View Diary: Top Comments - The Intensity of Serenity (151 comments)

•  I would co-sign your very insightful (13+ / 0-)

analysis, though I doubt I could express the ideas so well as you have.

What I've come to recognize about Dkos, a huge site with thousands of actives users and hundreds of diaries a week, is that when I become unhappy or negative about something and it bothers me a lot, and on such a huge diverse site that is bound to happen, it's almost always about me at the moment.  Mood and physical health at any given time can have a signficant impact on how I internally re-act to the site.  Realizing that, I never respond or reply, well, almost never, intentionally at least, to whatever bothers me.  And sometimes it's inexplicable anyway.

I've really been amazed at how well things here go considering the times and the stresses of different sorts that affect everyone.  And I also agree with you that those prominent examples of displeasure are usually displaced anger or frustration with government, society, or personal problems which no one else may know about.

Any interactive site, except perhaps some small ones of very like minded individuals, are going to have the same characteristics as have always existed in human interactions.  No such large gathering of people can be without problems, but I think Dkos does far better than most huge internet sites.

More: Some men think the Earth is round, others think it flat; it is a matter capable of question. But if it is flat, will the King's command make it round? And if it is round, will the King's command flatten it?

by blueoasis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:37:06 PM PST

•  I think you're absolutely right (8+ / 0-)

You know I've been leaning on the GOS to help me through this roller coaster of emotions grieving is, and the days when I'm so depressed I can't find joy in anything I just don't comment.

Real people at real keyboards typing these diaries and these comments. It's crucial to remember that. And yes, we do it better.

-7.75, -8.10; Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Dave in Northridge on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:41:37 PM PST

•  It's a bit too late (3+ / 0-)
      blueoasis, cohenzee, BeninSC

to nominate this comment for tonight. But it is definitely a Top Comment for tomorrow night. It will bear repeating.

•  Thanks, Steven. (3+ / 0-)
        Steveningen, BeninSC, cohenzee

There are a number already in this thread, but an excellent diary produces good comments.

by blueoasis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:00:20 PM PST

•  There are ways of dealing with the stress. (4+ / 0-)

One of the best can be to have a trusted friend off-blog (or at least out of the accessible-to-all comment threads!) with whom you can vent. The need to vent may not be logical, but it is by definition valid. The important thing is to develop ways of coping without lashing out, without hitting others, as so many on this blog do. A good friend can help with that. If you like, you are always welcome to kosmail me! I'll help where and as I can! And I won't make you feel bad for feeling bad!

"The opposite of war isn't peace, it's CREATION." _ Jonathan Larson, RENT -9.62, -9.13

by BeninSC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 07:58:24 PM PST

•  Thanks, Ben. (3+ / 0-)
        BeninSC, Dave in Northridge, cohenzee

I rarely intentionally say anything without self-censorship, but that may be because I'm so old and slow I give up before I hit reply.

by blueoasis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:03:59 PM PST

•  Like you, I have the ... advantage(?) of age ... (3+ / 0-)

And ... shall we say, lower hormonal pressures?

I don't give up, and I don't self-censor, but I don't jump in where there is nothing to win, no way to make a real contribution. If the energy is very toxic, it may be regrettable, but it doesn't change the fact that there are infinite ways to help in our world, and turning to one of those may be the best response I can make. Even if those 'attending' the debacle will never know it.

by BeninSC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:09:26 PM PST

•  Yes, exactly. (4+ / 0-)

I never hesitate if I think my point is substantive and my position is usually clear without being abrasive or insulting.

And I never interject in discussion when I don't know enough about the subject or positions in contention.  I really, seriously, don't understand anyone who does that unless it is just to support a friend or ally or to notch up the level of discord, but I don't always see that as being the case either.

I also think civility can go too far but that's a more complex minefield than I want to tackle crossing through.

by blueoasis on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:23:24 PM PST

•  On supporting a friend ... one of the problems (3+ / 0-)

with public comment threads (as much as I love them!) is that it can acquire a Christians v. Lions aspect, with people jumping in and taking sides, bringing their own baggage and hostile energy. Some things are best taken private, if one is serious about working toward understanding, as opposed to victory.

by BeninSC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 at 08:26:55 PM PST

• Spam (21)
  • Climate Change (21)
  • Labor (20)
  • Education (20)
  • Civil Rights (20)
  • GOP (20)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • Law (17)
  • Barack Obama (17)
  • Economy (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site