View Diary: Scott Walker's conversation with 'David Koch' (302 comments)

•  next to nothing (1+ / 0-)
    Jake Johnson

except:
    Fake Koch alluded to using a bat on the Democrats.
    Fake Koch suggested planting agents in among the protesters.
    Fake Koch invited Walker out to California for a visit.

so every dirty and low thing that this diary credits Walker with actually came from Murphy.

I wish there was something on the tape more incriminating than that.  Something that suggested Walker was doing something illegal that nobody knew about.  But everything he said on the tape, he's pretty much said in public.

Did you know he has a bat in his office with his name on it?  Who has a bat with their name on it?

•  How many times must I say to you... (6+ / 0-)

the issue is Walkers response to being called by a Koch Bro. Walker immediately upon receiving the call went into a complete debriefing of union-busting activities. Nuance? Possibly. But I assume that is not normal activity by  govenor

No home. No job. No peace. No rest.

by A Runner on Wed Feb 23, 2011 at 09:50:29 AM PST

•  How about the mere fact (1+ / 0-)
      PsychoSavannah

he even took the call in the first place.

It's because MONEY can buy you access. That's the bigger problem we have here. Major political donors can get that access, and those personal phone calls.....but us average working class citizens can't. Citizen's United codified that money can buy you your government.

It's a gov't of the wealthy, for the wealthy, and by wealthy.. USA Inc.

Walker is the poster boy of the best gov't money can buy.

It will not matter how much money was in my bank account, but the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a child.

by emal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 at 10:20:52 AM PST

•  That's news? (0+ / 0-)

Politicians talk to their supporters all the time.

•  OH jeebus....groan (0+ / 0-)

Need a little straw for that man you've constructed there.

I didn't say it was news,I said that the freaking issue is that MONEY buys you access. Period. That's all one needs to buy gov't. And now there aren't really any limits on how much corporations can directly donate to politicians, it's eroded democracy ...this little phone call exemplfied the problem....it's the best gov't corporations can buy and it's only going to be worse thanks to Citizen's United.  USA Inc.

by emal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 at 03:42:23 PM PST

•  I Know That (0+ / 0-)

It happens just the same with liberal politicians. I know this personally, having donated enough to matter. Look, I think Walker is a rat bastard, same as you do, but taking a call from someone he thought was a big-bucks contributor is not unusual.

If the caller had been able to draw Walker into a quid-pro-quo, THAT would have been worth the price of admission. But the caller didn't do it. If you think politicians shouldn't take calls from their big contributors, all I can say is, "Be careful what you wish for."

•  Again with the straw man (0+ / 0-)

I didn't say anything about not taking calls from contributors...but I'm saying the problem is he doesn't likely take calls from those who can't AFFORD to or didn't contribute heavily to his election.

All phone calls to people who work for us are not equal (he does work for me too), and all access to politicians is definitely not equal....that's the issue  ...all access to democracy is not equal..and that is a huge problem....only certain voices get heard, get to plead their case, and might be influenced by hmmm the ability to give you huge sums of money so you can get elected again. A huge reality and problem.

Public financing of campaigns would go a long way in ensuring equal face time for ALL Americans....or at least leveling the playing field.

by emal on Wed Feb 23, 2011 at 05:03:20 PM PST

•  Who Does Take Calls? (0+ / 0-)

Do you honestly believe that liberal politicians are any more likely to take a call out of the blue from an ordinary citizen? Come on, be honest. Look at Rahm Emanuel. He raised $10 million last year, before fundraising limits went into effect. Are you going to tell me that he'll take your call on the same basis as a call from someone who wrote a gigantic check?

I agree with you on public financing. I don't give big money because I want to or for favors. I'm a true believer. The calls come from them to me, but after I write the check I'm also told, "Call any time. I'd love to hear from you."

The straw man is coming from you. I'm as far from a Republican as you can get, but to be shocked, just shocked, at Walker (gasp!) taking a call from someone who he thinks is a Koch, is ridiculous. Is Walker in Koch's hip pocket? Probably is. Most of the politicians in both parties are bought and paid for by someone.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

•  Way to intentionally miss my main (0+ / 0-)

point and trying to deflect it by making it about the call versus the fact that it's really about the money.  "The call" was a symbol/ a symptom of my main idea. That's what "the call" represented...it showed how big political campaign donor money can buy you access.

Main idea... MONEY is corrupting the system of political campaigning and therefore democracy and gov't..particularly big money..money buys access, face time with lawmakers/politicians, money buys gov't....

Plus, where in any of my posts did I ever insinuate or say that democrats don't do it? Or that any politician doesn't do it....yeah that'd be never. Because I never said or inferred that...you argued a point I never made.

And just because that's how the system works, it doesn't make it right...that is what I pointed out ...I can't get access to any politician because I can't afford to contribute big bucks to their campaigns...me and millions of others.

