View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Tuesday (227 comments)

•  Good morning compadres! (26+ / 0-)

Budapest Giraffe2
    Zoo keepers chose a Ugandan name for Sempala because Rothschild’s Giraffes are found in that African country, as well as in Kenya.  Rothschild’s giraffes are among the rarest of the nine Giraffe subspecies roaming Africa.  Only about 700 remain in the wild.  They are listed as Endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.
    Photo Credit:  Budapest Zoo
    Photo and Story via ZooBorns

More later...Gotta run!

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. ---Wernher von Braun

by mjbleo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:49:45 AM PDT

•  There's more than on kind of giraffe? (17+ / 0-)

Who knew?

I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

by Civil Writes Activist on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:58:30 AM PDT

•  My favorite kind of giraffe. (5+ / 0-)

And there's only 700 left? Jeers.

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 07:35:40 AM PDT

•  Brane Dribblezzzzzzzz...... (4+ / 0-)

OMG, Bebe Giraffes and their Gorgeous, Soulful Eyes with the Loooooong Eyelashes.... Gets me right in the heart (in a good way) every time!!!

Googly moogly Sweeeeeeeet Bebe...!

;-)

by NonnyO on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 10:13:58 AM PDT

•  I did remember that giraffes are your favorite, (4+ / 0-)

NonnyO.

Budapest Giraffe3
        Photo Credit:  Budapest Zoo
        Photo and story via ZooBorns

by mjbleo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 12:50:53 PM PDT

•  :-) Squeeeee! (5+ / 0-)

:-)  Oh, I'm SO in love!

Thank you, mjbleo!

How are you doing?  Are you still experiencing difficult days since your mom's passing?

Here's the cute little Ceiling Cat with the celadon green eyes who is currently my house guest (she's not mine, but she's a lovely little girl I'm caring for temporarily).  When I was doing my emphasis program in ceramics in college and did a lot of work with porcelain, I used the celadon green glaze.  In a full reduction firing it turns out an exotic and translucent green, and if some idiot comes along and opens the kiln too soon which lets in too much air all at once, it turns into an icky frog-egg green..., but when things turn out right, the translucent green is quite spectacular.

6 Sept'13 IMG_0289

by NonnyO on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 01:11:09 PM PDT

•  I am not taking it well, NonnyO. Tuesdays were (3+ / 0-)
            NonnyO, mayim, The Marti

spent doing whatever my mother wanted me to do and Thurdays I took her flowers. I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a stem nor a leaf since her passing. Tuesdays I walk around with no one to boss me around. :) Well, some people try, but no one will ever have that ability again.
            Where are my manners...How are you?

Knobby Knees
            Via: njwight.tumblr.com/post/41236584991/knobby-knees

by mjbleo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 01:48:41 PM PDT

•  {{{~♥~mjbleo~♥~}}} (3+ / 0-)
              mjbleo, mayim, The Marti

I wish I had magic words for you.  I don't know what your experience will be, but for me Time was the great "healer."

Time allowed me to adjust to the absence of each of my parents (plus other loved ones), but despite decades I never quit missing them, their personalities, their smiles, the sound of their laughter, the things that made them laugh.  I finally made it to the point of not breaking down when seeing pictures but breaking out in smiles instead because I remembered something funny before or after the photos when we were kidding around.  Even really silly pix like when my folks and brother and I (we were really young, maybe 7-9?) were kidding around one summer standing on our heads in the yard; that series makes me giggle out loud now.

Mom would have appreciated the giraffe's "knobby knees" above.  She and her sis both had very pretty, shapely and thin legs - but knobby knees!  (Not unlike Betty Grable in the old pinup photo - to my everlasting chagrin, I got the tree-trunk fat legs like my dad's sisters.)  She would have giggled for a long time over the giraffe's knobby knees, so lovely gentle humor that reminds me of my parents, in particular, can make me smile for many hours on end.  Thank you!

You'll never have anyone to "boss you around" like your mother (and wouldn't take it from anyone else either, I'm thinking).... :-)  I think giving your mother flowers brought you joy.  Would it help to keep up the tradition of giving flowers..., except take a small bouquet to either a hospital, or hospice, or leave a small bouquet at the front desk of an assisted living facility for others to enjoy?  Some people don't have considerate offspring like you who bring them flowers and they might appreciate it as much as your mother did.  Maybe not yet, but think about it for future consideration if you think it would bring you consolation...?

Health-wise, with the exception of that high b/p reading yesterday (referenced elsewhere), the AF med seems to be working, so that's to the good!  The first AF med threw me for a loop and laid me really low so it's been a while recovering from that one.  Otherwise, I seem to be doing okay.  Thank you for asking.  :-)

Take care of yourself, and be gentle to yourself.  Grieving is a process that can't be either rushed or slowed down.  It happens when it happens.

~♥~

by NonnyO on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 02:49:04 PM PDT

•  I have never been a Patient person and this is one (4+ / 0-)
                mayim, The Marti, NonnyO, northcountry21st

of those times that I truly wish that Life came with a remote control or an edit button---Especially where it concerns some family members. I certainly would skip over those messy parts. Thank you for sharing memories of your mother. She sounds like a wonderful person, she certainly did well by you.
                I think you are right about helping someone out in a nursing home. During the time that my mother was there, her roommate cried one night because her daughter wasn't visiting her. I did not see one other resident whose daughter slept on a rollaway bed. I told the roommate that she set the bar too high. I also thought that the daughter didn't live in town. Yikes! I spent the last night that my mother was there curling the roommate's hair. :)
                High blood pressure is my family scourge. My mother and father both had high blood pressure. I take medication myself. Please be very careful and monitor it closely. We only have one NonnyO.

giraffe-lorry_2449210k
                Tonda, an endangered Rothschild Giraffe, nears the end of his road trip to Surrey, where he will take up residence at Chessington World of Adventures Resort. The three-year-old will form part of a new all-male herd in time for the March opening of new attraction, ZUFARI: Ride into Africa!

by mjbleo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 03:04:05 PM PDT

•  :-) Did your mother... (2+ / 0-)
                  mjbleo, mayim

... seem resentful that you paid attention to someone else?  No?

