When the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004 my first thought was “my grandfather didn’t live long enough to enjoy this.” I was reminded of this thought recently while reading lots of the articles and blogs about Obama’s reelection and the corresponding shell-shocked Republicans.
The New York Times has an interesting article today about Brigham Young University students protesting the university's invitation to Dick Cheney as commencement speaker. Rare Protests at Brigham Young Over a Planned Cheney Appearance
Although I particularly liked the photograph of a student holding a sign that says "Love Your Enemies...Unless They Are Enemy Combatants," the reason for this diary is to highlight a quote attributed to David Lassen, 23, the chairman of the B.Y.U. College Republicans who is reported as saying,
“We’re excited for the world to see what B.Y.U. really is,” Mr. Lassen said. “No matter what you think of Cheney, he’s easily the most powerful man in the world.”
I often can't even read David Brooks becasue I get so annoyed, but today I thought his article was revealing. His article, No Apology Needed, (sorry but it is behind the wall) defends Hilary Clinton's position on the Iraq war by looking back on her statements in 2002 and 2003,
She voted yes in order to give Powell bipartisan leverage at the U.N.
Therefore Democrats shouldn't take her to task for her vote now because she never intended that vote to turn into the debacle that is the Iraq War. I think David Brooks feels a kinship with this position himself.
I am reminded of a child who, when confronted by the broken lamp, says "But I didn't mean to do it." It is the parent's role to point out to a child that intent is not the only factor. Even if it was completely unintentional, the lamp still got broken and for that you will be held accountable. There may even be aggravating circumstances involved (like playing catch in the living room) that will increase the accountability.
My letter after the jump:
She was discussing how the Democrats and the Republicans are working to fire up their respective bases. It is so important to Cokie to have "balanced" coverage that she compares completely unequal events to make her point.
She played a clip of former President Clinton in his interview with Chris Wallace about why he failed to catch Bin Laden. Clinton said,
You did a nice little hit job on me...It was a perfectly legitimate question, but what I want to know is how many people in the Bush administration you asked this question of.
Recommended by louise the dog
- Has anyone visited the comment section of an MSN news story, which involved police brutality of blacks, or just blacks? If you have, you probably noticed an ill feeling in your gut as you read the ...102 comments 187 Recs
- Yeah, that's right, I'm rec-begging this time...because there's a graph at the end which took a *ton* of time to put together, and I'd hate to see it go down the memory hole. First, a quiet, normal ...53 comments 587 Recs
- If you stop and think about it, every business is a service business. Businesses exist to sell, to sell they must have customers, and there is no better way to earn those customers than providing ...160 comments 274 Recs
- Reposted on the anniversary of the assassination of Rev. King. MB This will be a very short diary. It will not contain any links or any scholarly references. It is about a very ...1030 comments 1686 Recs
- After being voluntarily water-boarded, the late Christopher Hitchens wrote in his article, Believe Me, Its Torture : “You may have read by now the official lie about this treatment, which is ...66 comments 161 Recs
- Under increasing pressure and scrutiny as the public learns ...241 comments 320 Recs
- Another day, another toxic spill thanks to fracking : About 25 families in eastern Ohio have been unable to live in their houses for the past three days because ...155 comments 249 Recs
- Something amazing happened in Albany today, something very few people thought possible just a few months ago. New York State will indefinitely extend it's moratorium and essentially ban fracking . ...174 comments 315 Recs
- This morning I was paging through the pew Bible at church looking up something completely unrelated, and I came across a passage which I realized had relevance to the perennial War on Christmas. ...45 comments 74 Recs
- It's not news. It's Fox News. Let the words speak for themselves. First, take a look at how the Associated Press covered the ...116 comments 277 Recs
louise the dog's Tags
- No current results.
louise the dog's Blogroll
- No current results.