View Diary: Abbreviated pundit roundup (76 comments)

•  Oaths as speech acts (1+ / 0-)
    vets74
    Today, virtually every Republican in national office, and a majority of those seeking the presidency, has taken a pledge to an unelected, single-issue advocate named Grover Norquist.
    Die Vereidigung der Wehrmacht auf (Godwin), 2.8.1934
    "Ich schwöre bei Gott diesen heiligen Eid, daß ich dem Führer des Deutschen Reiches und Volkes Ad (Godwin), dem Oberbefehlshaber der Wehrmacht, unbedingten Gehorsam leisten und als tapferer Soldat bereit sein will, jederzeit für diesen Eid mein Leben einzusetzen."

I am off my metas! Präsidentenelf-maßschach; Warning-Some Snark Above"Nous sommes un groupuscule" (-9.50; -7.03)

by annieli on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 05:03:17 AM PDT

•  300k Kossacks and to my knowledge... (2+ / 0-)
      annieli, vets74

...you're the only one who could post that comment :)  Anyway, it's all fine and dandy for academic circles but the only speech acts that translate as acts in the real world of legal responsibility are commands from a superior to an inferior.

Let us resolutely study and implement the resolutions of the 46th Convention of the Democratic Party!

by Rich in PA on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 05:58:01 AM PDT

•  Um, no. (1+ / 0-)
        annieli

There are a whole hell of a lot of other speech acts that are quite effective in the 'real world.'  If you make legal responsibility the standard for 'doing something with words' you've totally missed the point both of speech act theory and of the example that's being cited.

"Two things that were left out of the bill of rights: the right to leave and the right to change one's mind" --Veronika, in Eustache's La Maman et la putain

by ed k on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 06:41:19 AM PDT

•  The Hitler Oath. (1+ / 0-)
      annieli

But I think you'd prefer the civil version to the military:

Civil servant oath

Diensteid der öffentlichen Beamten

Ich schwöre: Ich werde dem Führer des Deutschen Reiches und Volkes Adolf Hitler treu und gehorsam sein, die Gesetze beachten, und meine Amtspflichten gewissenhaft erfüllen, so wahr mir Gott helfe.

I swear: I will be faithful and obedient to the leader of the German empire and people, Adolf Hitler, to observe the law, and to conscientiously fulfill my official duties, so help me God!

The GOPers aren't quite in the Wehrmacht. Maybe parts of Kentucky, where they wear Black Shirt uniforms and bow to Rand Paul.

Angry White Males + Crooks + Personality Disorder psychos + KKKwannabes + "Unborn Child" church folk =EQ= The Republicans

by vets74 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:48:08 AM PDT

•  All Hail Aqua Buddha! /nt (1+ / 0-)
        vets74

by annieli on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 07:50:37 AM PDT

•  more Oaths from the Napoleonic period (0+ / 0-)

by annieli on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 09:10:35 AM PDT