View Diary: Welcome to Teapocalypse (132 comments)

•  Obama triangulation has failed (39+ / 0-)

am a black guy who was very enthusiastic about voting for Obama. I will vote for him next year, but I do not respect him as a fighter anymore. I think he is weak. That he choose the wrong strategy, instead of taking the GOP's bullshit and sticking it up their ass. He strategy was embracing the GOP kool aid, on hope of capturing the middle. But now that strategy is blowing up in his face, as the middle is abandoning him. And his base is apoplectic. The problem Obama has is that people did not elect him to cut SS and Medicare and lower tax rates. We elected him to create jobs. He does not talk much about those things lately. And the media can say "even Obama agrees with the Republicans on taxing and spending"

At the end of the day people will say that this proves liberal policies do not work. The problem is he has not done any liberal policies. Even the stimulus was almost 40% taxes. But since he embraced it he will own it. What he should have said with the stimulus is that it was far to small; it should be much bigger. But the republicans wont let it pass unless I make it smaller. Instead what he did say is the liberals say it is too small, the conservatives say it is too big. We say it is just right. Now he owns a stimulus that was too small comprised of almost half tax cuts.

•  Here is some more proof (16+ / 0-)

"Oddly, many voters prefer the policies of Democrats to the policies of Republicans. They just don’t trust the Democrats to carry out those promises. "

•   ... (3+ / 0-)
      LaurenMonica, Matt Z, bythesea

'If you want to be a hero, well just follow me.' - J. Lennon

by Clive all hat no horse Rodeo on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:10:21 AM PDT

•  2008 (5+ / 0-)
      fromer, roadbear, TampaCPA, zinger99, cameoanne

Obama took the bipartisan road before the beginning--he refused to campaign in GA (?) during a Senate runoff vote in December 2008.  That extra senator would have made a world of difference--but the president elect thought himself above partisan elections.  Hasn't worked out too well--yet the smart guy still doesn't get it.

Apres Bush, le deluge.

by melvynny on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:20:48 AM PDT

•  He never was a fighter.. (6+ / 0-)

He's simply a good campaigner.  There's a big difference.

He hasn't fought for much of anything.. and on the big stuff, he drives from the back seat.. and the podium.. never getting his hands dirty with the details.

Look at the monstrosity we got called Health Care Reform.  He would only list "goals".. never a detailed plan.

And the debt deal..  he claims he is a mediator.  That's not what we elected.. I thought we elected a leader.. a fighter.

•  It is projection by all who ever believed (3+ / 0-)

that Obama was anything but a centrist.

He would not have won 373 electoral votes otherwise.

When you see your opposition destroying themselves, the last thing you want to do is get in their way.  Obama is doing an exemplary job in that regard.

I see a very beautiful planet that seems very inviting and peaceful. Unfortunately, it is not.…We're better than this. We must do better. Cmdr Scott Kelley

by wretchedhive on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:48:40 AM PDT

•  I agree with all but the projection. (2+ / 0-)
        zinger99, jds1978

Candidate Obama was wrapped and packaged and marketed.

He talked the talk as candidate Obama.  He has just not walked the walk as Pres. Obama.

I will vote for him in 2012, but only because the Repub alternative would be disastrous.  I honestly wonder if a majority of Repub politicians tie their own shoes in the morning.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win". Mohandas K. Ghandi

by Randolph the red nosed reindeer on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:54:29 AM PDT

•  The GOP establishment won't go unscathed (3+ / 0-)

after this fiasco, the teabaggers exposed for what they truly are.

I'm not going to worry about what color the trim is on the house until not only the flood waters recede, but the levee is reinforced.  For that to happen, the center must be held.

Like it or not, he is now president for everyone, not merely the Democratic party.  I voted for my trust in his judgment in a changing political climate, and if the price of security from ideologues is to give the GOP enough rope to hang themselves with - so be it.

I support his pragmatism and rationality in this regards.

As they would reject his cure for cancer, I don't worry about him offering the moon.  The right has an iceberg on the tracks - trains don't change direction.

Most voters don't follow the sausage making closely, but they are slowly waking up to the fact that the GOP would see this country burn, so long as they are in power.

by wretchedhive on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 06:13:37 AM PDT

•  I hope that you are right. (0+ / 0-)

What's the old expression?  "Money talks and bullshit walks."

It is my opinion, that today in our government, money talks.  We have the best politicians that money can buy.
            As an aside, as a primary health care provider, I can categorically state that we have the best healthcare that money can buy.

Unfortunately, while Pres. Obama scores relatively high marks on his stands on non-monetary social issues, he most definitely is more influenced by his corporate supporters and the corporate entities that he is currently courting to become new corporate supporters when it comes to bread and butter issues of our economy.

Throw grandma off the train Mr. Pres.

I really, really do hope that you are right and I am wrong.

by Randolph the red nosed reindeer on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 06:20:01 AM PDT

•  the healthcare is great (0+ / 0-)

if you can access it.  regardless of your income.

by wretchedhive on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 04:02:21 PM PDT

•  Me too. As an AA woman, I'm about done as well. (13+ / 0-)

It pains me to say this. And really, in "familiar" company I would say much more. I think Obama's fetish for compromise is personal and psychological. I'll leave it at that.

I was a huge supporters in 2008. In time and treasure. But I won't be this time. I just can't. I don't know how I can knock on doors and "sell" this president "on its face".  saying the GOP would be worse won't do it. Not for the disengaged and not even for me.

I'v actually come to terms with the fact that we'll likely see a teahadist takeover in 2012 no matter what I do. Unemployment will be well over 10% (officially) and god only knows what other programs and services will be held hostage between now and November 2012.

I've decided that whomever is able to survive 4 years of an American teahadist government will at least be at the forefront of a strong (and aggressive) progressive movement in America, possibly for the first REAL time since the Great Depression (which will look like tiddly winks by the time 2016 comes around).

I am basically preparing for it. And I encourage others to do the same. This is very serious.

If you cannot emigrate (even illegally - you will only need to be gone for about four years), then start learning how to grow your own food. make arrangements for communal living if you can. Look into discharging or paying off your debt. Consider how you'll get electricity and keep you water clean (these thing will be privatized under the teahadist rule). Get health. Get strong. If you can't do that, get a network around you for support. Communal living. Explore ways to treat your illnesses without pills (we won't be able to afford them). Or make arrangements to stock up if you can. Ladies, get your birth control situation in order. Whatever you're going to do, consider that you may not have access to pills and certainly won't have access to abortion services. Internet. Cell phones. Communications. Think about those things.

This is serious. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best but don't stick your head in the sand. Progressives have been calling this accurately for decades. We see the train coming. we know what happens when big cuts are taking place in the middle of a recession. Somehow, the president believes that these actions are good for reelection. We know different. Just be prepared.

•  Tipped for the content, and.... (0+ / 0-)

....Recced for referencing Angry Birds. Because it's awesome.

• Recommended (153)
  • Media (28)
  • Republicans (28)
  • Barack Obama (25)
  • Law (24)
  • Labor (23)
  • Spam (22)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (20)
  • International (19)
  • Economy (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site