View Diary: If You Would Like to take a short break from Gnashing and Rending... UPDATED w/transcript (73 comments)

•  Are you ok with all of this taking place (1+ / 0-)
    snackdoodle

behind closed doors, and the decision being made without the public having a chance to review or provide feedback.

If there is a committee, it needs to be public.  Not behind closed doors.

"But once John Boehner is sworn in as Speaker, then he’s going to have responsibilities to govern. You can’t just stand on the sidelines and be a bomb thrower." - President Obama, 12-07-2010

by justmy2 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 08:59:09 AM PDT

•  No (7+ / 0-)

I'm not OK with any of this.  I am a Keynsian and a socialist. Whether closed doors or open, its all a bunch of shit.

I never thought Obama was progressive, just better than the republicans.  Even with this monstrosity he still is better, and I'll vote for him.  Its times like this that make me hate Americans' ignorance and shortsightedness.  It all just sucks.

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 09:03:00 AM PDT

•  pretty much agree... (2+ / 0-)
        Empty Vessel, RenaRF

the system is just broken...all key progressive constituencies have been drastically undermined (biggest example being labor) and no major National Democrats seem to be willing to step into the fray.

Democrats are simply way too cautious.  At least that is the favorable reading.

by justmy2 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 09:13:03 AM PDT

•  The reason I vote for dems (1+ / 0-)
          RenaRF

is because I believe that progressives make up somewhere around 20% of the electorate.  With those numbers, no progressive 3rd party can win, only hand the election to republicans.

So...as I see it, America just sucks.  Always has, likely will for the foreseeable future.  Whatever happens today (default or deal), at best we are heading into 1937.  And we are not alone, Europe is making the exact same mistake (austerity).

The only question that remains is just how fucked we are gonna be?  That remains to be seen.

As far as the election in November, for all I know Obama is actually playing a winning strategy--if true, that would suck too.  Playing a losing strategy would suck even more...but it don't make this any less sucky.

We are gonna have a lost decade at least.  Long term unemployment is going to be the norm.

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 09:24:20 AM PDT

•  Why can't they win? (1+ / 0-)
            RenaRF

I don't get your argument.  I think it makes sense on a national level but on a local level?  Why couldn't a 3rd party win?  Sanders has done it term after term.

"The real wealth of a nation consists of the contributions of its people and nature." -- Rianne Eisler

by noofsh on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 10:17:37 AM PDT

•  I wasn't talking about local (0+ / 0-)

I was talking national.  More-so, we need 51 Sanders winning locally to get single payer--that just ain't gonna happen any time soon.

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 10:21:11 AM PDT

•  The next election is the line for me (1+ / 0-)
        Empty Vessel

If the Rs win, after their true colors have been shown so brightly, then I lose all faith.

•  I lost faith in 2004 (1+ / 0-)
          worldlotus

Haven't ever really regained it.  I do believe that I must vote for the lesser of two evils, but lets not kid ourselves over the evil that is this country.

We don't help the poor and disenfranchised because the vast majority of Americans simply don't want to.

by Empty Vessel on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 09:43:27 AM PDT

•  He talked the talk (0+ / 0-)

Unfortunately the walk was more stagger than swagger.

Either you're wit' us or a Guinness -- Brilliant!

by Unforgiven on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 09:39:33 AM PDT

•  OMFG. You are SO right. (0+ / 0-)

I hate to say it - but we get the government we deserve - and the "we" in the picture here is the larger American public.  That same American public who know more about who Snooky slept with on Jersey Shore than they do about basic economic policy and growth.

We're doomed if we remain this collectively ignorant.