View Diary: “Why Voters Tune Out Democrats,” by Pollster Stanley Greenberg in Sunday’s NYT (213 comments)

•  I disagree. You could poll 1000 voters in any (1+ / 0-)
    Imhotepsings

state and I guarantee that no more than 10% would even know the specifics of what you're talking about.  When the statement is made that "govt helps the irresponsible" people are not talking about corporations.  "Corporate welfare" is the phrase used when voters talk about corporate subsidies.

With regard to being angry at white voters, not at all.  I'm simply pointing out that white voters are the majority of the electorate, and are most likely to support the GOP, even more so in the South.  If any changes are to occur along the lines advocated on this blog, Democrats need a larger share of this voting bloc (at least for the next 20-30 years).  That's just political reality.

With regard to to listening to what people say.  I live in a reddish purple state.  I guarantee you I know more, talk to more, hear more conservative pov than you probably do, and this is what they are telling me.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 01:47:54 PM PDT

•  it would (1+ / 0-)
      lordcopper

if you added corporate welfare to the sentence, incompetent ceo's who expect the government to bail them out without having to do their jobs properly.

Just say it: Medicare for All

by anna shane on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 02:16:03 PM PDT

•  Is that an acknowledgement that this statement (1+ / 0-)
        Imhotepsings

is not referring to corporate subsidies?

GOVERNMENT operates by the wrong values and rules, for the wrong people and purposes, the Americans I’ve surveyed believe. Government rushes to help the irresponsible and does little for the responsible.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 02:23:53 PM PDT

•  no (3+ / 0-)
          Dallasdoc, zett, Imhotepsings

it's open to interpretation and has no set meaning.  We give it the meaning that's true, it's up to us to drive the discourse, unless we wish to be driven.  We've let them have it, let's take it, it's more properly our own.  We just need to add clarity so no one mistakes who's irresponsible.

Just say it: Medicare for All

by anna shane on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 02:29:32 PM PDT

•  white voters... the South... demographic trends (1+ / 0-)
      zett

Rather than argue with arguments, you argue with statistics and "political reality".  This is why people don't like the "mealy mouthed" "professional left".

It shouldn't surprise you that blaming white voters and the South isn't going to win you any friends from white voters and the South.  That's not how Barack Obama won in Virginia and North Carolina.

Most voters don't know what's going on, thanks in part to a giant propaganda machine on the right, and thanks in part to on the other side people like you who waste time yelling at white people instead of proposing solutions.

Voters do know that their taxes are going up, their infrastructure is crumbling, their Social Security and Medicare that they've paid into for their entire working lives are being threatened, and there are no jobs.

This is not just a problem for white voters, this a problem for all working people.  Dividing the working class into white people and colored people and giving white privilege to the white segment in exchange for complicity is the capitalist MO.  You don't need to help the investor class by joining them in telling white people they shouldn't vote Democratic.

Global warming is the inconvenient truth, nuclear power is the inconvenient alternative.

by eigenlambda on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 02:25:13 PM PDT

•  I don't need friends like that. Sorry if the (1+ / 0-)
        Imhotepsings

truth hurts.

Oh, and BTW, I'm hardly a member of the "professional left".  I'm one of those damn pragmatic moderates.

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 04:00:30 PM PDT