Let's look below the tangled hose for two of my favorite summer flowers to grow.
Good morning, gardeners!
I have always wanted to write a diary about the tools we all use in our gardens, and how essential a good set of tools is to a gardener. Now I'm including all kinds of things you may not think of as "tools", but are absolute essentials- like hoses! Who could get through a dry summer without some good hoses?
How about something as simple as a good spray nozzle for the end of that hose? I don't know about you guys, but I go through two or three every summer. I've tried the more expensive ones and they fall apart as quickly as the cheap ones!
Now, please join me below the tangled hose for my essential tools.
I found this on Twitter this morning and was shocked at how little attention it's gotten, although I see a few places like RH Reality Check have picked up the story this afternoon.
Just before Thanksgiving, the Louisiana Dept of Health and Hospitals (DHH) issued "emergency regulations" that overhauled existing regulations of abortion clinics in the state. These include new licensing procedures, changes in building square footage (for no discernible reasons) and even more egregious requirements from the patient.
Just saw this from Josh Marshall at TPM:
President Barack Obama will nominate Janet Yellen as the next chair of the U.S. Federal Reserve on Wednesday, the White House announced in a statement.http://talkingpointsmemo.com/...
Janet Yellen will be the first woman to chair the Fed, the first Democrat in almost 30 years and also, the first former Vice Chair.
April Fools! I guess someone forgot to post the Abbreviated Pundit Roundup this morning, so here is my version for those of us who consider APR our morning wake up call!
I'm at work, so this will be brief and also considered an open thread.
That clunk you just heard was the sound of me falling out of my chair after reading this:
The Oklahoma House Public Safety Committee unanimously passed a bill yesterday that would make first and second offenses of marijuana possession a misdemeanor.Oklahoma Marijuana Offenses Changed And Medical Marijuana Bill Killed By Senate Committee
Yesterday, I followed a tweet from Newark Mayor Cory Booker to a documentary called "Break The Taboo", about the war on drugs.
Sat on a panel with @RichardBranson last night for the premiere of this film about the failure of the war on drugsIt is a stunning hour long look at what a huge failure the war has been (illegal drug use has been on the rise for decades), and the devastating effects it's had on neighborhoods and countries across the world.
A government sponsored study, titled Medical Marijuana- Clearing Away the Smoke, comes to the conclusion (from the article: "indicate the likelihood") that cannabanoids can be useful as treatment for neuropathic pain, muscles spasms caused by Multiple Sclerosis, and nausea and inappetence in cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
I've been meaning to write this diary for a long time, and finally was inspired by an article at the Washington Post I read today. More on that later.
This just in: on Meet the Press this morning, Vice President Joe Biden came out in support of same sex marriage:
GREGORY: You’re comfortable with same-sex marriage now?http://thinkprogress.org/...
BIDEN: Look, I am Vice President of the United States of America. The president sets the policy. I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women and heterosexual men marrying women are entitled to the same exact rights. All the civil rights, all the civil liberties. And quite frankly I don’t see much of a distinction beyond that. [...] I think Will & Grace probably did more to educate the American public than almost anything anybody has done so far. People fear that is different and now they’re beginning to understand.
From The Daily Beast comes the news that JPMorgan Chase has closed a Vatican bank account on speculation that the account is being used to launder money.
Yes, you read that right-WI state Senator Glenn Grothman of West Bend has sponsored a bill that would consider being a single parent a "contributing factor to abuse and neglect of children".
Recommended by skohayes
- From the GREAT STATE OF MAINE… I'm Feeling Haikuish Carly, Huck and Ben So many hats in one ring Jeb revs Steamroller ...68 comments 49 Recs
- We begin today's roundup with Michael Brendan Dougherty at The Week who analyzes the GOP's circus of candidates: A brain surgeon with no particular feel for politics. A business executive who ...66 comments 36 Recs
- The $10 million man Maricopa ...33 comments 55 Recs
- My quilt has arrived! I do not have the words to thank you all. Welcome, fellow travelers on the grief journey and a special welcome to anyone new to The Grieving Room. We meet every Monday ...67 comments 117 Recs
- The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings It's hard to figuratively pick up the newspaper these without seeing something concerning ...71 comments 88 Recs
- 11 comments 24 Recs
- I am sad, but also excited, to announce that after 11 years I am leaving Daily Kos and joining Raintank , where I will be working on monitoring software and doing devsy-opsy. It's been a long and ...112 comments 266 Recs
- Molly Redden at Mother Jones writes Want an Abortion This Year? Get Ready to Wait : For women seeking an abortion, 2015 is shaping up to be the year of the long wait. Since the beginning of the year,80 comments 54 Recs
- Yup, I'm Rec-begging on this one 'cus I am *angry* (if not surprised). One week ago I posted en entry titled "Color me shocked: Michigan GOP State Senator spewing nonsense" , which documented an ...84 comments 515 Recs
- I realize there's virtually nothing that can be done to prevent the upcoming pie fights regarding Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. Despite the fact that the comments consisting of "Bernie can't ...167 comments 102 Recs