View Diary: 45,000 Verizon Workers on Strike (135 comments)

•  If I refused to cross, I would lose my job (0+ / 0-)

Is that what you want? You actually prefer I get fired and help contribute to the unemployment numbers?

You might think I'm some big shot manager bringing home six figures while screwing over the little guy, but I'm not. I'm  not unlike you. I'm by no means wealthy. I'm middle class, and bring home a salary that's good enough for me as a single, childless bachelor but would probably a bit tougher to live on if I had a family to raise. I don't manage union employees or work with them - my only interaction with union employees is as a customer, when I have a problem or question about my personal service and have to call in. I'm not at the negotiating table, I'm not calling the shots, I'm not deciding what you get and what you lose in the new contract.

You view me as an enemy of the telco unions, but I'm not. I'm just your average guy, with no control over the situation, doing what he's told to do so I can bring home a paycheck and pay the bills and make ends meet. The union and the non-union employees are on the same side. You don't think we've had our fair share of cuts? We've gone without raises, our health insurance premiums have gone up, we're always at risk of being laid off. The difference is, unlike you, we can't really do anything about it.

If you direct half the anger you display towards me and other non-union scabs doing it against our will as you do towards the big wigs calling the shots, you might get what you want in your contract. And I wish you the best of luck.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

by yg17 on Sun Aug 07, 2011 at 09:00:59 PM PDT

•  That's your choice (0+ / 0-)

And I'm not angry. You can choose to be a scab.

You can be greedy and ignore the larger picture.  You can steal someone's job - probably an average slob like you.  Now that worker who you replaced can't pay the bills or make ends meet.

All you've done is make the picture bleaker for every other worker in the country.  But, hey, at least you got yours!

Damn straight I'm Union. I climb poles and fix cable to unclog the tubes that bring you the internets. You're Welcome.

by norwood on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 07:39:50 AM PDT

•  So you want me to quit/get fired to benefit you (0+ / 0-)

That's what you're asking for, and that's not going to happen.

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

by yg17 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 08:32:56 AM PDT

•  That's what makes you a scab n/t (0+ / 0-)

by norwood on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 11:20:07 AM PDT

•  OK, whatever you say (0+ / 0-)

I guess all of us non-union guys being forced to do your jobs against our will will quit and go hungry. And then when there are none of us scabs, the company will cave in and give you everything you want. You got yours, so fuck the rest of us, right?

Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.

by yg17 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 11:35:16 AM PDT

•  Uh, no (0+ / 0-)

Not crossing a picket line is called solidarity.

By not crossing the picket line, by not stealing a job, you empower your fellow workers who are out fighting to save the middle class.  You cross my picket line today, then tomorrow someone hungrier than you will offer to do the same job for subsistence wages.

And if you refuse to cross the picket line, and the company does give us everything, then you have helped yourself in the process, because high paying union jobs exert upward pressure on everyone's wages.

So, you can contribute to the death of the middle class by being a scab or you can show solidarity with your fellow workers.  Your choice.

by norwood on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 10:24:45 PM PDT