The left is often described as being an anything goes sort of group, where the idea of being open-minded is an attribute. The right often paints the left as wimpy and preferring to avoid confrontation. From my perspective, this description is far from reality.
Sorry for the short MLP diary, but someone took the donor list of the Proposition Eight supporters, and used Google Maps with it, to get eightmaps.
This is a fairly simple diary, along with a poll. I want to know if you all feel that I should remove my Obama 2008 bumper sticker or not. If you feel you need to understand my justification for removing it, keep reading below.
Many of us live in what are considered to be "red states" and while we hope for a record turnout for Obama in November, we realistically know that there isn't much hope that our vote for Obama will be able to outweigh the votes of ignorance, cowardice, and racism that favor McCain. So what can we do about it?
According to Reuters:
MEXICO CITY, Sept 10 (Reuters) - Mexican state-owned energy company Pemex said on Monday explosions caused by sabotage hit several of its natural gas pipelines on the Gulf of Mexico.
There is not a lot of news yet, and I will be updating this as more information comes in.
Today is Father's Day, as everyone knows. For me, this is not a holiday that I've ever really celebrated. Having grown up with a birth father that was absent, and bad when he was present, a step-father that is a good man but is part of a strict religious cult, I've not necessarily had the best father figure present. I don't really have a specific "dad" to celebrate.
Now I am a dad of a five week old baby. I want to learn from the mistakes of the fathers I've known and try to do a better job. I've got a lot to learn.
Also posted on Blue House Diaries.
From the New York Times:
The insane revenge of a man maddened by financial worries
brought death to at least thirty-three children today when the Consolidated
School in this little village of 300 souls, eight miles north-east of Lansing,
was dynamited just after the morning bell had called the classes together.
Forty-one dead have been identified and one is still unknown.
"Forecaster Blasts Gore on Global Warming."
Some stories even report that he is a leading climate scientist. The reality is that William Gray is not a scientist, and is nothing more than a propagandist for companies that want to hide the truth behind global warming.
The idea that African-Americans are privileged and have advantages over whites is an idea that is strong in the white supremacist movement. They view equalizing measures such as desegregation and scholarships set up only for poor minorities as some sort of special rights that whites are deprived of. All of this is clearly wrong, as it is obvious that blacks have never been treated equally with whites, have never been given the same educational opportunities as a whole, and are still either generally feared or despised by the white public.
However, a conversation with an Indian friend made me question my view of racial problems in the U.S., and wonder if there is a possibility that black privilege exists in some form, and what it is being used for.
Cross-posted in Blue
According to this CNET article, Senators Feinstein and Biden are working with some corrupt Republicans in an attempt to stifle our constitutionally protected freedom of speech. How are they doing this? By pushing the PERFORM Act.
Recommended by theboz
- For the price of a measly $20 billion, the government left JP Morgan Chase walk away from the responsibility of helping fuel the wreckage that became the global financial crisis--and, to boot, it ...132 comments 248 Recs
- And he sets the record straight while he does it. During the well publicized debate with the creationist Ken Ham, Mr. Nye demonstrated time after time that there is a method to why things are the ...253 comments 256 Recs
- Some random thoughts: Walked to the sports complex to pay my property tax of about $95 US. Pleasant spring-like weather, 79F. No clouds. Light breeze. Walked down Azueta (the local street of a ...18 comments 20 Recs
- When economists talk about how a market "regulates itself," what they mean is that markets reach an equilibrium between supply and demand. This says nothing about whether or not this equilibrium ...201 comments 634 Recs
- I've been away for a while working on a couple of book projects and trying to figure out how I might survive over the next few years as I grow older, broker and ever less employable. I've been ...631 comments 739 Recs
- This is not from The Onion, but from yesterday's business section of the San Francisco Chronicle : I'm trying to find the right analogy to wrap my mind around this head-slapping double-whopper of ...121 comments 226 Recs
- credit: Animal Welfare Institute In the New York Times this morning an article Wolf Haters cites that in Idaho two recent frightening developments have been made ...150 comments 193 Recs
- If what the NSA is doing, as revealed in the latest Der Spiegel piece out today is legal ... then bloody everything is now legal - as long as it is in the name of national security, however loosely ...190 comments 169 Recs
- We've all been taught the horror's of the African slave trade. It's in all the school books and in plenty of Hollywood movies. But for some reason the largest group of slaves in the British ...235 comments 320 Recs
- In the 2000 Florida election, Ralph Nader received 97,488 votes, while Al Gore lost the state (and, therefore, the presidency) by 537 votes to Mr. Bush. For many Democrats here on DKos that is ...960 comments 164 Recs