View Diary: Bernie Sanders Write-In Campaign (UPDATE) (67 comments)

•  As several commenters had pointed out... (10+ / 0-)

...advocating for a third-party attack on Democratic candidates is forbidden here. Don't do it again.

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe.

by Meteor Blades on Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 11:53:29 AM PDT

•  I surely don't agree with that policy. (0+ / 0-)

A run by someone like Bernie Sanders (hypothetically speaking for now) could move the National debate to saner ground. And Bernie would be able to re-energergize and re-vitalize those who were excited in 2008, but are now disillusioned, those who have been disillusioned for even longer, and the kids coming up now who are already cynics (I have an 18-year old daughter, and I can hear it in her voice and in those around her as well).

But Bernie is no Ralph Nader. He's a pragmatist, not an egomaniac with his head up his ass. Were he to run, (and I doubt he will), he'd build up a huge following, and then throw his support behind Obama, after wringing out some real change consessions, as he did with the HCR, where he was able to obstruct the process until he got the consession on the Free Clinics, a very real benefit for many, many people without the resources to afford decent care.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 02:52:36 PM PDT

•  You're welcome to start your own blog (1+ / 0-)
        fcvaguy

where you can have any policy you'd like. :)

The GOP wants government to live within their memes.

by second gen on Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 02:54:36 PM PDT

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 02:56:05 PM PDT

•  I just checked out your link which brought (0+ / 0-)

me back to MB's comment.

I'm not advocating for any sort of civil disobedience here, I'm merely pointing out my disagreement with the policy, particularly in light of what we've been seeing from our Democratic leaders of late.

I'm not moving away from the Party. I still believe the same things I did 3-4 years ago, but the Party's been moving away from me, and from a lot of us in the past 2 and 1/2 years, and I'm frustrated enough to be looking for ways to bring them back.

I think it might be time to take a fresh look at a policy enacted when the base wasn't getting beaten up and ignored on an almost constant basis.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 03:07:12 PM PDT

•  MB, might I suggest a fresh look at that policy (0+ / 0-)

in light of what "our" party and our "leaders" have been up to of late?

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Sat Jul 09, 2011 at 03:09:26 PM PDT

•  A fresh look has been taken... (4+ / 0-)
        second gen, fcvaguy, Lawrence, elwior

...and the policy remains intact. People can certainly argue (without penalty) that the policy is not a good one and should be changed. But anyone who actually advocates for a third-party candidate or for forming a third party gets one warning. A repeat results in banning. That may not forever be the policy, but it is now.

by Meteor Blades on Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 12:35:27 AM PDT

•  Umm.... clarification please (2+ / 0-)
          elwior, Celtic Pugilist

Are we talking only about a candidate from an official "third party", or does this extend even to real independents (which presumably Bernie would be)? This is important, because I need to know what to do should the situation arise. I mean, I kinda doubt Sanders is gonna run, but if he does I'll be behind him 100%. And so then, if such advocacy will be deemed out-of-bounds here, I'm gonna have a decision to make: Either keep my mouth shut, and so go against my strong moral beliefs that Bernie is a far better choice than Obama; or speak out and endorse the man, thereby getting myself banned. I really wouldn't want to lose the ability to post on this site, but if I was forced to hide my support for a man like Bernie Sanders... well, I'd have to walk away from this site.

"Any dictator would admire the uniformity and obedience of the U.S. media." -- Noam Chomsky

by ratmach on Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 01:19:50 AM PDT

•  If Bernie were to run against Obama, ... (1+ / 0-)
            ratmach

...which he won't, there would be a policy statement from site management regarding your concerns on this.

by Meteor Blades on Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 01:50:51 AM PDT

•  Interesting.... thanks for that (1+ / 0-)
              elwior

And yeah, you're probably right (that he won't run).

by ratmach on Sun Jul 10, 2011 at 02:00:51 AM PDT