View Diary: Leonard Peltier Thrown into Solitary (144 comments)

•  Every single DOJ employee in office in (0+ / 0-)

1975 has now retired, so you're arguing a version of institutional memory that conflicts with my own experience.

35 years down leaves room for alot of story that we see nothing about here, but who knows. I know that Mr. Peltier could lose an unwanted piece of foreign currency to avoid getting in trouble if he wanted to. We all knew that kind of shit before we finished orientation. I guarantee you that there's a story there (including the whole official version being fabricated).

"would have been out years ago" - Maybe. What is his actual sentence. Has he even been eligible for release? What has the Parole Commission done in this case and why? Parole guidelines specifically call for treating aiding and abetting the same as the completed act.

As for the electrified wire, I could believe that it wasn't even there easier than I could believe that Mr. Peltier knew nothing about it. In either event it had nothing to do with being a radio antennae.

And what's the story on the physical confrontation that drove Mr. Peltier oit of Leavenworth, and into Lewisburg?

When I read this I see almost nothing but questions, and almost no answers. (But it's tough for me to see how the guy has not already done his time.)

There can be no protection locally if we're content to ignore the fact that there are no controls globally.

by oldpotsmuggler on Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 06:19:20 PM PDT

•  He was beaten up and moved "for his own (3+ / 0-)
      geomoo, neroden, elwior

protection" was the story I read.

This above all: to thine own self be true...-WS

by Agathena on Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 08:20:02 PM PDT

•  Yeah, that's what I mean. More questions (3+ / 0-)
        neroden, elwior, Agathena

than answers. Because anyone who has ever been inside would like at that and say "boy, that could mean a hundred different things", including nothing. The government controls the narrative, and the details are at least as much in the details ommitted as in those included.

by oldpotsmuggler on Wed Aug 17, 2011 at 09:34:33 PM PDT

•  institutional memory (0+ / 0-)

it may conflict with your experience but the truth is I saw Puerto Rican brothers who had been in for thirty years still being punished for their attack on the WH. I saw BPP brothers being singled out after doing twenty years. I can see you think you're an expert on prison behavior but you seem to have missed a lot. Most prisoners like you are not doing time for political acts so their experiences are very different. The fact of what you call institutional memory is borne out by the show of force the FBI turned out for Peltiers parole hearing last year. Retired agents were joined by 20 something agents in lining up to testify against Leonard.

The political punishment of AIM members was strong while I was doing time, like I was held in Marion super max when I only had three years to go. Guards and prisoners alike were surprised that a short timer like me would be held in maximum isolation but the orders came from DC. Our folders are kept in DC and all decisions on our imprisonment is made by washington. It's called being red flagged.

If you really want answers to your rhetorical questions the diarist has provided links, there are TV documentary specials and movies also to fill you in more completly. In the end you'll find what I say is true because I was there during the FBI reign of terror and did the time for standing up against this government. Over the years Peltier has been tortured and harrassed for being a political prisoner and it still goes on today and will until he dies.

America could have chosen to be the worlds doctor, or grocer. We choose instead to be her policeman. pity

by cacamp on Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 09:25:22 AM PDT

•  No outsider trying to document the inside (0+ / 0-)

can ever really do the job because they've never really been there. I won't believe them regarding this story because I know that they don't know. On the other hand, you and I both know that Mr. Peltier was absolutely responsible for what he did with any contraband currency (if he actually ever did anything) and for any alterations to the wiring of the cell (if there really were any). Those are standard rules that both sides definitely understand.

As for your situation, yeah, whatever you say. Except that you're trying to make it sound like you walked in the shoes of Mr. Peltier, and that's clearly not true, or you and he would clearly still be walking in lockstep.

As for where I was at, and what I did there, and what I did to get there, you don't have a clue because you didn't do my time. And I didn't do yours either.

But I'd really like to know what's actually going on here, brcause two of the people who don't know are you and me.

by oldpotsmuggler on Thu Aug 18, 2011 at 08:10:33 PM PDT

•  I know precisely what happened (1+ / 0-)
              capelza

you on the other hand pontificate

by cacamp on Fri Aug 19, 2011 at 10:18:23 AM PDT