View Diary: Mr. Roosevelt's Social Insurance (197 comments)

•  You've made it very clear that you (12+ / 0-)

support cutting SS benefits for poor and working people as long as a Politician tells you that it's "strengthening" a program which is perfectly sound.

It's clear to anyone paying attention that you've only written this diary so that in a few months, when you're demanding that dirty moorlocks take their medicine without complaint and suck up the cuts you want to see inflicted on us, you can point to it and say

"BBBBBB--BBBB-BBut see???  I support Social Security!"

Transparent, and directly opposed to the interests of workers.

"I'm tired of hearing that it's "pragmatic" to support positions that most people oppose." RFK Lives

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 08:57:49 AM PDT

•   none of the things you claim are true, of course (2+ / 0-)
      TFinSF, JC from IA

In any case, thanks for commenting.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 09:44:18 AM PDT

•  Did you ever stop for two seconds.... (10+ / 0-)

.....to consider why they want to cut Social Security now and not 30, 40 years into the future when the "shortfall" (again, based on predictions of an economy decades from now) actually becomes an actual issue?

Consider that the surpluses from the "trust fund" have been used to subsidize tax cuts for the rich and the military industrial complex?  Surpluses that are starting to diminish - as will the subsidization for tax cuts and the military industrial complex?

Either you've been duped, or you're spinning for liars cuts.  Either way, stay the hell away from our Social Security, kthxbai.

He's got a (D) next to his name. How many Ds and how many Rs next to his policies? - Jim P

by Uberbah on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 10:24:58 AM PDT

•  Yeah, this is pure rationalization by Dems eager (5+ / 0-)

to justify the Republican policies and ideologies being flogged by this administration. Such a sad time for this once great Party, and blog.

"Nothing is more important than balancing the budget with the least increase in taxes." - Herbert Hoover, 1932 speech.

by Tyree on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 11:05:52 AM PDT

•   Well (1+ / 0-)
            JC from IA

If you could spend less time attacking people on this blog and more time making sure there are less Republicans in Congress, FDR would, I am sure, be grateful.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 11:25:16 AM PDT

•  Once can walk and chew gum at the same time, (2+ / 0-)
              gooderservice, Uberbah

no? This is not an either/or situation. Opposing Republican memes should be done whether they are coming from Republicans OR Democrats. I know you don't agree with that, nor obviously see your position as such, but it's a simplistic characterization to claim it's one or the other.

And FDR, and my Democratic grandfather who revered him, would be, I believe, spinning in their graves at the thought of such collusive involvement of Democrats in the unnecessary rolling back of the cornerstone of liberal Democratic social policy. IMO.

(and correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you spend a fair amount of time attacking the attackers here? How is that consistent with your own advice?).

by Tyree on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 12:15:23 PM PDT

•  I spend a minuscule (0+ / 0-)

amount of time correcting people who distort my position. I spend thousands of comment hours interacting with our community.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 01:37:51 PM PDT

•  This (0+ / 0-)

is a very sad statement coming from a front pager.  I thought you guys were above this type of thing?

Disappointed.

"Blind cheerleading of the president will create jobs and get him to stop droning on and on about deficits no one cares about to the point that his numbers have tanked among independents?" -kos

by Nada Lemming on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 12:39:12 PM PDT

•  I am happy to discuss policy (1+ / 0-)
                JC from IA

but distorting my position and questioning mY motives invites pushback. Sorry if that offends you.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 01:27:32 PM PDT

•  I am not offended (0+ / 0-)

I just thought you were different than Dana Houle.  Seems there is not much space between you now.  Try to have less disdain for your readers, or there will be no daylight at all.

by Nada Lemming on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 04:40:55 PM PDT

•  I have no idea what your comment (0+ / 0-)

is supposed to suggest, but if you'd like to talk about Roosevelt or SS I am happy to do so. The many other commenters are doing exactly that.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 05:28:38 PM PDT

•  It is because (0+ / 0-)

you are not self aware.  Again, sad.

by Nada Lemming on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 07:00:19 PM PDT

•  self awareness? (0+ / 0-)

so here's the deal. I like to discuss policy and analysis and politics, and I am delighted when people engage, even to diasgree.

However, a small group of the same people insist on coming into these posts to either mischaracterize my position, make disparaging comments about my motives and/or do the same to anyone whio disagrees with them. I reserve the right to defend myself, but the episodes are few and far between. That's the best way to respect the vast majority of commenters who not only come here to discuss all of the above sans personal attacks, but enjoy the material (easily confirmed bny inspecting the comments).

If you have an issue with that approach, feel free to contact Markos. But having been here for eight years, I am comfortable not only with my approach but with my track record.  YMMV.

by Greg Dworkin on Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 07:13:29 AM PDT