View Diary: Who Snubbed Jesse Owens, Franklin Delano Roosevelt or Adolf Hitler? (242 comments)

•  But many who today use FDR as a weapon against (12+ / 0-)

other presidents, would've decried such behavior as "caving" back in FDR's time.

•  FDR did cave, a number of times, (9+ / 0-)

But he also fought viciously.  He had a lot of smarts when it came to politics, he also had a Left that was far more radicalized holding his feet to the fire.  Most people fail to realize that the quote about "make me do it" had nothing to do with calling congress critters or writing letters to the editor.  It meant getting people out in the street, it meant giving him political cover to do the things he wanted.  I think that's what people lose sight of when they blame Obama for caving or being a weak president.  FDR did what he did because he was pushed and didn't want a revolution, and at the time a revolution was immanently possible.

Obama has no radical left pushing him, and has to deal with the fact that being angry in public will just get him painted as an angry black man by large swathes of the public.  I think a lot of the criticism of Obama fails to realize this, especially when they call for him to get serious or mean or whatever.

I refuse to represent my political beliefs using numbers. It isn't accurate, nor is it helpful. But I'm around a -10 on both scales.

by AoT on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:03:58 PM PDT

•  Excuse my french... (24+ / 0-)

but my black a## can't take a more radicalized left that takes the all or nothing approach.  Who deems it okay to paint a black man in all kinds of racist memes, which has an impact on me and mine cuz I have to deal with the fall-out of being deemed unworthy, untrustworthy, dishonest, naieve, stupid, not really a Dem, not really an American, Manchurian Candidate, etc. etc.

A more radical left will leave my a## where it left my black ancestors during FDRs time, on their damn own.  True then and true now.

I for one am tired of pandering to perpetrators --- many of whom are opposed to any discussion however it comes. -- soothsayer99 DPK Caucus

by princss6 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:10:13 PM PDT

•  I wish you weren't right (8+ / 0-)

I certainly don't think it's OK that people paint the president with racist memes, but it will happen, and you know he is aware of that.

Unfortunately, with the radical left we've got right now this is completely true.  There's a lot of talk about inclusion and intersectionality among white radicals, but when it comes down to it it's talk and not action.  There are very few issues that the white radical left pays attention to than involve people of color other than as some after thought to get people of color on their side.

It reminds me of how here in Oakland there were a bunch of white radicals rioting in the streets after the Oscar Grant murder along with people of color.  In one way it could be seen as solidarity, but who do you think got in more trouble?  I think we all know.

by AoT on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:34:41 PM PDT

•  Radical left ROFL (2+ / 0-)
            IndieGuy, metal prophet

Please show us the radical left in the US. I noticed the only other people who rail about some mythical radical left are teabaggers who troll liberal sites.

"You have to understand Neo, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged, and many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it." Morpheus - The Matrix

by pot on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:51:22 PM PDT

•  I'm a part of the radical left (3+ / 0-)
              Marie, Christin, Yasuragi

We were the ones that shut down the WTO in Seattle.  We were the ones that shut down San Francisco when the war in Iraq started.  We do exist, however small we may be.  I do understand your view on the matter given how little you hear of us until there is a protest of some sort, but I do guarantee we are here.

by AoT on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:54:59 PM PDT

•  That makes some sense about the protests... (0+ / 0-)

I do find it funny how the conservatives think there is some huge block of radical leftists in this country. Even most socialists are not radicals these days. And anarchists seem to be almost all but gone. Do you think the radical left could make a comeback with all the austerity going on? And the crisis of capitalism these days?

by pot on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:03:40 PM PDT

•  You're wrong about the Anarchists (1+ / 0-)
                  sberel

They are the fastest growing group on the radical left right now.  Mainly because they are the ones who appear in the media the most and because they seem to be the only alternative that hasn't been tried.  Also because the Anarchist style of organizing is the least susceptible to being shut down by the government.

by AoT on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:17:55 PM PDT

•  Excuse me -- but a "whites only" clause was not (2+ / 0-)
          radmul, pot

included in Social Security, minimum wage, unemployment insurance, and child labor laws.

•  Yes... (11+ / 0-)

colorblind racism was in full effect then and now...let me introduce you to the concept of disparate impact.

by princss6 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:41:28 PM PDT

•  Excuse you (11+ / 0-)

But social security was purposefully written to exclude the professions ihhabited by people of color and those sweet little government protections are still not afforded to us by a racist infrastructure.

"I honor the place in you where Spirit lives I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Truth, of Light, of Peace, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, then we are One." Namaste friends!

by Adept2u on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 03:42:11 PM PDT

•  And Barack Obama has proposed to (2+ / 0-)
              3goldens, Shahryar

correct those injustices?  Who the fuck do you think will get hurt harder by his call to cut "entitlements?"

And do tell us all what economic and social injustices Hoover, Ike, Nixon, Reagan, etc. removed.

Finally, your constant need to praise a Black POTUS promoting economic, social and world relations policies that are a hybrid of Hoover, Reagan, and GWB and denigrate a POTUS from over over sixty years ago who initiated a political party that sought to create greater equality in this country is disgusting.

•  Insurance companies (7+ / 0-)

You people are so uninformed as to be painful.

Did you know that agents like myself got 250 bucks an application for taking medicare D apps?  Do you imagine there might be some savings to be had?

This President isn't the one who put shit on the table, every politician in Washington on both sides of the aisle are discussing making adjustments to entitlements, I just wish the children on both sides would sit down and shut up.

by Adept2u on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:42:30 PM PDT

•  I said this a little while ago... (13+ / 0-)
                Here is a sticking point for me... (23+ / 0-)

When we delude ourselves into believing that as long as the social safety net holds are presently constituted, it is easy to ignore a few things...

1) the life expectancy of blacks
                2) the joblessness of blacks

So let's look at SS.  If our energies are entirely focused on preserving SS, the elephant in the room that Blacks have a lower likelihood of ever cashing in on SS and because of job discrimination, our benefits will be among the lowest payed out for the least amount of time because of racism in health service delivery.

Now, I guess some can be generous and overlook these realities.  I don't and do see them as self-serving and based on white supremacy.

by princss6 on Thu Aug 04, 2011 at 02:37:53 PM EDT

There are a lot of things this President has done to help AAs.  But you kinda have to read the Afrosphere or have an understanding of the fundamental difference in our experiences and life vs. the default white experiences.  From Pell Grants, to ACA to DADT (where African American women were most impacted by getting kicked out because of racist archetypical memes about black women and feminity), etc. ACA has so much to help AAs.  Legislation has nothing on white supremacy and racism though because race neutral laws are put in place and implemented in the most race conscious ways imaginable.

So I wish you would listen to what many AAs are saying here.  It isn't just about your issues and what is most important to you.  We have other considerations, mainly racism, that many of you do not have to even consider or ponder for one day, let alone a second of your life.  That racism impacts how, if and when AAs can ever access this vaunted safety net that we are supposed to betray the President over is just fantasy and folly.  It ain't happening.

by princss6 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:55:33 PM PDT

•  The best comment ever! (5+ / 0-)

"Because I am a river to my people."

by lordcopper on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 06:48:45 PM PDT

•  Right now.... (0+ / 0-)

....he can just dismiss us as angry buzzing on blogs and nothing more. But, if there was rioting in the streets, that would give him cover to move more to the left while still looking moderate and reasonable.