The Doors -- "People Are Strange"
The Doors -- "People Are Strange"
(There's truly nothing "progressive," by the way, about the "Progressive Conservatives," at least by Canadian standards. They're a right-wing party aligned with the Conservative Party that currently holds sway under Prime Minister Stephen Harper at the federal level and are better known as the Tories, just like their counterparts in the UK.)
Prentice soon solidified his grip on the legislature. After leading his party to a sweep of four critical by-elections (that's Canadian for "special elections") last October, he negotiated a stunning mass defection of 11 members of the 16-member Wildrose caucus to the PC ranks, including Wildrose leader Danielle Smith, shortly before Christmas.
With the Wildrose in disarray and the right wing seemingly consolidated once again under the PC tent, many Alberta election observers were expecting Prentice to call a snap election (Canadian political leaders have wide discretion when it comes to the timing of elections) and score a massive majority in the process. But a funny thing happened on the way to the coronation: The expected Tory cakewalk has turned into a legitimate three-way race, with a resurrected Wildrose and an unexpected threat from the left in Alberta's surging New Democratic Party squeezing the PCs from both sides.
How did we get to this point, you ask? Head below the fold for the complete backstory on this stunning turn of events.
Swingnuts... we're home.
Sun Apr 19, 2015 at 7:57 AM PT (Jeff Singer): WV-Gov, Sen: Here's a surprise: Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin announced on Sunday that he will forgo a 2016 run for governor and will instead stay in the Senate.
Bob Marley -- "Waiting in Vain"
The Nazz -- "Open My Eyes"
Junior Boys -- "In the Morning"
Superstar -- "Feels Like Forever"
Note: "Age" in the above chart refers to an incumbent's age on Election Day, not their current age. "O '12 %" refers to Barack Obama's share of the vote in each district in the 2012 presidential election.
We're up to ten confirmed open seats this cycle—three of which will be dealt with sooner rather than later via special elections (IL-18, MS-01, and NY-11). But there's much, much more below, so open seat fans will definitely want to head past the fold for our retirement watch list.
Pixies -- "Where is My Mind?"
The Plimsouls -- "A Million Miles Away"
Lights -- "Running With the Boys"
The Cranberries -- "Zombie"
Recommended by James L
- One of the fastest (and funniest) implosions in the U.S. House in recent years is complete. It started only in early February, with an innocent-enough story in the Washington Post about how ...189 comments 70 Recs
- Secretary of State Jason Kander's decision to run gives Democrats a chance to expand the Senate map. On Thursday, Democratic Secretary of State Jason ...22 comments 22 Recs
- My beautiful wife, Mary Nir, was an extraordinary soul. She was the kindest person I ever knew. She had a wickedly off-beat sense of humor. There was no one she wouldn't stop to help. If you knew ...174 comments 713 Recs
- 18 comments 18 Recs
- Many thanks to the 740 of you who entered the 2014 Daily Kos Elections prediction contest ! Now that it's officially after 4pm EST (or 1pm PST, for those of you protesting East Coast/Eastern Time ...63 comments 19 Recs
- If you have been following the midterm elections closely, you will know that YouGov has, three times now, dumped a bunch of surveys on every single Senate and gubernatorial election taking place ...16 comments 23 Recs
- Kris Kobach with his #1 fan, Ted Nugent ...43 comments 117 Recs
- What factors cause areas to vote in a certain manner? Inherently we know some of them. But we cannot completely project elections based on one factor alone. After all, the state with the largest ...37 comments 28 Recs
- 41 comments 23 Recs
- Yehuda Nir with his wife, Bonnie Maslin (click photo for larger version) Yehuda Nir died at the age of 84 on Saturday, peacefully and at home. He lived a remarkable life,150 comments 464 Recs
James L's Tags
- No current results.