View Diary: Cheers and Jeers: Monday (157 comments)

•  Ptbtbbbbtttttpppttt.... (34+ / 0-)

MONDAY JEERS I've been dealing with a ghastly severe headache for a few days (pre-migraine variety, everything except projectile vomiting - so far)..., slept close to 24 hours yesterday, punctuated by a nightmare from which I awoke screaming.  The only thing I've ingested that's different is my new b/p med, so likely the food coloring in it is the culprit.  I knew the one that's the color of placenta blood gave me some real humdingers for nightmares, but I didn't know the mustard yellow ones would do the same.  The other one that's the 40 mg version of Lisinopril is another lighter shade of yellow, but I don't know which dye is in that one.  I have to call the pharmacist as soon as they're open to get something changed and/or call my MD who gave me the last med.  I know the 20 mg version is white, no food coloring, so if nothing else I'll find out about getting another prescription for that one and take two instead..., but this newest medication has to have an alternative version minus food dyes or else I'll have to stop taking it because I can't deal with a headache or nightmares.

Seven Mondays

CHEERS  Heh.  I categorically refuse to argue with Repukes or Teahadists.  It keeps my blood pressure at a reasonable level.  I win!!!  Mark Twain had it correct:
    Mark Twain Never Argue with Stupid People

CHEERS to alla youz and yer furry and feathery fambly and frens...!

by NonnyO on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 05:48:23 AM PDT

•  Call the damn doctor! (16+ / 0-)

It's just remotely possible it could be something new.

"Republicans are poor losers and worse winners." - My grandmother, sometime in the early 1960s

by escapee on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 06:02:03 AM PDT

•  You're right - Could be the dye (10+ / 0-)
      “Tests on lab animals of Blue 1, Blue 2, Green 3, Red 40, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6 showed signs of causing cancer or suffered from serious flaws, said the consumer group. Yellow 5 also caused mutations, an indication of possible carcinogenicity, in six of 11 tests.

“In addition, according to the report, FDA tests show that the three most-widely used dyes, Red 40, Yellow 5, and Yellow 6, are tainted with low levels of cancer-causing compounds, including benzidine and 4-aminobiphenyl in Yellow 5. However, the levels actually could be far higher, because in the 1990s the FDA and Health Canada found a hundred times as much benzidine in a bound form that is released in the colon, but not detected in the routine tests of purity conducted by the FDA.”
      Source: www.cspinet.org

I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.

by Civil Writes Activist on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 06:27:18 AM PDT

•  Thank you, CWA... (8+ / 0-)

I just hung up from talking to my pharmacist.  Poor guy said he sounds worse than he feels - he's getting over a cold.  I only use one pharmacy and he has a record of my sensitivities.  The placental red pills I can't have (like the color of ibuprofen) because they give me bloody, screaming nightmares.

I was unaware of yellow (or, more precisely "mustard yellow" colored pills - the info on the label - they're the color of dark yellow baby poop) being a problem until I started taking them.  The Lisinopril is a very, very pale yellow and it looks white until I put it next to a white pill.  I don't know if they're from the same yellow dye group or not, just that they're both different shades of yellow.
        Those food dyes are pretty awful, I know that.  I try to avoid colored pills when I can and get white pills most of the time; one of them my pharmacist special orders in white for me.

I just got off the phone with the pharmacist.  After checking the color of a similar medication with a different name the pharmacist sent a fax to my MD to ask for a new prescription for that one (it's a pale pink, which seems to be okay in previous meds - it's not that placental red color) 'cuz this one gives me a headache and nightmares, as do the other placental colored ones (I never had nightmares before them, and most certainly didn't wake myself screaming, so that was quite a shock the first few times it happened until I figured out what triggered the nightmares).  He'll call me later when he hears from my MD.

I love my pharmacist 'cuz he's so very understanding and patient about all this stuff.  One of his new assistants just got her pharmacist license, and when additional pills were given a couple of months ago after I was diagnosed with the second heart condition, atrial fibrillation, she checked for drug interactions, too, because I'm taking so many different pills I had to find out which ones may or may not react with each other.

I have "exciting" Saturday nights.  After my last evening med is taken, I sit here and refill my pill minders for the week.  I got a new one with a.m. pills on one side and p.m. pills on the other side.  I take my gout med and vitamin D at noon so those are in another pill minder.

:-)  Thanks again, for the additional info.  I appreciate it.

by NonnyO on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 06:48:29 AM PDT

•  And why, oh why (4+ / 0-)
      NonnyO, The Marti, fritzrth, diggerspop

do pills need to be any color at all???
      teh stoopid.

