View Diary: Pissed Off People Planning to Protest - October2011.org Led Protest. Can It Work? (99 comments)

•  Hmmm, (18+ / 0-)

two things gave me pause -- one is the one you mentioned.  Way too many issues.  I was part of two major movements -- anti-Vietnam Conflict and anti-nuke (I was too young at the height of the Civil Rights Movement.)  Each of the above were homogenous regarding the issue -- even though diverse in most other ways.  Even being totally focused and having rallies constantly, we didn't end the war until '75 and lost on the nuke issue.

I'm not saying that I think rallies are not effective -- I do and I'd like to see one massive one on the mall -- but focused.  Otherwise it becomes white noise and priorities are muddled.

My second problem with this rally is the whole -- well you said it better -- Hollywood feel.   Entertainment already booked -- speakers already booked.  I have an aversion to that kind of set up.  I remember when we protested ages ago -- we were there first and any musician who wanted to join us basically played his/her music on the grass in Lafayette Park with the rest of us.  No staging.

Sorry this is so long, but I liked your diary -- and your conundrum.

One question -- how does one get a bong on a plane?

Thanks.

Vi er alle norske " My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 10:18:57 PM PDT

•  Thanks much, good comment. It's the same feeling (10+ / 0-)

I've got.
      And I ain't flying!  (If I go) TSA has me freaked out so even though I live in Washington State, I won't get on a plane to D.C.  :)

S.A.W. 2011 STOP ALL WARS "The Global War on Terror is a fabrication to justify imperialism."

by BigAlinWashSt on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 10:30:58 PM PDT

•  That would be one hell of a drive. (4+ / 0-)
        BigAlinWashSt, poe, mama jo, Terra Mystica

But you could bring your own stash.  Honestly, this and the one Colbert/Stewart held are rallytainment.  I think the issues are great -- but we shouldn't need to have a rock concert to persuade us to mobilize.  And they may happen on local levels -- and simultaneously would be wonderful.

by gchaucer2 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 11:02:18 PM PDT

•  Good point. (2+ / 0-)
          gchaucer2, mama jo

by BigAlinWashSt on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 11:08:13 PM PDT

•  Might you be over-analyzing this? (7+ / 0-)

No offense intended but conditions for a massive protest like this are never going to be perfect. And no matter what, not everyone involved is going to agree on what issue is more important. They are all important but I think to make the choice easier, perhaps, they can be separated into two main categories.

One is antiwar/anti-imperialism and the other is pro-economic/social justice. The fight against both wars of aggression and inequality is imperative for a functioning democracy.

Subsequently, if you believe passionately in one or both of those issues, and you also believe urgency is indeed necessary -- then you should welcome such a semi-organized protest with open support.

And as far as the guest list is concerned: everyone needs to come together in these oppressive times. I don't think anyone who cares deeply for the welfare of this country and its citizenry should be left out of this protest.

Sure, the Republicans will try to make a big deal about some of the participants. But so what. They'd try to manipulate the media and marginalize the importance of this protest no matter who attended.

Just sayin'

"Corporations have neither bodies to kick nor souls to damn." -- Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the United States

by markthshark on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 02:28:47 AM PDT

•  Were it not for high profile attendees (3+ / 0-)

the media would completely ignore it and most people would never know it happened. High profile folk have "people" who will get it into the news. It's not how it should be, but it is what it is given the virtual media blackout of anything that's not Tea Party politics.

•  this rally is to broad to be successful (1+ / 0-)
              BigAlinWashSt

I was ready to sign up, Hubby said OK we'll go but then we read the list of participating orgs and changed our minds...   to may times, in the recent past, we have been burned by these overly broad events and ended up lending our bodies and voices to issues we do not agree with and we felt HIJACKED and used.

We have come to call these 'everything' demonstrations the 'free free palestine' rallies because sooner or later someone gets hold of the mic and the cameras and starts chanting FREE FREE PALESTINE and starts spewing invectives I DONT AGREE WITH and there are many others like me... and we get turned off and tuned out.

these everything rallies are like if you went to WI to support union rights and found out you were default supporting the right to kill puppies too.

WI has, so far, been successful because the demonstrations, protests and rallies were FOCUSED on an issue everyone agreed on....   but when I saw the list of participating groups for this upcoming march on DC I closed the website.

