Although the entire docket has not yet been set, the next Supreme Court term is already shaping up to be historic, with decisions on abortion protests, legislative prayer, and state affirmative action, just to name a few.
Gender-biased sex selection is a cultural practice driven precisely by devaluing and discrimination of women. Stopping it, therefore, is not about denying individual women their “choice.” It is about promoting the rights and worth of girls and women.
I take a look at some of the horrible insinuations, statements, and questions used by defense attorneys to impugn the character of a 21-year-old female midshipman.
On Thursday morning, we stood outside Congress as part of a group of 100 women leaders, and we demanded "salud, dignidad, y justicia"—health, dignity, and justice—for immigrant women.
Chelsea Manning's now public transition highlights the needs of a vulnerable population.
After Mexico City liberalized its abortion law, a fierce backlash followed. Is its striking resemblance to the U.S. “pro-life” movement a coincidence?
This past weekend, the New York Times profiled a couple who talked openly about their shared abortion experience.
The underlying problem of the anti-choice movement is that all their arguments go back to the fundamental belief that what strangers do with their own bodies is somehow their business. No matter how hard they try to deny it, this underlying assumption is easy enough to see across a variety of issues.
Documents released Monday by the Texas Department of Public Safety show no evidence that the "feminist army" of orange-clad pro-choice supporters brought containers of urine and feces to the Texas state capitol this summer during debates over an omnibus anti-abortion bill.
A recent court decision against stop and frisk speaks specifically to racial profiling, but we know that other kinds of profiling—based on gender, sexual orientation, economic status, and other characteristics—are often used by police.
In the United States there have been more than 6,400 reported incidents of violence against abortion providers since 1977, and around the globe some 47,000 women die from unsafe abortions each year. What’s that about anti-abortion views being non-violent again?
Women graced the podium at the "Realize the Dream" rally held to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 1963 March on Washington. But, as one attendee asked, where were the African-American women movement leaders, the thought leaders?
Recommended by RH Reality Check
- I see you there, sitting against the wooden cross you brought with you; the prayers taped haphazardly to the top of the white structure. I see you there, bowed head, sanctimony abound, extolling ...127 comments 321 Recs
- Since last Monday, the New York State Senate has been gridlocked . As it currently stands, the ...20 comments 48 Recs
- I actually started this diary a couple weeks ago, then let it marinate in my Draft folder. The truth be told, I was afraid. I hadn't read or heard a lot of personal accounts regarding a decision to ...1007 comments 823 Recs
- Some bristle when words like racist are used here and I understand because I do too. But if you follow the history of Dick Cheney, there is one thing he has not shied away from, is his white ...40 comments 15 Recs
- Yesterday, Senator Schumer proposed a "middle ground" on healthcare reform. The New York Times reports the core points of his "compromise": • The public plan must be self-...283 comments 361 Recs
- Senator Chuck Schumer floated what he's calling a compromise on the public health insurance option, encompassing four ...670 comments 240 Recs
- Much has been made of the civil war going on for the soul of the Republic Party, pitting "moderate" rethugs versus Mr. De Facto, Rush Limbaugh. I won't go into the specifics of the recent skirmishes,53 comments 29 Recs
- This is what I've been waiting for from Senator Obama, a stand on FTA's during this campaign. Hillary Rodham Clinton's doubts about big foreign trade deals came only in the heat of ...144 comments 18 Recs
RH Reality Check's Tags
- No current results.
RH Reality Check's Blogroll
- No current results.