View Diary: Who Snubbed Jesse Owens, Franklin Delano Roosevelt or Adolf Hitler? (242 comments)

•  No actually I didn't mention that in my diary (7+ / 0-)

What I mentioned in my diary is what Jesse Owens said.  I tell you what, you find me a picture of Black Olympians and FDR and I'll concede the point.

"I honor the place in you where Spirit lives I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Truth, of Light, of Peace, when you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, then we are One." Namaste friends!

by Adept2u on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:11:06 PM PDT

•  It's your claim...you prove it (2+ / 0-)
      pot, JesseCW

Plus, you still don't get the point.  If FDR met with, or congratulated, white Olympians, then he snubbed Owens because of his race.  If FDR met with black Olympians, but not Owens, that might prove that he snubbed Owens, but not because of his race.

"Well, I'm sure I'd feel much worse if I weren't under such heavy sedation..."--David St. Hubbins

by Old Left Good Left on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:16:18 PM PDT

•  Well you know what (8+ / 0-)

I think I'll be able to sleep tonight with that claim as unproven in your eyes.  It is not at all surprising to me and does not require proof.  FDR was the same President that put Japanese in concentration camps, refused to meet with Jewish Rabbis pleading for their peoples lives and allowed vicious race riots all across this country.  Jesse Owens was the one who said that FDR snubbed him, and if you don't think it was because of his race, maybe you can tell me another reason he should have been ignored.  Eisenhower remembered him.

by Adept2u on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:26:47 PM PDT

•  You are reality challenged (1+ / 0-)
          pot

Sleep well in your ignorant bliss.

by Old Left Good Left on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 04:28:26 PM PDT

•  Why yes (6+ / 0-)

Your reality has nothing to do with mine.  In yours you require proof of what is self evident to me.  Thanks for the well wishes on my slumber I will.

by Adept2u on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 05:03:59 PM PDT

•  Must be wonderful (3+ / 0-)
              pot, JesseCW, bronte17

to just make up your facts.  Saves time and effort, I'm sure.

by Old Left Good Left on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 05:33:41 PM PDT

•  Oh you're calling me a liar (8+ / 0-)

So do you think I made up the wiki page that you called unsourced?

by Adept2u on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 06:16:47 PM PDT

•  Here is another source that supports you (6+ / 0-)

This is from the U.K. Daily Mail:

'After all those stories about Hitler and his snub, I came back to my native country and I couldn't ride in the front of the bus,' Owens recalled. 'I had to go to the back door. I couldn't live where I wanted. Now what's the difference?'

Owens was given a tickertape parade in New York. But when he arrived at the Waldorf Astoria hotel for a reception in his honour, he was instructed to take the service lift rather than the normal guest lift, which was reserved for whites.

President Franklin Roosevelt never congratulated Owens or invited him to the White House. 'Hitler didn't snub me -it was FDR who snubbed me,' Owens said.

Here is the link to the Daily Mail article.  It has other stories of the numerous indignities heaped upon Jessie Owens upon his return to the U.S.

It Was America That Snubbed Jessie Owens - U.K. Daily Mail

•  You guys really should NOT pull your facts (0+ / 0-)

from the friggin' Daily Mail. How many times does it have to be said?

That is a conservative rag worth no more than using for a bird cage liner.

They post that shit simply to get the reaction that they got from Adept2u who takes it as the gospel and then does hit jobs on liberals and gets the hate on against progressives.

The true way is along a rope that is not spanned high in the air, but only just above the ground. It seems intended more to cause stumbling than to be walked upon. --Franz Kafka

by bronte17 on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 12:38:14 PM PDT

•  There is no quesion that Owens was snubbed (0+ / 0-)

The question is whether he was snubbed by FDR because of his race.

So unless FDR was controlling the Waldorf Astoria, the Daily Mail article is irrelevant and adds nothing.

by Old Left Good Left on Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 08:11:49 AM PDT

•  Do you really think that the President didn't (4+ / 0-)
        Adept2u, conlakappa, Yasuragi, sberel

meet with any of the victorious Olympians?  Is that reasonable at all to assume?  If I told you that President Clinton came to my high school and didn't meet with me would you assume that I was lying about him coming to my high school?  I doubt I can find accounts of it in the press.  If you have access to some resource I don't, I.E. Nexus/Lexus, then it would be great if you could do a quick search on the president meeting Olympians in 1936.

I refuse to represent my political beliefs using numbers. It isn't accurate, nor is it helpful. But I'm around a -10 on both scales.

by AoT on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 06:05:05 PM PDT

•  What are you finding so hard to believe? (5+ / 0-)

FDR - despite the attempt to make him a saint, Che Guevara and John Brown all in one -  was a man of his times, and a very flawed one at that.
          In those times black people were just barely human in the eyes of the majority community.
          FDR did not meet with Jesse Owens and it should be very easy for you to confirm that fact.

Obama/Biden 2012!

by JoanMar on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 09:00:12 PM PDT

•  I'm not the one that finds it hard to believe (3+ / 0-)
            Adept2u, sberel, JoanMar

I guess this thread is a bit confusing, or you just replied to the wrong comment.  Someone was trying to claim that there was no proof that FDR met with any of the Olympians, which is a bit hard to believe.

by AoT on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 07:59:16 AM PDT