Once again Main idea: MONEY, big money from political donor campaign contributions, is the source and problem in ALL of gov't in this country...it buys politicians, access to politicians/lawmakers and therefore buys gov't....corporate money, campaign contributions...it's corrupting democracy...the best gov't money can buy.

It's been the main theme and idea through all my posts to your responses. Still is...

enjoy your day.

by emal on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 06:33:46 AM PST

•  I Get Your Point. Do You Get Mine? (0+ / 0-)

I have much better reason to oppose money in politics than you do, because I actually make big contributions. When Walker took that call from a guy he thought was Koch, he wasn't doing anything different than what every other politician does.

So why get outraged at Walker merely for taking the call? Are you equally outraged at Rahm Emanuel for scooping up $10 million last year? Are you mad at Barack Obama for inviting his big campaign donors (as opposed to, say, you) to the White House?

I sure didn't see any mention of that from you.

•  Assume much here (0+ / 0-)

You make way too many assumptions about my thoughts and beliefs based on something I didn't mention specifically in my post....wow.  That's just so wrong and irresponsible.

I can't be any clearer or consistent as to my overriding concern and dislike of big Money/political corporate donor influence (especially in light of the Citizen's United ruling) in gov't no matter what party, what gov't level, or who is doing it. It's wrong and I'm fully against it.  Period.

have a good day.

by emal on Thu Feb 24, 2011 at 10:58:10 AM PST

•  You Only Object In Walker's Case (0+ / 0-)

You have said nothing at all about the influence of big money on Obama. Look, we agree that we don't like the big money in politics. We'd like to have campaigns publicly financed, although I think it will never happen.

The only difference I see is that you seem to believe that Walker's taking a call from someone he thought was a big contributor was somehow shocking, unusual, or uniquely offensive.

My response is that you might as well get pissed at the sun's rise in the East. Given the system we've got, Walker didn't do anything out of the ordinary by taking the "Koch" call. Any Democrat would've done the same, and probably even if the caller was Koch.

Yeah, it sucks, but it's not an argument against Walker any more than it's an argument against any of them. Quit being so selectively naive. I'm too old, grizzled, and battered to fall for faux-innocence. At least I hope it's "faux," because if you're serious then you've got even more to learn than I think.

•  Not happy ...so you keep building straw men (0+ / 0-)

and then proceed to insult me in a very condescending manner...seriously...this is getting very old....and totally unnecessary/uncalled for on your part.

I will try my best not to stoop to your level. I am not the enemy here(although in your case if you're the wealthy connected elite you appear to insinuate in this thread maybe you consider me the enemy)..I am not the ignorant nor blind democratic partisan you believe me to be. I certainly wasn't born yesterday. I understand the ways of the world and understand that life and politics isn't fair. I certainly understand that it's not what you know but who you know and who has all the money that really counts in this country. The Golden Rule...he who has the gold rules.

Knowing all that, it doesn't mean that I'm naive, ignorant, or wrong just because I want to correct a system that is badly if not fatally broken and inherently undemocratic....it doesn't mean just because that is the way the system works, that I can't point out the flaws in the system on a blog or shouldn't hope and try to push that same system in the right direction. It doesn't mean that I should not also be allowed to vent my frustration about it on a blog.

I get it! I know it might be futile, I know things are stacked against me/a mere commoner...I know venting on a blog doesn't substitute for action...but... What do I have to lose at this point? What harm does it do? What's the worst that could happen to me at this point? Have some condescending individual on a blog calling me names and putting words in my mouth, and arguing/getting angry with me because I didn't also point out that "both parties do it too", enough for his liking by also specifically pointing out Obama and Rahm do it everyday...jeebus. That's what you're upset about...Despite the fact it was a thread about Walker and his Koch phone call...but that's beside the point...puh-leeze. Just stop.

I've got far bigger problems in life and dealt with worse things that really matter to me....Just stop, please.
                          I am not the enemy.

Have a nice day. Peace.

by emal on Fri Feb 25, 2011 at 07:35:38 AM PST

•  Reality Check (0+ / 0-)

If it's wrong for Walker, it's wrong for Rahm Emanuel and Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. Nowhere is partisan blindness so blatant as in the area of campaign finance. You know someone's drunk the Kool-Aid when they are "outraged" at the other guy's money.

This all started between the two of us when I replied to your message castigating Walker for ever having taken the call. You wrote that "Walker is the poster boy of the best gov't money can buy." I replied, "That's news? Politicians talk to their supporters all the time." And then it was off to the races.

I do agree that there's a poster to be made. But it's going to be a damned big bunch of kids, and just as many of them are going to be Democrats as Republicans. Really, put down that glass of Kool Aid and look around. If it bothers you that much, there's always Ralph Nader. You know the saint who bequeathed George W. Bush upon us?

• Recommended (149)
  • Community (68)
  • Elections (34)
  • Media (33)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (31)
  • Environment (30)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Labor (23)
  • Economy (21)
  • Marriage Equality (19)
  • Josh Duggar (19)
  • Jeb Bush (18)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site