When lots of people show up to vote, Democrats tend to win.

by Audri on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 07:53:24 AM PDT

•  I know, right? (7+ / 0-)

Plain white will do, tyvm.  Food coloring only adds cost.

I'd suggest different shapes, but that would make it difficult to use the pill splitter on them.  Two of the pills I take are 1 1/2 morning and night, and the other one is 1/2 morning, 1/2 night (smallest pill, and it's difficult to split the darn thing).

A logo or mark of some kind impressed into the pill would be a good idea.  The big one that needs splitting has a line drawn down the center as is, and it's easy to line up the pill splitter on that one.

For most people the "inert ingredients" don't bother them.

For me?  It's the reason to stop taking them because it's the "inert ingredients" and food dyes that cause the side effects (headaches, nausea feeling, nightmares).

Like my gout meds that cost $.09 cents per (little white) tablet in generic form (colchicine is used for other things besides gout, it has been around for 3,500 years, side effects known, safe dosages long ago figured out before the FDA was ever made an official department of the government), and the corporation that makes the 'tested' version added blue and red dye to make purple, shaped them in an itty bitty oval, and now charge $4.35 per pill...!!!  Worse, thanks to two senators, it's legal for this corporation to demand the generics can't be made for three years so they can soak up the profits because they did the "official testing"!!!!!!!  [BTW, the corporate prescription insurance for Medicare Part D actually covers that outrageous price!  I have the prescription, but the once or twice I took them I had an adverse reaction - yes, probably from the dyes that make the pills a purple color.  I'm hoping to keep my gout in check until I can get a generic prescription again.]

While my Saturday evenings are boring as hell, I actually take the time to read my labels faithfully so I get the right meds in the correct dosages as I fill my pill minders.  Many of my pills are white, and I know what they are by the size.

Sheeeeeeze.  Not all old people have lost their marbles, and some of us actually know how to take our medications properly, no matter what kind of pill it is: we read the damned labels...!

by NonnyO on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 08:15:21 AM PDT

•  Sadly, there are many of us who are on multiple (7+ / 0-)

meds and it helps to tell them apart.  Even a little confusion can have devastating effects!

The other, more likely, answer is so that the marketers can tell them apart...it's allll in the advertising.  sigh.

If they could do them like M&Ms though....yummm. :-)

We cannot call ourselves a civilised society if we refuse to protect the weakest among us.

by The Marti on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 08:17:49 AM PDT

•  I know the pills can be confusing (6+ / 0-)

Before I was diagnosed with high b/p I was taking NO medications at all.  After...?  Uff da.

I resorted to the pill minders because if I'm doing genealogy research I forget if I have or have not taken meds, even when I remember the proper times (or at least within an hour of morning and evening times).  I still read the labels even though some of the meds I've been taking all along for years now and I know what they are.

There still needs to be a generic variety without food coloring for those of us who are sensitive to the dyes.  I would consider that a fair trade-off.

by NonnyO on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 08:27:05 AM PDT

•  To help distinguish one pill from another. (4+ / 0-)
        theBreeze, fritzrth, NonnyO, diggerspop

I know dye can cause problems but so can mixing your pills.

We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. B. Franklin

by Observerinvancouver on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 11:47:59 AM PDT

•  Hence... (1+ / 0-)
          diggerspop

... the reason for the pill minders (to keep times separate) and the reason I actually read the labels every time I fill my pill minders - to avoid confusion.

Besides the regular daily pills, I have those I have to "keep on hand just in case I need them" - like Nitrostat for chest pain, and the one for if I have another serious gout attack (it's a steroid of some sort since I'm not real sure the colchicine with dyes is going to do more than make me ill), etc.

I'm aware that probably others are not as careful with their meds, but I have a large plastic bag full of pill bottles for my regular daily meds and I'm always careful to keep them separate from the "just in case" pills.  I live alone, so I have to be careful as a regular safety measure.

by NonnyO on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 05:49:01 PM PDT

•  What's with the food dyes in pharmaceuticals? (4+ / 0-)
      NonnyO, fritzrth, Schwede, diggerspop

Are they invisible without them?

Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Gentle Giant on Mon Oct 14, 2013 at 08:37:09 AM PDT

•  Excellent Question!!! (4+ / 0-)

{{{Hugs, GG!}}}

I intend to use that quip at some point either with the pharmacist or with my MD or cardiologist (or next time I'm in the hospital for whatever reason).

:-D THANKS!!! :-)