George Rodrigue, the Cajun artist best known for the "Blue Dog" image, has died at 69 following an extended battle with lung cancer.
Having failed at every turn to overturn the will of the voters who reelected President Obama, the wingnuts are down to their last option: petitioning Chief Justice Roberts to refuse to administer the oath. But there's one little problem.
I have no sympathy for Randy Hopper, but consider this: his mistake was very easy to make.
This is a brief diary because it is time sensitive. The Senate will vote tomorrow (Tuesday) on a budget amendment that would gut the National Weather Service satellite program.
By now we've all heard Sarah Palin's dire "warnings" about the future of health care under Democratic health insurance reform proposals. What the former governor doesn't say is that the future is already here.
The political fresh air sweeping through Washington may soon become literal, as congressional Democrats prepare legislation to toughen regulation of cigarettes and other tobacco products.
Who to root for in today's Philadelphia-Arizona NFC championship game? From my progressive viewpoint, it's an easy call.
"Libertarian" wingnut radio host Neal Boortz, a constitutional genius in his own mind, has proposed a solution to Government By The Masses Run Amok. Unfortunately for Neal, he apparently hasn't read the document in question.
Barack Obama's victory had another mostly overlooked effect: the end of Southern influence at the national political level.
John Geyman, emeritus professor at the University of Washington medical school, has just published a book that should be essential reading for anyone interested in real health care reform.
Events have now justified the argument that seating Florida and Michigan in full back in May would have had no material effect on the outcome and could have been done then.
I was checking mail on Yahoo when I noticed the headline Obama dismisses conservative criticism. When I clicked through, I found... omigod, real journalism!
Recommended by laviolet
- There may be as many as 22 "serious" Republican contenders for president. With so many candidates, how do the RNC and the TV networks decide who belongs in the nine scheduled debates? They could ...4 comments 6 Recs
- Steve Scalise did attend and address that 2002 EURO event. He has admitted to it. My and my son's motivation to blow the whistle on him has nothing to do with revenge or political aspirations.9 comments 17 Recs
- A friend of mine, who is liberal, told me recently, "Having grown up in the South in the 1950s, I know something about how it feels to be part of a group you're told is superior. It feels really good.9 comments 18 Recs
- Ads eat up a LOT of money and have a debatable effect on elections. What does work, and I don't know anyone who disagrees with this, is this simple strategy: 1) Identify the people who will vote ...13 comments 15 Recs
- Andrew Hart of the Huffington Post writes that Film Industry Has Worst Summer Since 1997, with ticket sales this summers shrinking 15% from last summer to $3.9 billion. July box office sales were ...53 comments 13 Recs
- We've all seen it. On Facebook. On news sites. So many dark corners of the Internet where the cockroaches scurry about on the periphery of civility. Hateful, vile posts filled with dog-whistle code ...4 comments 8 Recs
- The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) Act was included in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) and was signed by President Obama on Feb.17, 2009 ...15 comments 12 Recs
- David Gregory was called out by United Nation Relief and Works Agency spokesman Chris Gunness on Meet the P ress . Gregory showed an uncorroborated video of missiles being fired from a UN school ...229 comments 338 Recs
- This spring, there was a closely fought NLRB election at the VW plant in Chattanooga. Faced with interference by outside corporate interests and craven state officials, the vote narrowly failed. ( ...16 comments 27 Recs
- Well today I figure I'd hop momentarily off the Hobby-Lobby Horse to discuss another of my favorite subjects, how America is now such a wonderful, happy post-Racial nation. Or rather, how it isn't.144 comments 292 Recs
- No current results.