I cant push this rally to my friends ...   they wouldnt be interested in going to an EVERYTHING demonstration.... they WOULD have been persuadable IF this was focused on a few issues but this is not going to be that kind of event...sadly.

"Orwell was an optimist"

by KnotIookin on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 06:48:39 AM PDT

•  Ok, I don't get it. I don't see a... (1+ / 0-)
                Terra Mystica

single issue (or demand) listed that does not reflect everyday core liberal policies.

As for the people expected to attend; read ChemBob's comment directly above yours.

Were it not for high profile attendees (3+ / 0-)

BigAlinWashSt, Regina in a Sears Kit House, markthshark

Environment
                Finance and the economy
                Media
                Food and water
                Transportation

Demands listed:

Tax the rich and corporations
                End the wars, bring the troops home, cut military spending
                Protect the social safety net, strengthen Social Security and improved Medicare for all
                End corporate welfare for oil companies and other big business interests
                Transition to a clean energy economy, reverse environmental degradation
                Protect worker rights including collective bargaining, create jobs and raise wages
                Get money out of politics

Listen, I'm not singling you out but it seems Americans can always find a reason to stay home. And, this is why the other side is winning this struggle for the very heart of this country right now.

I don't really like this quote but it kinda fits in this particular situation:

Don't allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

by markthshark on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 11:25:45 AM PDT

•  Most definitely. Over analysis over. (0+ / 0-)

After reading the comments and sleeping on it, I can see the light.
              Actually the dark.
              On to the next thing.

by BigAlinWashSt on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 09:24:14 AM PDT

•  agreed (3+ / 0-)

we don't need rock bands and celebrities. I'm fucking done with the 'revolution from above' crowd.

But the crew organizing this rally forgot the three major issues that are driving voter anger: jobs, wages and protecting homes from our predatory banking industry.

The fact that these three issues are missing from their agenda means they are as dialed out from reality as the useless trash that runs this country.

•  I'm Not Worried About the Fucking Bong (7+ / 0-)

how does one get what's in it?

I'm a grandmother, for god's sakes.  A law abiding citizen, times twenty at least.  Thank you very much.

But I do have my needs, and chocolate is not the preventative it once was.

•  Dude, (1+ / 0-)
      BigAlinWashSt

cough drop box, hersey's kisses wrappers, a pin.

Until we break the corporate virtual monopoly on what we hear and see, we keep losing, don't matter what we do.

by Jim P on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 11:59:37 PM PDT

•  lol, if it's the entertainment (2+ / 0-)

that you object to, we are really in trouble....

Please do not tell me you are involved by being a member of DK4....really get involved.... http://october2011.org/frontpage The goal is not to bring your adversaries to their knees but to their senses. -- Mahatma Gandhi

by Mindmover on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:46:58 AM PDT

•  actually not a hollywood feel ... (4+ / 0-)

only the names you recognise are the celebrities, obviously.

there are a lot of names on their list who are longtime committed movement activists; i was favorably impressed.

Vote GOP in 2012; let's prove the Mayans right!

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:58:59 AM PDT

•  To answer your last question see (0+ / 0-)

Harold and Kumar go to Guatanamo Bay.

•  Bong on a plane? You don't. (0+ / 0-)

Make friends with someone there and share. You have the smoke, I have the bong.

Earth first, without her there is no religion.

by PlanetTreasures on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 05:03:15 AM PDT

•  surprised to be agreeing with you, gc (2+ / 0-)
      BigAlinWashSt, gchaucer2

but I share the same concerns about dilution of message.

It is prolly a pipe dream on my part, but a joining of forces here could bring some legitimacy to both forces.  There is  some suspicion of the Van Jones effort being too establishment, thus, if they could join up with the earthier ANSWER (etc) forces and IF (huge IF) this combined effort could agree (heh) on a simple unified message, like economic justice for workers and the rest of the 98% who don't own it all (Where are the Jobs!)  , then I could see this as effective.

A REALLY big demonstration, backed by Labors' footsoldiers, with working American faces and not just us DFHs.  It means everyone taking a deep breath, stepping back a moment, and realizing that we're all on the same team, and that the myriad of legitimate but conflicting interests all crying out for attention need to ALL unify behind a simple and essential message that the MSM is capable of translating.

Like I said, a pipe dream.  I don't see this level of maturity out there, unfortunately.

don't always believe what you think...

by claude on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 06:31:48 AM PDT