If not, I can only imagine she was proud of the fact that you showed comfort and compassion to another person (the roommate) when it mattered, and she could share you, so to speak, because she knew that she had your undying love and devotion 24/7/365.  Your mother got to see that her life lessons were well learned and mastered by her daughter.  [If I were her, I'd be very proud of that fact.  I'm projecting, I know, since I didn't know your mother, just remember the kind face with the sweet smile in the photos you posted.  I am a thousand percent certain she loved you and was very proud of you, just by the way she was looking at you taking the photos.  That's not something a person can fake.]

I promise to take care of the high blood pressure and faithfully go to every quarterly exam for the blood work.  I'd have assorted relatives (an RN among them) and friends who would get on my case about it otherwise.  My oldest and dearest friend has been known to screech, and I have to avoid that at all costs.  :-)

You have to do the same since you also take b/p meds!  [How's that for a bossy friend?!?  :-)]

:-)

by NonnyO on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:23:51 PM PDT

•  She did not seem resentful at all. But if the (2+ / 0-)
                    mayim, NonnyO

truth be told, my mother was already about to cross the bridge. She moved into a hospice the next day and passed two days after that. She would have been so proud of me. My mother was a cosmetologist and ran her own business for decades. She would have loved that I stopped feeling sorry for myself long enough to make someone else look and feel good. And she would have been proud to see me improvise with the limited tools that I had at my disposal. :) [she whispers] I am a combination of MaryAnn/The Professor from Gilligan's Island.

Precious Cargo
                    Endangered Rothschild giraffes are trans-located to Ruko Game Conservancy by barge, making this the first ever attempt to carry giraffes across water in Kenya. The project, supported and executed by The Northern Rangelands Trust and Samatian Island Lodge - a luxury camp situated on a private island in Lake Baringo - took four years to plan as, according to NRT director Ian Craig, giraffes are some of the most difficult animals to move.

Picture: AP Photo/Samatian Island Lodge

by mjbleo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:46:15 PM PDT

•  :-) I love it... (1+ / 0-)
                      mjbleo

... when my intuition is proved correct!  :-)  The fact is, when a child becomes an adult and proves to be kind, considerate, clever, intelligent, resourceful, and thoughtful, it reflects back on your mother for being a wonderful influence on the life of her offspring, and in your case your mother can take credit for being such a positive influence, and she got to live long enough to see her investment in motherhood rewarded.  It doesn't get much better than that for a parent.  Your mother could exit this world feeling not only love for you, but a quiet contentment that you would be okay, ultimately, after she left this world because you have the skills to cope with adversity.  You're mother was correct: a large measure of coping with depression and grief is just the simple act of doing something for someone else to make them feel better (and women of all ages love to feel pretty, so what a compliment to help her do her hair!)..., and suddenly you feel better because a small act of kindness has made you feel appreciated, you feel more connected to humanity, and not quite so glum.

Heck, I'm proud of you, and I'm only an internet friend!  :-)

Love the pix!  Isn't it amazing how giraffes manage to look curious, engaged, and dignified all at the same time, and that under difficult circumstances in moving them?  They are such delicate creatures, even though they are so huge.

by NonnyO on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 02:26:22 AM PDT

•  P.S. Thank you for being a bossy friend. (2+ / 0-)
                    mayim, NonnyO

Baby Giraffe
                    Baby face
                    (Getty Images photo by Boris Roessler / February 22, 2011)
                    A baby giraffe sticks out its tongue at the Opelzoo in Kronberg in Western Germany. Two giraffe babies were born at the zoo this year.

by mjbleo on Tue Sep 17, 2013 at 05:52:48 PM PDT

•  :-D Squeeeeeeee!!! :-D (1+ / 0-)
                      mjbleo

How utterly adorable and engaging!!!  I burst out in giggles in the middle of the night seeing that!  (I fell asleep early last night.)

Yup, I can be bossy - sometimes - at least when I care about people.  :-)  I'll be thinking of you on Saturday evening as I fill my pill minders with my weekly assortment of meds for high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, and gout.

:-)

by NonnyO on Wed Sep 18, 2013 at 02:40:17 AM PDT

•  :) Good, NonnyO. (1+ / 0-)
                        NonnyO
                        ...as I fill my pill minders with my weekly assortment of meds for high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, and gout.
                        Giraffe
                        On July 7, Sao Paulo Zoo welcomed a baby that was over six feet (1.85 meters) tall: a giraffe, of course! The calf is a healthy male, born to parents Mel ('Honey') and Palito ('Stick'). The delivery started around midnight, when security staff noticed and called in the vets, biologists and keepers. Because the mother was having difficulties in delivering, the vets decided to assist by tying a rope to Mel's front legs and pulling.
                        Giraffe Keeper, Laurindo, who has worked at Sao Paulo Zoo for 33 years, says he has never seen such a strong and healthy baby giraffe. Within his first two weeks, the calf was already looking for things to eat, and hopping and kicking with energy. The zoo has a tradition in breeding this species: this is their 24th giraffe born since their first in 1977.
                        Photos and story via ZooBorns