View Diary: I am not a fan of President Obama (201 comments)

•  Try checking out the picture diaries. (1+ / 0-)
    nippersdad

Total content-free fan club gush.

"Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage." - Confucius

by IndieGuy on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 08:17:10 PM PDT

•  And that makes anyone who supports Obama (28+ / 0-)

a "fan"?  Sorry, but I don't buy that.

That's like generalizing that anyone who calls themselves a "Christian" is a mindless follower of the televangelists out stealing money from old people.  It's a stereotype, and is often not the case.

-4.75, -5.33 Cheney 10/05/04: "I have not suggested there is a connection between Iraq and 9/11."

by sunbro on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 08:21:20 PM PDT

•  Sorry, it goes both ways. (1+ / 0-)
        Sylv

It's like generalizing everybody who disagrees with Obama as a hater or a racist.  I don't see the diarist complaining about that, so I have just about zero concern for his hurt feelings over the word, "fan."

by IndieGuy on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 08:32:44 PM PDT

•  Look (6+ / 0-)

he doesn't like "fan".  Fair enough I won't use it in future.   Then I will be in even a stronger position slamming Obama supporters for their abominable rhetoric when it happens

Inthink we should treat others as we know is respectful upon reflection.  This us in large part because being respectful makes us better people

Intelligent, passionate, perceptive people will always disagree, but we should not let that disagreement, however heartfelt, lead us to become deaf to those better angels of our nature.

by Mindful Nature on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 08:58:01 PM PDT

•  Of course it goes both ways. (1+ / 0-)
          Sylv

But this diary isn't about both.

"Okay, until next time. Keep sending me your questions, and I will make fun of you... I mean, answer them." - Strong Bad

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 10:30:43 PM PDT

•  Not over policy disagreements (0+ / 0-)

I don't consider those who have policy disagreements to be haters or racist.  But it is difficult when I encounter the level of vitriol and name calling referring to the President in some diaries here.  There is a distinction between the articulation of policy disagreements, which I also have and the hyperbole that some engage in.  It is hard not to see those engaging in extreme hyperbole as being haters. YMMV

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe. - MB

by Sylv on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 09:35:40 AM PDT

•  Fair enough. (0+ / 0-)

The problem comes in when Obama's unwavering supporters deliberately fail to make the distinction between policy criticism and hyperbole.  That happens all the time, and I don't see this diarist complaining about it.  Hence my complete lack of concern for his hurt feelings over the word "fan."

by IndieGuy on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 10:18:51 AM PDT

•  You will note, however, that only mindless (1+ / 0-)
        COBALT1928

followers of televangelistic types go around calling attention to their Christianity. True Christians, who have actually read the stuff in red, know that Christ has something to say about that type of behavior.

He was less than impressed with those who trumpeted their religion to the exclusion of actually practicing it.

•  what is wrong with being a fan (2+ / 0-)
        jan4insight, Sylv

of the President?  Why is that term so bad if someone supports the President vigorously?

When did the term 'fan' become an insult?

"But once John Boehner is sworn in as Speaker, then he’s going to have responsibilities to govern. You can’t just stand on the sidelines and be a bomb thrower." - President Obama, 12-07-2010

by justmy2 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 09:00:19 PM PDT

•  The picture diaries are consistently full of info. (7+ / 0-)

Much more than the "I'm feeling lots feelings about Barack Obama" diaries, they typically contain multiple links to relevant and new information.

But you just don't even notice that, whether they do or don't.  That's just not something that matters.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 09:11:00 PM PDT

•  Nonsense. (0+ / 0-)

The picture diaries are full of hero-worshiping treacle.  With links to more hero-worshiping treacle.  You can't read the comments without a napkin.

by IndieGuy on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 07:40:51 AM PDT

•  Thank you for making my point. (1+ / 0-)
          evergreen2

You clearly have never bothered to actually read them, or the links, beyond noting that they aren't on your side of the pie fight.

Art is the handmaid of human good.

by joe from Lowell on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 09:10:29 AM PDT

•  I have not made your point, because your point... (0+ / 0-)

...is based on a false assumption.

I have read the picture diaries.  That is why I avoid them.  Having read them, I am speaking from knowledge.  IOW, you have no point.

by IndieGuy on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 10:53:54 AM PDT

•  Photos are NOT content-free gushing! (15+ / 0-)

I'm sorry, but I'm an accomplished journalism photographer and I take offense to your characterization of photography. Some of my old professors would tear your comment to shreds.

The photos of Obama reveal who he is. Much like the photos of Bush reveal who he is....MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ring any bells?

Frankly, I think people who dislike photos of Obama are people who don't like him and just flat-out resent the fact that his photos show his humanity. They don't want him to have all the qualities that appear on film ----- they want to paint a different picture of him. They're trying to distort reality, and photos have a knack for shattering mythology.

I don't agree with all the decisions Obama has made, but I refuse to deny his basic goodness and warmth (that comes through so boldly in images) by dissing photos.

He's not perfect and has made mistakes, but I believe he is a good man and the photos reveal (to me, anyway) that he shares many of my values.

(Yeah, yeah, I know nobody uses film anymore. I do.)

P042911PS-0456
      P052911PS-0519
      The two photos above are in Joplin after the tornado.

USA-POLITICS/OBAMA

Kissing Babies
      Obama with Kossacks: Above is Kossack YesWeKen’s daughter.

Obama 2008

The future isn't what it used to be. ~George Carlin

by Eileen B on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 09:38:21 PM PDT

•  I understand that there is a showing of the (4+ / 0-)

effects of drone bombing in Afghanistan and Pakistqan at a fashionable London Gallery right now. Curiously, I doubt that any of the "humanity" shown by those actions of this President will ever feature in a picture diary here.

