View Diary: 45,000 Verizon Workers on Strike (135 comments)

•  I bought a Verizon phone and signed a (7+ / 0-)

contract. But the Verizon signal in my city was too weak; the reception was horrible. I tried for a week to find good hot spots, reset my antenna, etc. I called twice for advice, and the Verizon employees were able to do nothing. So, at the end of a week I asked to return my phone and get my money back. The helpful Verizon employee explained that my 72-hour return window had passed, and now I had to live up to my contract. So, I bought another phone from another carrier and told every Verizon employee who called my badgering me to pay my bills the story, and why I will never pay for something that doesn't work. They were to a man rude and unsympathetic to the situation at hand. Eventually, they turned my debt over to a collection agency and I was harrassed for years by different collectors before they all finally gave up.

I have no sympathy for the Verizon corporation or its employees. This is a bad company, and all who work there should have gotten out as soon as they realized what a scam it is.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 09:35:15 AM PDT

•  AT&T wireless is union. (9+ / 0-)

Verizon wireless is not. Maybe you shouldn't have signed up with service provided by scab labor. I have AT&T wireless and I love their service. I've been a happy customer for 15 years now.

•  If Verizon had unionized my signal (1+ / 0-)
        rebel ga

would have been better?

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 09:50:40 AM PDT

•  No. If they (9+ / 0-)

put up a tower in your area, your signal would have been better. Where I live, Verizon has great signal, while AT&T and Sprint suck big time.

These folks you say "should have gotten out" probably stuck around because they had families to provide for, a task made much easier when your job comes with good pay, health care, and a pension, all rare in today's banana republic economy.

In other words, their choices were to keep their good jobs, or go stock shelves at Walmart.

Not much of a choice...

"A lie is not the other side of a story; it's just a lie."

by happy camper on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 10:01:09 AM PDT

•  So they only had Walmart (1+ / 0-)
            DSC on the Plateau

as a job choice? For years and years. Okay, if that's what you really think. But Verizon is not an honest shop. If you go to work in a dishonest business, and voluntarily stay, then you are dishonest as well.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 10:04:37 AM PDT

•  Verizon and AT&T are equals when it comes to (2+ / 0-)
              farlefty, happy camper

customer service. In fact, most every survey rates Verizon better. Wow....

Sorry you had your problems.  Your anger is perfectly understandable.

Progress occurs when courageous, skillful leaders seize the opportunity to change things for the better. -- Harry S Truman

by YucatanMan on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 12:48:13 PM PDT

•  Actually it's not (1+ / 0-)
                happy camper

Blaming practices set down by management on the employees is really misplacing one's anger, IMHO.

BTW I am a retired telecom worker.

"Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it" Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada, part time vampire

by marigold on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 07:15:36 PM PDT

•  Come on (4+ / 0-)

UE 3 is at about 9.5% right now, and the real unemployment rate is probably much higher.  Even when we've had a "good" labor market in the past 30 years (only once, for a short time in the late 90s) could people be choosy about the job they had. I've had plenty of jobs I hated, for shitty companies, but I didn't have the luxury of telling them to go kiss my anticorporate ass.

Right now, people are lucky enough to have any job.  They have dependents to feed and obligations to meet.  It's not fair to blame people for taking whatever they can get for a job in an economy like this.

Shirley Chisholm was right. Our Republic is in deep trouble.

by Big River Bandido on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 05:13:39 PM PDT

•  Probably, Everthing Is Better When Unionized! n/t (6+ / 0-)

Brought To You By That Crazed Sociologist/Media Fanatic rebel ga Be The Change You Want To See In The World! Gandhi

by rebel ga on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 10:04:10 AM PDT

•  But AT&T does the same thing to their workers. (6+ / 0-)

Even though they are unionized, the same draconian cutbacks have happened at AT&T.

AT&T eliminated pensions altogether for new employees, cut health care benefits, cut vacation time... on and on...

Yet they can clearly afford to pay those benefits and wages. No real increases for years.  Probably not keeping even with inflation.  I'll have to check the wage tables to be sure, but the raises were minimal last time around.

And AT&T's union contract with the CWA comes up in 2012.  Brace for more chopping, even though various areas of cellular service are setting new records.

by YucatanMan on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 12:46:50 PM PDT