View Diary: Dear White Progressives: (344 comments)

•  A. I'm white; (19+ / 0-)

B.  I'm a Progressive;

C.  All Progressives do not fall into a neat category;

D.  The last time I thought about Obama's race was November 2009;

E.  This diary is offensive; and

F.  Many comments herein are offensive as well.

It would be lovely if folks would exert as much energy as they do hating/loving the current President on local candidates and issues.  E.g.  concerted effort by the LGBT community and their supporters put the repeal of DADT back on the table last December.  Lots of folks, Badgers and non-Badgers phone-banked and canvassed to get two seats in WI and hopefully will be instrumental in retaining two seats tomorrow night.

Vi er alle norske " My faith in the Constitution is whole; it is complete; it is total." Barbara Jordan, 1974

by gchaucer2 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 04:20:29 PM PDT

•  Stop being rational! (5+ / 0-)

That has no place here!

Nothing brings people together more than mutual hatred.

by Hannibal on Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 04:37:23 PM PDT

•  local candiates & issues = leave POTUS alooone (4+ / 0-)

He's the most powerful person in the world.  He's still going to be POTUS and leader of the party for the next year and a half at least.

He's got a (D) next to his name. How many Ds and how many Rs next to his policies? - Jim P

by Uberbah on Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 04:46:28 PM PDT

•  Yes, but those who defend racist epithets.... (6+ / 0-)

...against him aren't furthering ANY  progressive cause. And Uberbah commenting in a diary about race is like leaving King Herod in charge of childcare.

First word of advice: There are a million other  ways you can bash Obama without engaging in the race issue.

Second word of advice: Take first word.

"It is only for the sake of those without hope that hope is given to us." Walter Benjamin. More sane debate on the Moose

by Brit on Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 05:13:37 PM PDT

•  Yes, what about this straw man you're attacking? (4+ / 0-)
          Yes, but those who defend racist epithets

Never happened.

See above.

You don't have an argument, you have a narrative designed  to either intimidate and silence, or bait people into lashing out.  And your narratives have a slight factual problem when anyone checks out what was actually said by actual people.

Too bad none of that is going to work.

by Uberbah on Tue Aug 16, 2011 at 09:50:17 AM PDT

•  I am sorry if my perspective offends you. Welcome (1+ / 0-)
      mallyroyal

to my world.

You'll get over it.

•  On the day DADT was finally made law. As i read (3+ / 0-)

the comments, i noticed out of the first 130, only 3 mentioned Obama's freaking name. One of the 3 was me. Then i came back and the same pattern. They gave everyone credit but president Obama. One would think another invisible president was responsible for DADT, even being law and not still a pipe dream if not for Obama. What's with that, huh? People need to start looking closer. People like myself who has over 60 years experience with racism and biases in Mississippi and this country, must not know what the hell i am talking about. It's clear to me.

•  Perhaps it was because (0+ / 0-)

he was a bystander and not a participant.  He doesn't get to take credit for other people's work.  In campaign mode he is a firebrand.  In governing mode he is usually a spectator.

Sarcasm. Just one more service I provide.

by Grannus on Tue Aug 16, 2011 at 06:38:32 AM PDT

•  You're kidding about this right? (2+ / 0-)
          Nashville fan, Wordsinthewind

President Obama put repeal of DADT on his agenda.  It wouldn't have COME UP as an issue before Congress if he hadn't put it on his agenda and campaigned for repeal.  People dismissed him because it didn't happen on their timetable and in the way they wanted it to happen, completely ignoring the politcal realities and the limb he stepped out on by addressing this as an agenda item for his first term.  And when it was repealed by Congress, all he got from prominent people on this site was grudging "approval."  Where was the public outrage at President Bush and Congress during the Bush years when repeal wasn't even on the table.  Why attack the only president willing to address repeal because it didn't happen when you wanted when we had almost 20 years of the issue being thrown under the rug?  The lack of perspective when it comes to this guy is what gets me pissed.

"The struggle against power 'is the struggle of memory against forgetting.'" -Milan Kundera via Bill Moyers

by Imhotepsings on Tue Aug 16, 2011 at 10:09:46 AM PDT

•  I'm not kidding. (0+ / 0-)

He put a lot of things on his agenda.  The slightest push-back would cause him to abandon them.  The exception was HCR, but he still managed to get nothing close to what he campaigned for and strung it out over a year longer than need be because he wanted to be fair to those who wanted to destroy it completely.

The diarist slams "white progressives" for not getting on board the love boat.  We were there.  We got put in the life boat and told to make do.  If Hillary Clinton had put forth the agenda he has, we would be hearing that we were misogynistic.  Because he is black, we hear that we are racist.

He is my President, not my idol.  When he does good, I applaud.  When he does bad, I call him on it.  His skin color has no bearing on how I act.  My skin color has no bearing on how I act.  The policies have a bearing on how I act.

He is now back in campaign mode, and the rhetoric has gotten sharp again, not conciliatory.  It's not hard to notice the difference if you just take off the rose colored glasses.

Sarcasm. Just one more service I provide.

by Grannus on Tue Aug 16, 2011 at 01:50:35 PM PDT

• Barack Obama (30)
  • Iraq (30)
  • Jeb Bush (30)
  • Law (29)
  • Climate Change (29)
  • Culture (28)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (27)
  • Civil Rights (26)
  • Labor (21)
  • Economy (21)
  • LGBT (17)
  • Science (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site