View Diary: Cenk Uygur Has a Tree in His Head (178 comments)

•  I have a serious question for you. (22+ / 0-)

Why did you name your company GameChangers, LLC when you seem to be enthusiastically supporting the status quo?

Also, this

So is John Boehner and all the Weeping Willows who have jumped on the 'Obama--I'm so disappointed' bandwagon like spoiled brats who are bored with their new toys before Christmas Day has even ended.

is ironically myopic.

Obama would do well to understand that while democracy depends on intelligent compromise, it also depends on the ill-tempered gripers and groaners out in the street. -- Ta-Nehisi Coates

by Colorado is the Shiznit on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 10:11:48 PM PDT

•  what makes you think... (8+ / 0-)

and what makes you think that Obama would not agree with the Coates quote? He's not stopping you from griping and groaning, is he? The point I'll make to you is that griping and groaning about someone you see on TV and your computer who's not griping and groaning enough for your taste, is a very circular path. it doesn't go anywhere.

I named my company GameChangers because we are all about griping and groaning, and changing the game. I also named it that bc 'game' is the central construct in the improvisation, on which all our work is based. See Spolin, Viola.

Today I was a speaker at the Sustainability & Energy Symposium at UCLA sponsored by Johnson Controls, Inc. The 120 attendees were from both the public and private sectors, and included representatives from GE, Toyota, the DoE, the City of L.A., the Sierra Club, the State of CA, the World Wildlife Fund, etc. etc.

Like others there from the private sector side, I griped at the public sector folks for not moving at a fast enough tempo to keep pace with the private sector.  I groaned about the Ron Finley story (see prev. posts). I cited Agile Development as the speed with which the software industry moves, and told them that this is a standard to which they should aspire, and that they were a long way from it. I compared them to a mule that was hitched to a thoroughbred. I let 'em have it. I used even used a profanity or two, which NEVER happens at these things.

There were real people in the room. I could do something about it. We could experience one another and share our stories directly.

Anybody who's barking about Obama's performance, imho, is expressing the level of intelligence of a dog barking at a TV. I mean...because you're not present, you're not seeing or experiencing it directly, are you?

Who did you gripe and groan to--in person--today, Shiz? About what?

Or did you spend the day barking at the TV? ; )

•  barking? (15+ / 0-)

beyond you're curious rhetorical choices, perhaps you should spend less time at seminars and more studying macroeconomics 101.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam (The cold passion for truth hunts in no pack. -Robinson Jeffers)

by Laurence Lewis on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 10:51:37 PM PDT

•  Well, you see, Bonifer, there's this marvelous (11+ / 0-)

technological advance in recent years called "the internet" (reputedly invented by Al Gore).

It allows individuals to have access to a vast array of information which they can digest and analyze, and, marvel of marvels, they then can share their thoughts and conclusions with millions of other people. If their analysis and conclusions are judged to have merit, there is the potential for influencing the narrative across the nation.

But, in your horse and buggy world, apparently the only valid method for influencing others is face-to-face, one-on-one (among a population of 300,000,000+).

Good luck with that.

Riddle me this: WHAT exactly would Obama lose if he were to forcefully and consistently advocate Keynesian solutions, REGARDLESS of the current impossibility of achieving Keynesian legislation?

by WisePiper on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 10:59:07 PM PDT

•  internet (9+ / 0-)

I produced the web site for the first Toy Story film and did all of Disney's feature film web sites for years, for films like The Lion King and Beauty and the Beast. A dozen years before that, I worked on the first TRON and wrote the book The Art of TRON. Today, I am helping a number of large organizations with social media and other online and mobile projects. My wife is one of the country's leading scholars on multimedia literacy. See, please don't denigrate me when it comes to understanding the metaverse, (un)WisePiper. I was, professionally speaking, born there, and know my way around it. For you to characterize my world as horse and buggy is just more proof that you critique people without having adequate information about them.

Face to face communication is more productive than virtual communication. Griping and groaning in person is far more effective than griping and groaning at a screen. Do you dispute that? Or do you need the neuroscience to back it up? Because it's out there...

As for Al Gore, I worked on his and Kevin Wall's Live Earth concerts for the environment in 2006-7, so I've got plenty of my own Al Gore sarcasm and don't need yours, thanks anyway.

And as to your riddle, my answer is: You tell me, and then neither of us will know ; )

•  Look, it's late, and I'm heading to bed. (4+ / 0-)

I will merely posit that there is intrinsic value in both meta and micro communications. None of us "barkers" imagine for one moment that the President himself is reading, let alone likely to be influenced by, our typed criticisms here. What we DO hope is that narratives born here in the blogosphere will gain purchase among the larger population, which then will result in more broadly voiced demands that ultimately WILL be heard within the D.C. bubble.

But, you know that.

by WisePiper on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 12:43:15 AM PDT

•  Well you sure are rude and self-important (0+ / 0-)

I found your diary rather interesting, but I don't think I'll become a follower.

Solely griping on-line probably isn't terribly productive. On the other hand, exchanging information and hammering out policy arguments provides many of us here with a solid foundation to go out into the world and be effective in those one on one interactions.

•  our loss, I guess (2+ / 0-)

is it on YouTube?

Open, but not gaping..

by sgary on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 11:28:54 PM PDT

•  What a drag (4+ / 0-)

you might consider backpacking in Europe for 6 months. Given obama's continuation of bush's policies, however, you might consider changing your game and stitching a Canadian flag to your pack. If u keep shooting the messenger, you're only setting yourself up for some deep hurt, old sport.

Directing the people powered movie starring Howard Dean and YOU!

by deantv on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 03:33:35 AM PDT

•  I didn't name a company of mine (2+ / 0-)
        esquimaux, sgary

after the Coates quote, but nice deflection there.

You would do well to remember that accusing me, or other women, of "barking" at anything is rather sexist and you should probably knock that shit right the fuck off.

In any case, I didn't watch TV yesterday, and I griped and groaned all day about the heat. (97 in Denver on September 1st? Really?) I also complained vehemently because I somehow lost $6 lotion on the way from the shopping cart at Target to my house. Goddamnit.

That name-dropping thing you keep doing may be feeding your ego, but it looks desperate on an internet website, so you may want to rethink that.

Cheers.

by Colorado is the Shiznit on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:00:38 AM PDT

•  barking = sexist? (1+ / 0-)
          malharden

i didn't know what your gender was, so for you to throw a perfectly harmless word like barking into angry feminist rhetoric says a lot about the shiznit

an internet website? well goddang, what they won't think of next, yee haw! Fern, get on in here, the internet has a website on it!

and seriously shiznit, my work history as it pertains to the internet is no brag, just fact. it's what i've done for a living, nothing more, nothing less. you challenge my professional skills, it's like challenging a doctor for being a quack...don't expect a non-response.

you threw a brickbat and you're complaining that whatever you hit with it reacts to getting hit with a brickbat? what undiscovered laws of physics do you operate under?

Hope you find the lotion.