View Diary: Fox News blasts dog whistle in report on Obama's birthday party (184 comments)

•  Yes. He's talked in the past (7+ / 0-)

about running for Governor of Alabama as a Republican. Not sure if he's still saying that.

Electing conservatives is like hiring a carpenter who thinks hammers are evil.

by bwintx on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:08:06 AM PDT

•  Last I heard, he had been healed. n/t (10+ / 0-)

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:09:10 AM PDT

•  By Michele Bachmann's Husband? (0+ / 0-)

"There are hundreds and hundreds of scientists, many of them holding Nobel Prizes, who believe in intelligent design." -Rep. Michele Bachmann, Oct. 2006

"Always remember this: They fight with money and we resist with time, and they’re going to run out of money before we run out of time." -Utah Philips

by TerryDarc on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 10:58:02 AM PDT

•  He had more important things to take care of like (3+ / 0-)
      bwintx, sethtriggs, skyounkin

fixing his golf swing.

Cheers

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." - President Merkin Muffley

by Farkletoo on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:10:45 AM PDT

•  Per wikipedia (18+ / 0-)
      Politics
      Barkley spoke for many years of his Republican Party affiliation. In 1995, he considered running as a Republican candidate for Alabama's governorship in the 1998 election.[66] However, in 2006, he altered his political stance.[67] At a July 2006 meeting of the Southern Regional Conference of the National School Boards Association in Destin, Florida, Barkley lent credence to the idea of running for Governor of Alabama, stating:
      I'm serious. I've got to get people to realize that the government is full of it. Republicans and Democrats want to argue over stuff that's not important, like gay marriage or the war in Iraq or illegal immigration... When I run — if I run — we're going to talk about real issues like improving our schools, cleaning up our neighborhoods of drugs and crime and making Alabama a better place for all people.[68]

In September 2006, Barkley once again reiterated his desire to run for Governor. He noted, "I can't run until 2014 ... I have to live there for seven years, so I'm looking for a house there as we speak."[69] In July 2007, he made a video declaring his support for Barack Obama in the 2008 Presidential election.[70] In September 2007, during a broadcast on Monday Night Football, Barkley announced that he bought a house in Alabama to satisfy residency requirements for a 2014 campaign for governor. In addition, Barkley declared himself an Independent and not a Democrat as previously reported. "The Republicans are full of it," Barkley said, "The Democrats are a little less full of it."[69]
      In February 2008, Barkley announced that he would be running for Governor of Alabama in 2014 as an Independent. On October 27, 2008, he officially announced his candidacy for Governor of Alabama in an interview with CNN, stating that he planned to run in the 2014 election cycle,[5] but he began to back off the idea in a November 24, 2009 interview on The Jay Leno Show.[71] In 2010, he confirmed that he was not running in 2014.[6]

Barkley is an outspoken supporter of gay rights. In 2006, he told Fox Sports: "I'm a big advocate of gay marriage. If they want to get married, God bless them."[72] Speaking to Wolf Blitzer on CNN two years later, he said: "Every time I hear the word 'conservative,' it makes me sick to my stomach, because they're really just fake Christians, as I call them. That's all they are. ... I think they want to be judge and jury. Like, I'm for gay marriage. It's none of my business if gay people want to get married. I'm pro-choice. And I think these Christians, first of all, they're not supposed to judge other people. But they're the most hypocritical judge of people we have in the country. And it bugs the hell out of me. They act like they're Christians. They're not forgiving at all."[72] During a 2011 Martin Luther King, Jr. Day double-header on TNT, Barkley responded to a statement by Dr. King's daughter Bernice by saying, "People try to make it about black and white. [But] he talked about equality for every man, every woman. We have a thing going on now, people discriminating against homosexuality in this country. I love the homosexuality people. God bless the gay people. They are great people."[72]

"Empty vessels make the loudest sound, they have the least wit and are the greatest blabbers" Plato

by Empty Vessel on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:12:47 AM PDT

•  I thought he was going to run as a Dem? GWB drove (1+ / 0-)
      slippytoad

him away from the R's

Cubbies vs Rays in 2011 World Series! This is the YEAR for Cub's fans!!!

by surfdog on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:24:35 AM PDT

•  quoted article above (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

says he's an I.

Just in case you forgot today: REPUBLICANS VOTED TO END MEDICARE. AND THEY'LL DO IT AGAIN.

by slippytoad on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 09:42:37 AM PDT

•  Jesse "The Body" Barkley n/t (0+ / 0-)

by Seneca Doane on Fri Aug 05, 2011 at 07:02:53 PM PDT