View Diary: I agree with AIPAC. (41 comments)

•  Why not (a 2-state solution)? (2+ / 0-)
    Paul in Berkeley, volleyboy1

What else could possibly be a solution?

Don't tell me what you believe. And don't tell me what you do. I barely know you.

by doc2 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 06:04:10 AM PDT

•  A single state in which the factors that.... (4+ / 0-)
      Terra Mystica, PeterHug, JesseCW, poco

...divide them are negated by law and everyday practice.  Side-by-side states with unhappy revanchists on both sides doesn't seem too promising, especially when one is very rich and the other very poor as will certainly be the case.

Let us resolutely study and implement the resolutions of the 46th Convention of the Democratic Party!

by Rich in PA on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 06:28:57 AM PDT

•  I always thought that while the 2 states (3+ / 0-)

would always be sniping at each other, eventually their relations would be pretty stable. In one state, with the two groups eternal enemies, I don't really see how the country stays together. What do you think would happen if a Hamas-like Palestinian leader were to be elected PM?

by doc2 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 07:06:44 AM PDT

•  A one state solution with moderately autonomous (2+ / 0-)
          PeterHug, Terra Mystica

cantons could work out quite well actually.

You'd have to read the history of Switzerland and The Netherlands to see how, though.

Far more blood was shed in both places before a single state solution was eventually worked out.

"I'm tired of hearing that it's "pragmatic" to support positions that most people oppose." RFK Lives

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 08:24:02 AM PDT

•  So one nation, with two (or more) autonomous (3+ / 0-)

states. Sounds like a two-state solution to me. Not sure of the point of tying them together under one national umbrella if each state is eternally at odds with the other.

by doc2 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 08:30:30 AM PDT

•  Republics made up of multiple (4+ / 0-)

Cantons are not seperate states.

Very simply, water and transport and electricity and trade and currency all have to be worked out.

It's much better for all involved, when economies are this entwined, to handle that by being one Republic.

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 08:33:46 AM PDT

•  Really? That is a generalization. (0+ / 0-)

I'm not convinced right now that the United States should be one country. If we split into a progressive country and a Jesusland, I have a feeling that more people would be happier with their respective country than they are now.

by doc2 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 09:38:21 AM PDT

•  The United States, as a whole, is not (0+ / 0-)

a small region with limited natural resources and only a few transportation corridors.

I believe that the lot of us would be better off were the United States broken up into four or five smaller countries.

However, I see no way that could happen without massive bloodshed, and so I would not support efforts to make it happen.

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 10:10:01 AM PDT

•  I hear what you are saying. But I have (1+ / 0-)
                    Terra Mystica

trouble with the concept that the positives associated with one utility regulator, one military, one currency, etc. outweigh the many negatives associated with two peoples that despise each other living as one nation.

by doc2 on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 10:13:21 AM PDT

•  People differening ethnicities and (1+ / 0-)
                      Terra Mystica

long histories of strife live in the same nations together all over the globe.

by JesseCW on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 10:40:24 AM PDT

•  Yes & much of the anger is against current actions (2+ / 0-)
                        Terra Mystica, poco

that could be stopped/dismantled such as the barrier wall and new settler housing being built in West Bank -- for Jews.

The past history of Israel is that it was created at a time when the ruling class in Europe supported the idea of colonies: England was trying to keep India, France wanted to keep Indonesia, etc. I believe a lot of the current political instability is related to the inherant instability of the situation at the start.

A political process that stressed looking at past history with more clarity could be a better environment for building a more peaceful future.

The boss needs you, you don't need him. -- France general strike, May 1968

by stargaze on Sun Aug 28, 2011 at 11:11:02 AM PDT

•  It could work but would take a long time. (1+ / 0-)
            volleyboy1

Bosnia is a good example and it was really two separate states for over a decade. It is still not fully integrated. And differences between Israel and Palestine are even bigger. Also, Bosnia was forced to stay as a single state by peacekeepers. I doubt it is possible in Israel. Most other attempted single-state solutions to similar conflicts have not been successful (Moldova, Georgia, Sudan, Timor).

•  See my sig. (0+ / 0-)

Dissolve Israel; stop distinguishing between jew and non-jew in Palestine.

by high5 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 at 04:41:37 AM PDT