View Diary: Great Job, Mr. President (102 comments)

•  You should be ashamed of yourself. (8+ / 0-)

They died from a Taliban bomb. The same Taliban that will remove every right from Afghan women, and kill all persons who violate any Islamic law, the moment we leave. The decision on when to get out of Afghanistan is a frustratingly difficult one, and your snarky retort shows that you have no appreciation of the difficult situation President Obama is in, nor of the fact that there are some very bad people over there.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 11:57:09 AM PDT

•  But the mission (3+ / 0-)
      IndieGuy, dnpvd0111, vacantlook

was to get OBL.

I don't think it's all to difficult - we could have troops there for a thousand more years and it's not going to change.  Different culture, different motivating forces, different everything.  Unfortunately - so many innocents get killed in the cross-fire.

It's time to pack our bags and get the hell out of there.

For the troops, for Afganistan, for all the parents of the soldiers, for our economy.....the list goes on.

The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only legitimate object of good government. - Thomas Jefferson

by ctexrep on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:12:11 PM PDT

•  Perhaps it is indeed time to get (0+ / 0-)

out of there. But anybody who thinks that such a decision is a "no-brainer" has no idea of how complicated geopolitics is. This is a VERY tough call, with long lists of positives and negatives associated with each path he can take. One thing I am confident in is that unlike Pres. Bush, Obama cares deeply about our soldiers and suffers greatly when we have casualties; these tragedies weigh heavily on him as he contemplates when we should get out. The snarky comments regarding this that get posted on this blog do a disservice to liberals everywhere.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:18:19 PM PDT

•  Last time I looked at a globe (0+ / 0-)

Afghanistan was clear on the other side of the world.

This is a no brainer.  What the heck are we doing over there?

There is a real crisis going on in Fukushima.  We need the resources that we are wasting on wars spent on cleaning up the mess in Japan.

•  A poll I saw recently taken of (0+ / 0-)

actual soldiers in the field showed overwhelming support for us staying in Afghanistan. It doesn't mean that they are necessarily right, but if the Americans on the ground there, with the most to lose, much more than you or I, say it is a good idea to stay, who are you to tell them it is a "no-brainer" that we pick up and leave? At least grant them that their view is worthy of serious consideration on our part.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 01:54:47 PM PDT

•  Shame? Obama escalated Afghanistan (1+ / 0-)
      IndieGuy

and you probably supported it.

Understatement of the week: "The White House doesn't create jobs." -- Jay Carney

by just some lurker guy on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:16:05 PM PDT

•  Obama spent thousands of hours (2+ / 0-)
        Vote4Obamain2012, cuphalffull

contemplating his escalation in Afghanistan; he held hundreds of meetings with military, intelligence, and diplomatic experts. I did not, so I never believed that I had nearly as informed an opinion as he had (plus, I am not nearly as smart as he is). And I believe that my limitations are shared by you and everyone else on this site. We elected Barack Obama to make this call, and I am satisfied that he did his duty in terms of taking a great deal of time in making it. That is why I support his decision. Now, if you think you are as smart as he is, and have the access he has to information and thus are as informed as he is, you may have standing to disagree with him on an equal footing. But is that really the case?

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:29:49 PM PDT

•  Thousands? (1+ / 0-)
          vacantlook

Assuming a 40-hour work week, with 52 weeks in a year, no vacations or meetings with non-DoD people, and no time to take a crap - that's 2,080 hours in a year.  If he does none of that other stuff.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage." - Confucius

by IndieGuy on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:39:31 PM PDT

•  I would include the hours (1+ / 0-)
            Vote4Obamain2012

he spent in the senate and in contemplation of becoming president. But nit-pick the numbers and ignore the point, it shows me that you have no real comeback to it.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:45:56 PM PDT

•  Nit-pick hyperbole? That's bad, how? (1+ / 0-)
              BentLiberal

Basically, you're making things up to support an indefensible position.

We need to leave Afghanistan.  And Iraq.  Now.

by IndieGuy on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:49:12 PM PDT

•  And if you were elected president, you (1+ / 0-)
                cuphalffull

could decide that. Though I'd hope that you'd first spend some time getting some real information from our Dept's of Defense, the CIA, State, etc. before cavalierly deciding what is right.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 12:51:49 PM PDT

•  My friend, I feel very comfortable in saying... (0+ / 0-)

...I know one hell of a lot more on this subject than you do, or that you're ever likely to know.

by IndieGuy on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 01:05:19 PM PDT

•  Perhaps. Who knows? (0+ / 0-)

But what you fail to grasp is that it doesn't matter if one guy on the internets knows more than another. What matters is whether or not you know as much as Barack Obama. Are you as smart as him? No (sorry, but you are not). Have you spent as much time in deep thought on this as he has? No. Do you have access to anything like how much inside information he has? No.

Three strikes, you're out. Whether you know more than I do is irrelevant.

I'm in the I-fucking-love-this-guy wing of the Democratic Party!

by doc2 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 01:09:54 PM PDT

•  You're assuming he has actually spent time... (0+ / 0-)

...in deep thought on the matter.  Like I said, you're making shit up in order to defend the indefensible.

Have a good day now.  I'm done wasting pixels on you after that stupid-as-shit comment below about Klansmen.  (Spelled with a "K," by the way, not a "c."  Stupid as shit in more ways that one, as it happens.)

by IndieGuy on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 01:15:49 PM PDT

•  Who gives a shit how many hours? (4+ / 0-)
          IndieGuy, vacantlook, PhilK, schumann

He's failed miserably and gotten a lot of people killed for nothing.  He has no fucking clue why we're there.

If you think he does, link me up to an explanation from him.

I didn't care for math, but when I first understood the concept of finding the slope of a curve at a point, I wanted to grab the first girl I saw and kiss her with wild abandon, just like in that WW II photo.

by dov12348 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 at 01:00:18 PM PDT

•  Bring them home. Problem solved. (2+ / 0-)
      vacantlook, tmo

And this comes from a guy who spent 27 years in uniform, and who has been to both Iraq and Afthanistan.

Bring them home.