View Diary: I'm going to go buy a gun today (199 comments)

•  Yup (24+ / 0-)

My German shorthair and pitbull/lab mix are the sweetest dogs you will ever meet.....

Unless you fuck with one of their mommas.

You don't want to do that.

You'd rather look down the barrel of a gun.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 11:12:09 AM PDT

•  I sneaked up on that thing once and (20+ / 0-)

scared it.

Once.

She looked at me with very weird eyes which clearly said

Please remember that deep down inside I am still a wild animal.
      •  That is exactly why you and Zimmerman should (1+ / 0-)
        exlrrp

never own guns.

It's that feeling of being powerful through creating fear in others.

Guns and aggressive dogs are nothing to be trifled with and if you can't own either one such that it is not a potential danger to others you are better off not owning.

Your fear of others can be the catalyst for a dog attack or a shooting, and then we end up with a kid with their face torn off or a young man at the morgue.

“Conservation… is a positive exercise of skill and insight, not merely a negative exercise of abstinence and caution…” Aldo Leopold

by ban nock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 11:36:47 AM PDT

•  How do you define "aggressive" when it comes (15+ / 0-)

to dogs? By their breed?

And aren't we allowed to protect our property without owning a gun?

The fact is that POODLES deter criminals from breaking into a house. It's not the fear of the dog, it's the fear of being found.

Seems a much more reasonable way to defend oneself than to carry a gun. Dogs at least offer companionship, and those with happy, healthy owners are happy and healthy themselves.

I'm kind of shocked that you'd equate a Rottweiler with a gun.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 11:41:20 AM PDT

•  And the Doby, let alone the poodle, is far less (10+ / 0-)

likely to kill someone than the gun is. Gun nuts hate to acknowledge the fact that most people are not diligent, competent, or non-aggressive enough to keep or own guns without getting themselves or someone else needlessly killed.

"Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." -- Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Kombema on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 11:45:49 AM PDT

•  When it originates from the desire to create (2+ / 0-)
            exlrrp, Victor Ward

fear in others I compare it to irresponsible gun ownership yes.

It's exactly that type of person who should not carry a handgun or own a rottweiler.

by ban nock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 02:56:13 PM PDT

•  Look at that dog (3+ / 0-)
              PinHole, marina, caul

Look at that picture.

You think it's about a desire to instill fear?

Personally, if I saw that dog I'd ask the owner if it was okay for me to pet him, then I'd go give that sweet little face a good scritch on the head.

Probably kiss it a couple times, too.

YMMV

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 03:04:30 PM PDT

•  your words (2+ / 0-)
                swampyankee, Victor Ward

Unless you fuck with one of their mommas.

You don't want to do that.

You'd rather look down the barrel of a gun.

emphasis mine.
                For the next few months, my brother would walk in my door putting his hands over his junk, convinced my dog was about to tear it off.

And he probably would have if he thought I was in danger.

and with the kids and the dog.

You should never ever own a gun, and I wish they had more stringent rules for who can own a dog. Over and over you find humor in causing fear in other people. You have a dog and keep it such that your brother is in danger of getting bit by it. That's simply irresponsible. If you keep a pit bull mix and aren't responsible no way can you handle a firearm.

by ban nock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 05:16:26 PM PDT

•  Uh..... (1+ / 0-)
                  caul

What part of that don't you understand? My dog had never "met" my brother, so when he walked in the house UNINVITED AND UNEXPECTED, my dog was pissed. You think I should train my dog to be passive when someone enters my house?

And reading comprehension matters: it wasn't my pit mix that did that.

You're fighting the wrong battle in the wrong diary.

Do you think my dogs should just know who is my family member before entering my house? 'Cause I gotta say, if my other brother entered my house without me knowing, I hope the dogs stop him. I love him, but he's a dangerous and unpredictable guy. I like knowing my dogs won't let him past the front door if he ever shows up at my house.

P.S. I am not a crackpot.

by BoiseBlue on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 05:39:07 PM PDT

•  We had a miniature poodle (3+ / 0-)
            BoiseBlue, marina, caul

who would growl, show his teeth and if necessary, move aggressively to protect me and my sister and my mother if there was any hint of something happening to us.

What he lacked in size, he more than made up for in protective mode.

I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage

by woolibaar on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 02:58:23 PM PDT

•  WTF is your problem? (4+ / 0-)
          BoiseBlue, cybersaur, La Gitane, caul

I have been decent to you and you have to come making these ridiculous dumbass statements.

Look - I do not need a gun or a dog to intimidate the shit out of people. I can fucking handle myself.

I have been in fights and won.

I can do whatever the fuck I want.

You don't know what the fuck you're talk about.

This tears it.

Stop talking to me.

