion has moved to the government involvement in our lives. How do I win? What should I say? Any suggestions?
See our LONG conversation below the fold.
Btw her responses will make you laugh.. :]
Yesterday around 9:00 pm, I arrived at my grandma's house. I turned on MSNBC, argued with my republican father for a bit, and ate a bowl of cookies and cream ice cream.
A few days ago C-SPAN had a undecided voter focus group, which discussed the reaction to Sarah Palin being chosen to become McCain's vp.
I know a few people discussed this renior, nirbama, however I found video footage of the segment, and I typed a transcript. I thought the reaction was interesting, plus I put my two cents in on how we could use what most people worried about against the McCain campaign.
I know that there are tons of diaries tonight about how this speech affected everyone but I wanted to pour my heart out before this moment passes.
Growing up, I was always a shy girl. I had few friends and I would quake at meeting new people and speaking in public. I was always self-conscious about myself. I had horrible self esteem. I always doubted myself, my ideas, and quivered at the thought of what other people saw in me
My personal story below the fold
Tonight was supposed to be a happy night, but instead as I sat back to watch the C-SPAN coverage of the convention, I couldn’t help but hear my family in the kitchen. They were talking about the election but it was hard to hear over the roar of the television I was listening too. I knew why they were whispering. They didn’t want me to hear.
Over at politico.com it's saying that Obama met with Kaine and his staff this morning.
As you all know, today, John McCain talked about how if we want to find Bin Laden, then we have to reinstate the draft.
If you do not want your family members or friends to be drafted in to a war that should have never have entered in to, then I have something for you to do.
I have been following this race for awhile, and unlike most people I believe that age will be the dividing factor in this year’s election. Not only will McCain try to use the age of Obama and link it to inexperience but age will also be the dividing factor of the electorate.
Recommended by hippiechick13
- You are in the the 118th Child Diary of the Liveblog of the 2011 uprisings throught North Africa and the Middle East. We stand with our international friends and their courageous struggle for ...437 comments 82 Recs
- RULES OF THE ROAD: Please do not comment in this diary unless it is to volunteer to do a child diary. This is a Mothership diary to allow us to keep up ...20 comments 330 Recs
- RULES OF THE ROAD: Please do not comment in this diary unless it is to volunteer to do a child diary. This is a Mothership diary to allow us to ...51 comments 465 Recs
- Here's the challenge. If we can get enough calls going to the WH, State Department, Congress, and the Egyptian embassies, I will get the info to the protesters in Tahrir Square. Think of what it ...87 comments 90 Recs
- RULES OF THE ROAD: Please do not comment in this diary unless it is to volunteer to do a child diary. This is a Mothership diary to allow us to keep up ...98 comments 430 Recs
- Please rec the new Mothership HERE and remove your rec of this diary. Thanks to everyone who is ...67 comments 305 Recs
- RULES OF THE ROAD: Please do not comment in this diary unless it is to volunteer to do a child diary. This is a Mothership diary to allow us to keep up ...43 comments 426 Recs
- Detail of tomorrow's DADT bill signing ceremony have been leaking out, and there was a rather welcome surprise:937 comments 556 Recs
- SANDERS ENDS FILIBUSTER AFTER EIGHT AND A HALF HOURS! *Senator Sanders' answers the question of whether this is a filibuster: You can call what I am doing today ...260 comments 224 Recs
- It’s simple: The deal President Obama struck with Senate Republicans on taxes gives up too much to the super-wealthy without getting enough for the middle class. The Republican strategy of ...865 comments 941 Recs
- No current results.
- No current results.