View Diary: Saudi's Endorse Syria Strike/Arab League Members Back UN Action (127 comments)

•  So we just believe the broad brush crap now! (5+ / 0-)

Yes, this diverse, unorganized, swath of rebels are just all 100% jihadists now! My god, do you PROGRESSIVES even realize that this conveniently ignorant, willfully blind, borderline Islamophobic perspective on Syria is the one favored on Free Republic right now???

ITS A F---ING RIGHT WING MEME AND YA'LL ARE REPEATING IT BREATHLESSLY!

The conventional wisdom holds that the extremist elements are completely mixed in with the more moderate rebel groups. This isn't the case. Moderates and extremists wield control over distinct territory. Although these areas are often close to one another, checkpoints demarcate control. On my last trip into Syria earlier this month, we traveled freely through parts of Aleppo controlled by the Free Syrian Army, following roads that kept us at safe distance from the checkpoints marked by the flag of the Islamic State of Iraq. Please see the nearby map for more detail.

Wait - no! This can't be true because it doesn't fit neatly inside the anti-imperialist IDEOLOGICAL BOX we've constructed! We can't admit that real life is really that messy! Heaven forbid!

"See? I'm not a racist! I have a black friend!"

by TheHalfrican on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 04:10:28 PM PDT

•  You clearly need to read up on Syria. (5+ / 0-)

Peter Bergen's analysis more closely fits with what we are hearing from Foggy Bottom and the realist FP establishment.

There are no 'moderates' in Syria. Someone who works for War in Iraq booster Kim Kagan (one of your PNAF types) wouldn't be honest about that anyway. Especially a Fox News foreign policy analyst like O'Bagy.

I know you hate liberals, but know who you're quoting before you attempt to speak on foreign policy matters. Don't expect me to be convinced when you quote from the Neocon wing of the GOP.

•  lol i hate liberals now? Christ. FOH, sir. (1+ / 0-)
        joe from Lowell

All I've done is resent the implication that there is 1) Al Qaeda and 2) Assad, with absolutely no middle ground or other groups outside of those two factions. Of course there are no perfect angels espousing all the wonderful secular progressive things we'd like to hear in the middle of this hellish warzone. No kidding.

I understand its more convenient if things are simple, of course, thereby making it easier to agree with a staunch non-interventionist position that I agree with anyway.

I get it. Nobody wants to be the one to say "I think we should stay out regardless of how high the body count gets and I have no illusions about this". That might feel weird and a little depressing. No, we want to have our cake and eat it too.

"See? I'm not a racist! I have a black friend!"

by TheHalfrican on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 04:59:30 PM PDT

•  Not me. (1+ / 0-)
          TheHalfrican

You'll find numerous quotes over the last several days of me saying I could care less how many people get killed in Syria. Numerous quotes. Gas a million children for all I care. Still wont be a military problem for the United States.

•  well....that's my position too. Good for you. (0+ / 0-)

NOT OUR PROBLEM is my mantra when it comes to Syria. I just don't deceive myself into thinking its a position born out of compassion.

I don't even think of it as "progressive" per se because imho it has more to do with Ayn Rand-esque "rational self-interest" anti-empathy than any sort of Leftist principle. It's a mess. It's going to be a mess. Anything we could do will likely adversely affect the Syrians anyway and it DEFINITELY will adversely affect us. Its a ultra-high risk/no reward situation that doesn't change w/ a astronomical body count. People will assume the worst of our motives regardless of the choice made. (LOL @ the Arab states switching from "OMG U ZIONIST IMPERIALIST" to "OMG YOU COLD HEARTEDLY IGNORE SYRIA'S PLIGHT" in record time after Obama kicked it to Congress. Ugh.)

So why bother.

"See? I'm not a racist! I have a black friend!"

by TheHalfrican on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 07:33:10 PM PDT

•  Dude, YOU need to read up on Syria. (2+ / 0-)
        wu ming, angry marmot

There are no moderates?

They're all al Qaeda?

What are you, Dick Cheney?

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 08:02:28 PM PDT

•  They are not unorganized. (2+ / 0-)
      valadon, JesseCW

They are not centrally organized, there are a number for factions, but they are definitely organized. And they aren't particularly diverse, either. They are largely radicalized Islamists, with a huge dose of Al Qaida for their effort.

The place was utterly dark—the oubliette, as I suppose, of their accursed convent.

by bastrop on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 04:38:15 PM PDT

•  Some of these militants (2+ / 0-)
      JesseCW, bastrop

aren't even Syrian...and sorry, but they do exist, they are not a meme.

“Fiction is a lie through which we tell the truth.” — Albert Camus

by valadon on Sun Sep 01, 2013 at 04:48:41 PM PDT

•  of course it's a right wing meme (0+ / 0-)

The far left and far right are pretty much joined at the hip these days.