View Diary: Debt ceiling 'compromise' appears to include everything far-right demanded (288 comments)

•  Maybe she'll step up to primary Obama. (5+ / 0-)

I can only hope.  She can't be worse than he is, at the very least.

Is Bill and Hillary Clinton sitting back and thinking, "Gee, Obama is doing a great job as a Democratic president?"  I hope not.

Obama still has time to announce he's not running for a second term. THEN we could have a productive and meaningful Democratic Primary. We desperately need that.

by gooderservice on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:28:09 PM PDT

•  what are you smoking. I want some! (1+ / 0-)
      JustDontKnow
      •  I'm smoking a progressive and liberal agenda, (2+ / 0-)
        Losty, Jeremimi

one which Obama lost the keys to.

by gooderservice on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:50:48 PM PDT

•  Okay (2+ / 0-)
          joshc123, Matt Z

so you turn to Hillary Clinton as the progressive and liberal savior?  There is scarcely any real difference between her and Obama, and that was always the case (she is probably just a bit more hawkish though).

•  Nah, not the progressive and liberal savior. (3+ / 0-)
            bythesea, Bensdad, Jeremimi

Not at all.

She was the first person who knew that we need healthcare reform before we actually did need it.

Obama... meh.  All talk and backroom deals.

I'm positive that Hillary will help to give me at least a couple things that are important to my family.  Obama?  Not so much.

by gooderservice on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 06:25:48 PM PDT

•  You're smoking more than that... (2+ / 0-)
          Subterranean, Samer

...if you think Hillary Clinton is the key to a "progressive and liberal" agenda that would differ significantly from Obama's.

Looking at either the 2008 primary campaign (where Hillary and Barack Obama had very similar platforms) and the Clinton presidency (remember welfare reform, the Telecom Act, and repeal of Glass-Stegall?) I can't see why anyone would expect Hillary to give us a substantially different outcome.

Political Compass: -6.75, -3.08

by TexasTom on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 06:14:11 PM PDT

•  Why? (2+ / 0-)
            Bensdad, Jeremimi

Because Hillary isn't interested in being a moderator in a bipartisan agenda.

I don't believe that she would fight for everything I would want, but I know that she would at least fight for something -- Obama is not capable of doing that, as he's shown.

by gooderservice on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 06:24:20 PM PDT

•  Smoke this: (0+ / 0-)

She's a true Democrat, a fighter, and anyone could have done better.

Anyone.

I am waiting in my car, I am waiting in this bar, I am waiting on your essence. - Lucinda Williams

by Bensdad on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 07:00:06 PM PDT

•  Apparently you, in turn, have forgotten (1+ / 0-)
            Jeremimi

that immediately after the primaries - while they were both still Senators - Obama voted to reauthorise warrantless wiretapping in July 2008 (after having promised to filibuster it to prove his progressive bona fides in Oct 2007), while the "hawkish" "centrist" Clinton voted against it and gave one hell of a floor speech saying that it was a Bad Thing.

You've also forgotten the part where BOTH Clintons' autobios state that Hillary was opposed to DADT (she favoured open service) and ambivalent at best about NAFTA (I don't recall anything about Glass-Steagall, but remember that it passed 90-8 on the Senate floor. There's a lot of blame to spread there, and I get tired of Clinton catching all of it.) She voted against both rounds of Bush tax cuts, introduced bills to reward companies that don't offshore manufacturing jobs, and reached out to individual Republicans to build support for a universal healthcare bill. She pushed for the founding of the Center for American Progress (an attempt to form an opposite to the Heritage Foundation), went out of her way to support CREW and, in 2008, pushed for a larger stimulus package that would have added goodies for senior citizens, disabled and veterans (it ended up filibustered). Most tellingly, in September 2008, her proposal to deal with the economic crisis was to establish another New Deal for home ownership.

Idk about you, but if the proof's in the pudding, then Clinton's more progressive than President Obama.

•  well, its going up in smoke! (0+ / 0-)
    •  I'd actually like to see a non DLC (9+ / 0-)

candidate take up the primary cudgels. There's very little to distinguish Clinton and Obama in terms of policy.

I voted for Obama in the primaries because I thought he would be free of the Clinton baggage and thus more able to push unencumbered for real Democratic initiatives. As it turns out, we had two bad choices, which is the story of our current political system...

Whom do you blame more? The rattlesnake, or the bipartisan guy who put it in your sleeping bag?

by chuckvw on Sun Jul 31, 2011 at 05:40:34 PM PDT