View Diary: I've Been "Poor" My Entire Life (162 comments)

•  So I can ask you questions? (2+ / 0-)
    GrumpyOldGeek, worldlotus

I want to upgrage but that will have to wait.

More pressing I can't get the d/ drive to work and the device driver keeps giving me an error message. What do I do now?

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 02:12:14 PM PDT

•  I am assuming you are talking about (3+ / 0-)

the CD-Rom or DVD player.  One thing you can try to do is look online for updated drivers.  I have found drivers by looking online for the brand and model of whatever the object is.  Usually the company allows driver updates for free on all of its components.

This is particularly handy when dealing with video cards because they have frequent driver updates compared to other items.

If you think education is expensive, wait until you see how much stupid costs

by Sychotic1 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 02:33:49 PM PDT

•  Press any key to continue, any other key to cancel (1+ / 0-)
      Horace Boothroyd III

One of my favorite fake error messages.

The actual message is helpful. I'm guessing that this is a CD/DVD drive or a plug-in portable drive of some sort.

If it's a CD/DVD drive, remove the CD or DVD if there's one there. Sometimes it's just a type of CD/DVD that isn't supported by the driver or the hardware.

If not that, the internal cables sometimes get loose. Vibration and thumps and bumps. Open the box and make sure that all cables are fully seated. I've had a couple of cheaper drives die on me. I just unplugged them internally. I didn't really need to replace them.

If it's a plug-in USB external drive, it may have gotten trashed because it was just unplugged without following the proper procedures to ensure that everything got written on the drive. Yanking out the cable of an external drive without ensuring it is in a clean state is the quickest and easiest way to lose data and create errors. I never unplug anything. My habit is to shutdown first.

If the D: drive is a hard drive, try running a scandisk. It's worth a shot.

Sometimes just running a scandisk on the C: drive on occasion will clear up some weird problems. Not often, though.

Last of all, reinstall the original or an updated driver for the device.

I don't do Windows for much of anything any more. I run Linux mostly. Two reasons; I'm frugal; I refuse to spend another dime that could end up in Bill Gates' pocket. In my opinion, Windoze IS a virus.

"All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats" - Groucho Marx

by GrumpyOldGeek on Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 04:11:40 PM PDT

•  The drive is integral (1+ / 0-)
        GrumpyOldGeek

CD drive. I would like to watch a movie every once in a while.

I will wait till it is cooler and check connections.

The driver was installed in the last week so my thinking is that it is updated.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 04:21:58 PM PDT

•  This is the error message. (1+ / 0-)
        GrumpyOldGeek
        Your input can't be opened:
        VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://D:'. Check the log for details

I can't find a log on any of my menus or in any searches.

Just checked the cables and restarted and got the same message.

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Fri Aug 26, 2011 at 10:22:59 PM PDT

•  This points to a different kind of weirdness (0+ / 0-)

VLC is a media player that I had never heard of. VideoLan is the official name.

I'm assuming that this is a Windows PC. VideoLan is a popular media player for the MAC. I don't do MAC.

The message isn't coming from a device driver.

It's telling you that the media player (VLC) wants to get at the dvd drive. I can only guess at why this starts up when you boot the computer. I don't think this is normal, but I think this can be resolved.

The part about the MRL thingy means that VLC is trying to find a "Media Resource Locator", which is something that is specific to the VLC media player and it is referring to a DVD on the D: drive. That seems like it's the right place.

1) Let's see what happens when you boot the thing up WITH a DVD in the drive. Maybe it will find it and not complain about it. It might be looking for the so-called MRL itself. If the message doesn't go away with a dvd in the drive, then skip to the next step and remove and reinstall VLC. If the dvd starts playing, that's cool. It's possible that there was a dvd in the drive at some time in the past and the player wasn't done with it. Sometimes things start up at boot time if they were active when the machine was shut down. With any luck, the dvd will play, you can stop the VLC player, shut down, and maybe VLC won't start up the next time. Slim odds, but something simple to try. If the message stops happening, you're good to go. If not, step 2.

2) Sometimes seemingly unrelated things can screw up other things. Updates to one software package can break another. VideoLan and the Microsoft Media Player both use Windows media drivers, so there is common dependency here. You should always keep Windows stuff up to date. I encourage automatic updates. However, if the Microsoft media player was updated, it might affect other media player software. In my experience, this is a likely cause for the weirdness.

I assume you're familiar with removing applications using the Control Panel and Update/Remove Application stuff.

The way to fix this is to uninstall VLC, reboot, and see if the message goes away. This is almost certain to get rid of the message. If not, then this is super-weird. You probably want to keep using VLC, so you'll want to reinstall it. Download the latest version here. Install it. Reboot. If the updated VLC still spits out this message, I'd just uninstall it use something else. It's a bug, not a feature.

I hope this lets you watch dvd's again.

"All people are born alike - except Republicans and Democrats" - Groucho Marx