•  uhm, if you click on "Parent" you'll see that my (2+ / 0-)
            caul, Victor Ward

comment wasn't addressed to you. Sorry I got nasty over the use of accents in the other diary. Hope you don't hold a grudge, I sure don't. I hope we can converse over things we agree on in the future freind.

by ban nock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 02:44:39 PM PDT

•  That was the best dog you could imagine (2+ / 0-)
          BoiseBlue, marina

I miss her every day.

•  Huh? Tell me I read that correctly, Ban- (3+ / 0-)
          BoiseBlue, xxdr zombiexx, marina
            What drives people to carry guns 24/7? Is it not
          fear of others?
             Sounds rather judgemental as if only 'certain' people are capable of making such decisions to carry. Anyone who wants to can carry now.
              What drove me to break down and get an equalizing 'tool' wasn't fear of everyone, it wasn't fear of the 'criminal element', it was from having a gun flashed at me by a 'law abiding responsible gun owner', this being the second time in just under a year. How do I know they were legal to carry?
             Easy.
             After the incident last year the idiot who pulled his gun and pointed it in my face shot three neighbors, killing two. He also is claiming SYG. The one that survive was shot 11 times, the ones who died, many more.
             Face it, legal carry means nothing if that right is extended to gungho wanna be cops and cowboys and it has and they prove through gun 'fail' stories on a daily basis that they never should've had one to begin with.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 02:13:46 PM PDT

•  some people carry for all the wrong reasons (1+ / 0-)
            Victor Ward

People who carry have a duty to avoid confrontation. In that context I'd say a duty to avoid places and situations that could lead to confrontations also. The attitude of "you better not mess with me or my dog will tear you up or I will shoot you" is not an attitude of conflict avoidance.

Gun fail diaries are anecdotal accounts which I would label fearmongering. Statistically gun accidents are very rare and becoming more rare all the time.

by ban nock on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 02:53:01 PM PDT

•  Avoid a big box store parking lot then, Ban, (1+ / 0-)
              BoiseBlue

both instances to which I referred to happened in broad daylight in a busy big box store parking lot. The first time was the gunz nut that stuck a gun in my face when I confronted him about putting KKK literature under my windshield wiper.
                 The last time was just 10-12 days ago, putting myself between a totally crazy mofo who had trashed a store and was ranting and raving at the clerk who happened to be a very small woman and a friend of mine.
                 Nutless coward that he was he didn't want any physical confrontation with me (I am as big as Shaquille Oneal) so he took his coward ass outside to retrieve his gunz from his vehicle.
                 This is a small town very near Sandford, Fl, not like we can exactly avoid assholes with gunz around here...
                 I was always taught never pull a gun on anyone you don't intend to kill- so, do I just ignore those teachings and hope these idiots just flash their gun next time?
                 No more, I am tired of it. I'm not bullet proof and I've known that my entire life. But with a felony conviction what;s a person to do? Buy a bullet proof vest? Ah, illegal for a felon to own in this state-- were you aware of that? Not that I want one but damn, Nutz  with gunz here are as abundant as sunshine.
                 Since NRA/GOA/RKBA see fit to not require background checks, well, the answer was simple.
                 Now I am as deadly as every other asshole carting around their gunz. May go to jail for it one day, who knows, I don't concern myself with that.
                 I concern myself with idiots who are carrying gunz around pulling them for shits and giggles after starting shit- hmm, I think that's exactly what Zimmerman did, too.
                 Maybe it's something in the water around here, I do know it stinks, smells funny and that I won't drink it but there sure are an overabundance of redneck camo wearing idiots carrying in this area being stupid with gunz to the point I do not feel safe being around them any longer. I do avoid shit, what I can't seem to avoid is the gunz nutz.
                 There will never be a third incident of waving gunz at me, on that you can rest assured.

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

by teabaggerssuckbalz on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 05:38:45 PM PDT

•  A beautiful dog (1+ / 0-)
      BoiseBlue

Looks like my old dog, except he was bigger and part Newfie, loved to swim.
      Similar face, that's why I love this one too.

•  That reminds me (1+ / 0-)
      marina

years ago I stopped at this guy's house to get my roofing paycheck, and a dober came launching out from her chained doghouse and bit me on the ass. Funny thing- I knew the dog well, just surprised her.

A true craftsman will meticulously construct the apparatus of his own demise.

by onionjim on Sun Jul 14, 2013 at 06:05:54 PM PDT

•  It's worth noting which SYG laws say about (1+ / 0-)
      BoiseBlue

HOW you can defend yourself.

I'm thinking that instead of guns (which is what the NRA desperately wants), we all flock to our local animal shelters and rescues.

Rescued dogs tend to be extremely loyal dogs. It's very hard for a bad guy to pry your Rottweiler from your hands and use him against you.

And to ensure your defense is upheld, your dog can also be your best witness. Well, his Collar Camera will be.