What's up with that? Sounds a little "fair and balanced" to me.

•  So, is your diary hand broken? (11+ / 0-)

You're insulting me with Fox News wisecracks about something YOU could be doing right now instead of....insulting me with Fox News wisecracks?

This is what the diarist is talking about. Stop insulting people who show support for Obama. If you've got something to say, freaking say it!

The future isn't what it used to be. ~George Carlin

by Eileen B on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 09:58:39 PM PDT

•  Well, not being an accomplished journalism (3+ / 0-)
            Situational Lefty, DeadHead, IndieGuy

photographer, nor even an accomplished computer user, I would have real difficulties in producing such a diary. So, the question remains: Why have y'all thus far limited yourself to the heartwarming stories when there are other other stories full of content gushing all over walls and pavements in the middle east? Or pictures of people starving on the streets here as a result of this President's policies.

Why do those never seem to make it onto your priorities list? Not an insult, merely an observation.

•  Well, perhaps.... (5+ / 0-)

people diary whatever they want to.

I don't do photo diaries of Obama - or anything else - unless there's an event that grabs my attention. For example, I posted a series of 9/11 photos when Bin Laden was killed.

Dusty_flags_Ralph_Loren

But, frankly, I think people post photos of Obama here to counteract all the seething hatred. This website is full of people attacking Obama mercilessly. Every day. All day! So much so, the one person who posted frequent Obama photo diaries started her own blog and swore never to return here.

The diarists who post photos probably want to interject something positive into the stream of angry criticism.

The future isn't what it used to be. ~George Carlin

by Eileen B on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 10:32:59 PM PDT

•  Precisely! (2+ / 0-)
                DeadHead, IndieGuy

"People diary whatever they want to."

Those who do picture diaries limit themselves to happy stories, choosing to blithely ignore that which will not fit their preconceived story line. As an "accomplished journalist", you know very well that that is the definition of propaganda. You admit here that they are meant as a counteraction to opposing views. Honesty demands that you admit what you engaged in with your diary is sheer jingoistic propaganda.

Do you know why those people hi-jacked those jets on 9/11? Did you read the report which told the stories that motivated them? Is it not illegal to shoot political adversaries in the head and throw them overboard rather than try them? Wasn't it Reagan, apparently O's hero, that signed those laws which made torture and assassination illegal?

You cannot bitch about the actions of others when you admit so openly that your work is subject to adverse criticism itself. Calling the criticisms of others "seething hatred" merely because they have other priorities that you have elected not to acknowledge honestly would not have made your professor any happier than would the statement which initially provoked your ire.

•  Pft. (2+ / 0-)
                  Delilah, voracious

So, now you think every diary must include the entire history of the world or it's "blithely ignoring" something YOU (not the diarist!) care about.

Please!!! That's the most absurd argument I've ever heard.

I'm done arguing with you. Goodnight.

The future isn't what it used to be. ~George Carlin

by Eileen B on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 10:55:22 PM PDT

•  No, but they must acknowledge reality (1+ / 0-)
                    IndieGuy

or face the inevitable charge of being "fair and balanced" journalism. See how that works?

If you don't give a shit about the views of others, why should they then give a damn about your flimsy attempts to obscure the issues they care about?

•  (ok, one more point.) (1+ / 0-)
                  Sylv

It's not propaganda and it's so NOT journalism. People writing blog posts are not journalists. They're just people writing blogs.

Kos diarists have zero obligation to be "balanced." Zip. Ziltch. Nada. Asserting they're unbalanced is ridiculous.

If Barack Obama himself (or his employees) were publishing these diaries here on Kos, then maybe you could call it propaganda. It's not.

The future isn't what it used to be. ~George Carlin

by Eileen B on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 11:19:17 PM PDT

•  I see more and better journalism here on DK (1+ / 0-)
                    IndieGuy

and other blogs every day than in what is considered the main stream media. You may remember that it was "journalists" from places like the NYT that got us into the wars that you refuse to show us photographs of lest it be a buzzkill for the cheerleaders.

One needn't be a part of the "Professional Left" to see what is happening every day and report on it, just as we see "professional photographic journalists" lauding illegal acts in blatant attempts at propaganda in professional outlets every day of the week. You need to look the word up, you are using an unnaturally limited definition of it.

•  Wow. (0+ / 0-)

You're certifiable.

"You may remember that it was "journalists" from places like the NYT that got us into the wars that you refuse to show us photographs of.... "

Now, it's me? I'm refusing to show photographs? I'm refusing to show photographs where, exactly? What photographs? You imagine I (or anyone who blogs here!) have a secret stash of photos we're hiding from you?

You hold random, unknown bloggers responsible for not publishing photos you want to see, where you want to see them? You're demanding The Internet know and abide by your biases?

Your totally fucking insane accusations do nothing but prove my points.

I demand you publish ten pages of the words "Chocolate RULES!" or I'm going to throw a nippersdad-style temper tantrum.

The future isn't what it used to be. ~George Carlin

by Eileen B on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 12:47:03 AM PDT

•  Struck a nerve, didn't I? (0+ / 0-)

Pictures of a politician holding babies and hugging old ladies.  Never seen that before.

Pictures of Obama looking like a leader.  Maybe he should try acting like one.

Like I said - content-free.

by IndieGuy on Sun Aug 14, 2011 at 07:45:10 AM PDT

•  I trust you avoid such diaries. n/t (0+ / 0-)

by AaronInSanDiego on Sat Aug 13, 2011 at 10:29:34 PM PDT