View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Wednesday (219 comments)

•  Cheers to a lovely evening (31+ / 0-)

I wrote a little bit about it in a comment over here.

And cheers to catching my sweetie under a blossom laden tree walking back from the bus stop last night just after midnight.

Because it doesn't look like I'm getting out with her on a bike ride today in search of scenic springtime. Jeers to broken bicycles. Pumped up my tires after the long winter, hopped on my bike and crunch! my rear derailleur was caught in my spokes-- the derailleur hanger had ripped almost in two. Sigh, #2 son and Favorite Female pedaled off without me.

It's a tradition for lovers to kiss under a flowering tree during the first day of May here in the Czech Republic. I'm all for traditions that involve smooches.

Thought I'd make an unplanned visit to the interwebs and fling a picture at you that you might have seen before and a brand new color version of that picture:

I may be adding some more, contrasting, colors to it to try to really make the beastie pop off the screen but that's the current state of things.

Cheers, to all who came here today to brave the horrors of moist ankles in the kiddie pool.

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Wed May 01, 2013 at 05:45:08 AM PDT

•  Nice work! (6+ / 0-)

Color shading is such an art in and of itself.

The Missus, my historian wife, always chimes in sarcastically, when I mention you:"who is from the Czech Republic, which is not Chechnya" Stupid Americans! She mocks those that do not know the geopolitical landscape.

I took her under the peach tree in the back yard for kisses. I cited "There is a custom, it MUST be obeyed."

Hope sweetie and you have a good evening.

Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance. Kurt Vonnegut

by ToKnowWhy on Wed May 01, 2013 at 07:13:24 AM PDT

•  The art of comics (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

Thanks, it's not terribly bold or exciting yet. Still a lot of room to add some oomph!

Back when I was still a mid-western lad I was occasionally honored to hang out with some very talented people in the comic book business. I hadn't really thought much about it even when I was regularly collecting comics but it generally takes quite a team of folks to produce a title that has monthly issues. One of my friends who had space across the hall from me in a little studio in downtown Madison made his income as an inker. He was a marvelous artist in his own right; he did lovely portraits and figure studies in oils. But he paid the rent putting ink on other people's drawings. One of the titles he worked on was a cult classic called "Nexus" and actually the first of the people I'd met that worked on that comic was the colorist-- I suppose that's where I was going with that. It's still an industry that encourages specialization.

I did get out briefly to walk through our neighborhood with #2 Son and my sweet Favorite Female to visit a friend of ours for an hour (a last minute invitation snuck in before dinner) and yes, managed to steal another kiss on the way home. Tradition!

Good for you! for joining the noble cause of preserving cultural heritage.

Everything is already so green out there and the flowering trees are just dazzling. It's a bit worrisome-- if the old almanac remains true, even in this era of global warming, we're due for some frosty weather in just under two weeks. That'd be bad news for our fruit trees.

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Wed May 01, 2013 at 10:44:19 AM PDT

•  For earthy sensuality... (1+ / 0-)
      Marko the Werelynx

... from the 2010 Eurovision contest (didn't win - I just like the song and the staging with the flowering apricot tree growing from the seed in the background toward the end of the song, and the message of renewal and new growth and transformation implied with the planting of a seed - or the apricot stone, in this case).  Spring reminds us of these things..., even if we're due for a lot of wet, slushy snow in the middle northern states for the next two days or so to remind us winter has still not lost it's freezing grip.
      Eurovision 2010 Armenia:Eva Rivas-Apricot Stone (Live final)

by NonnyO on Wed May 01, 2013 at 11:31:59 PM PDT

•  Yow! (1+ / 0-)
        NonnyO

Did I remember to take my blood pressure medication this morning? Yes?

Whew! good.

"Ayy-pree-cote stone ... "

She reminds me of a hopeless love of mine in high school.

I remember watching some of the Eurovision competition many years ago. Some really strange acts...

Saving the elusive werelynx though swag.

by Marko the Werelynx on Thu May 02, 2013 at 12:46:19 AM PDT

•  It's going to be in Malmö, Sweden (1+ / 0-)
          Marko the Werelynx

... this year.  The two semi-final nights for order of acts is posted and the final night lineup will be posted after the semi-final winners are declared.  The five permanent contestants + Sweden, the host country, are already posted for finals night.  I'll have to go through the videos and listen to them one at a time to see if any of them stand out.

There will be live webcam feed on the Eurovision web site as there has been for a few years now.

Anyone watching the live webcam feed needs to calculate time zones east or west from Malmö (which is GMT+1).

I've seen a few of the audition videos posted, but I don't have a clear opinion on any of them yet.  I know for sure I don't like Norway's entry this year (the opening notes of the background music sux donkey droppings and damn near broke my ear drums; I had to yank off my ear buds) - I watched some of the semi-finals leading up to the finals night and selection and I didn't like any of them, quite frankly (altho Norway won in 2009 and Alexander Rybak got the highest score of any act ever in the history of Eurovision that year; he was good, as were the backup dancers, Frikar, doing a modified Halling danse).

2010 in Oslo featured several good acts (when the webcam link froze Eurovision's site, I switched to watching from NRK's live webcam feed since I check their site every so often for news stories from Europe).  The German girl who won in 2010 sang a trite and silly song in English lyrics with a bad Australian accent and she sounded perfectly awful.  Later, on a message board I was reading, someone wrote that Germany only won because they had a venue large enough to host the show the following year since the winner's country hosts the show the next year.  By contrast, the venue in Malmö is considered small for the expected audience, so Sweden has already been criticized for not picking a larger stadium.

I had high hopes for Iceland's entry last year in Baku based on their audition video (the selection in Iceland was made from an Icelandic version, but they sang in English for the contest - the whole show from which the selection was made was on YouTube and I watched all of it).  Greta was weeks away from getting her degree in Music when the contest was held, and she composed the music and lyrics in Icelandic and English.  I still like their video, but for the live performance they were somehow "off" and didn't sound as good as the video.  If you want to watch the entire 3:24:58 video of Eurovision 2012 final from Baku last year, it's on YouTube - the other years are now online, too, I noticed - full shows.

In 2010 in Oslo, Romania had the best act and came in third overall (I suspect a lot of men tripped over their tongues because of Paula).  As you saw, Armenia's act was excellent, but didn't place.  Moldova was down the list, but the sax guy (the one with the lighter blue pants in the middle) had women's knees weak, as did the violin guy for others.  Greece's entry was fun, but I preferred this audition video to their live performance where they came in 8th overall.  Slovenia's group had good backup dancers and costumes, but didn't make it past the semi-finals.  Denmark's duo had a kind of country & western sound, but not too bad.  Serbia's Milan Stanković was just fun to watch.

I think you can easily see why Greece won in 2005.  Perhaps one of the favorites I have to watch from past years is Ukraine's Ruslana doing Wild Dances from 2004..., and they won that year.  The act just sizzles...!

Enjoy! :-)