View Diary: What "SpeechDate" Really Shows (362 comments)

•  What SpeechDate really shows is (14+ / 0-)

that Boehner is an ass who does not care about jobs. Period.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:09:43 AM PDT

•  Knew that. (7+ / 0-)

The American people must wise up and rise up!

by TomP on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:13:17 AM PDT

•  Of course, but this drives home the point. (7+ / 0-)

Other than that, all I can see that it shows is that some people think the football pre-game show is more important than jobs.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:20:02 AM PDT

•  I hope you are right. (6+ / 0-)

I think it just helps the Rs.  They make it look like Obama and Rs are always fighting over bullshit.  Casual observers blame both.  Obama looks weak, takes the loss, and loses in the polls.  Rs in congress are willing to take the hit to destroy Obama's popularity.  Rs have played it brilliantly so far.

The American people must wise up and rise up!

by TomP on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:22:28 AM PDT

•  You are right that casual observers blame both. (8+ / 0-)

That is one of the main reasons I argue against the Obama is weak or whatever. We have to fight for the casual observer to understand the dynamics of the situation, and repeating the Obama caves meme, rather than stating what the issues are and what each side got is important. Whether you look at the Bush tax cuts or the debt ceiling debate, Obama actually got quite a few things that were needed. Might someone else have done better? Maybe, but someone else is not POTUS.

Therefore, I will continue to point out what things are different and better than what the Republicans wanted.  Does anyone here actually think the country would have been in better shape if the Republicans had won or will be if they do win? I can't personally get worked up over whether Hillary would have been a better President because she is not President. We are where we are and the one thing I am sure of is that the country is in better shape because Obama is President than if McCain were and will be in better shape in 2016 if he remains President than if any Republican (who may or may not be a candidate now) is.

In 2016 we will have another Democratic Primary and we can decide who we want to be our nominee for President in that election. It may be a liberal; it may be a moderate. But that is the time to fight for someone else. Right now the choice is between Mr. Obama and some crazy-ass Republican and I do not intend to do anything to weaken Obama's chances. This does not mean I do not write and call the WH to state my opinion, particularly my opinion when I disagree with something he has done. It does mean I will look at each situation and that I will look at the reality of each situation and decide whether I think he did okay or not. Mostly, I think he has done okay under the circumstances that actually exist. Some things I think he has been outstanding on and some things I do not like his position on. Nothing new about that concerning any Democratic President.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:45:07 AM PDT

•  Nah, it shows that folks think that (2+ / 0-)
          sewaneepat, TomP

the pre-game show is more important than other people's jobs.

I don't think you're going to find a job-seeker who feels that way.

But hey, I got mine, and that includes a comfy chair and a rack of tallboys, so we can talk about other people's jobs later

•  But non-political junkie crowd didn't. (5+ / 0-)
        TomP, mrblifil, Beetwasher, Deep Texan, mmacdDE

My friend who knows more about Soap Operas than politics was like "WTF"

"Rick Perry talks a lot and he's not very bright. And that's a combination I like in Republicans." --- James Carville

by LaurenMonica on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:23:09 AM PDT

•  AAAAAAANNNND . . . water still wet. (0+ / 0-)

In case anyone's wondering.

The real enemy of the good is not the perfect, but the mediocre.

by Orange County Liberal on Thu Sep 01, 2011 at 08:55:16 PM PDT