View Diary: “BREAKING: Tea Party Activists arrested at White House” (100 comments)

•  Here's another thought (16+ / 0-)

why is that during Bush's Free Speech Zones people were arrested for wearing anti-war t-shirts or signs with Peace symbols on them?

Yet these assholes can show up at healthcare rallies, some of which were on public school properties, with fucking rifles and gun.

I asked a FORMER friend who came to my house and saw the photos of our not so peaceful Portland police in riot gear at a peace rally.  I asked the question to him and he stated unblinkingly that the police had every right to SHOOT me and my teenage daughter as we were a possible threat to him because our peace signs could be used as a weapon.  That "real Americans" had a "god given right to carry guns".

Guns = Peace
    Peace Signs = weapon

That is what we're up against folks.

Police show up in riot gear and horses, trailer type vehicles, huge freaking guns, some requiring stands for a Peace March.  Teabaggers show up with guns, rage, screaming and no police but they get all the coverage. It's sick.

And the media never covers the real news.  Or at best you have what we call "shows" or comedy bouts.  The only news right now is from outside of the country or if you can find Democracy Now with Amy Goodman.

Here in Portland recently, two men were beaten for holding hands, thousands showed up for a vigil, our 'media" didn't cover it at all.  Yet they covered 10 or 12 Teabaggers who were grumbling about some stupid shit or something.

Remember, signs especially those with those dastardly sticks are WEAPONS, but Guns, meh not so much.

Orwell continues to spin.

I'm cutting our cable next week.  I'm not going to be complicit in the continuing enslavement of this country.

But I will keep marching with my "weapon" of choice... a smile a peace sign.

Have I been arrested?  No, I've had a gun at my back in Washington DC.  I've been terrorized by the so called "scatter shot" because one police men was knocked off his bike.  I've been caught up in a mixture of pepper spray that is special for the northwest weather and winds.  I've lost cameras from such spray.

My daughter knows all the rules to marching peacefully in the streets and what to do if trouble occurs.

And I've gone through a few shoes and lost my voice several times. :)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." ~Jimi Hendrix

by Damnit Janet on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:10:46 AM PDT

•  You'll poke your eye out with that thing. (2+ / 0-)
      Damnit Janet, chimpy

Republicans HATE America. Deal with it. / It's the PLUTONOMY, Stupid!

by xxdr zombiexx on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:14:29 AM PDT

•  I've been at some (9+ / 0-)

fairly personally dangerous protests and vigils.  The scariest ones for Lt. Watada - the first officer to stand against the illegal occupations.  We met with him underground but the truly scary shit was when about 8 of us stood outside Ft. Lewis, WA.  My knees still shake when thinking about that one.

I've had to make a promise to my husband to tell him excactly what goes on from me immediately upon returning.  He doesn't like to hear a year later at a dinner party that some jerk hit me with a lit cigarette in the face or that townies kept driving by throwing Big Gulps and gravel at us.  He wants to know the truth.  He's ex military and one time a car drove by a peace vigil and through a soda can at the signs and it almost hit our daughter and another child.  He went running down the stree to kill the guy.  He's not "peaceful" in that way :)  So he stays home with our son who is disabled but has done many vigils...

Anyways, one time at a Peace vigil, two elderly ladies turned and hugged each other and one of their signs smacked me in the mouth.  Split my lip, made me bleed and I went home later with a bruised, puffy smile.  My husband instantly freaked out and didn't believe me right off.

But yes, I've been bloodies and bruised by a "Give Peace a Chance" sign :)

by Damnit Janet on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:50:55 AM PDT

•  My husband doesn't just "stay home" (10+ / 0-)

I need to ammend that part.

Once he realized that he couldn't go through the non-violent peace trainings.... he started his own way of walking his talk

He does Meals on Two Wheels with the Loaves and Fishes folks.  He delivers hot meals to the elderly, disabled and housebound on his bicycle.

He believes and acts that the only war we can truly stop is the war on hunger.  That it can be stopped today if people truly gave a shit.

He now has my daughter involved.  He's been riding for 3 years for them.

I march.  He pedals.

by Damnit Janet on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:54:32 AM PDT

•  But that's why it's constitutionally protected (1+ / 0-)
        A Siegel

Guns are dangerous weapons, so the second amendment protects their fetishistic brandishing.

But, if peace signs are indeed as dangerous as some bozos imagine, then they're protected by not one, but two amendments. The obvious one about speech, assembling peaceably, and petitioning the government ought to be enough. But, if you want it protected by a more Republican-friendly amendment, you may have to whittle a point onto one end to make it count as a weapon.

Why is there a Confederate Flag flying in Afghanistan?

by chimpy on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 10:29:06 AM PDT

•  Good on you! (5+ / 0-)

Especially for canceling cable.

Cable isn't just a part of the problem.  It's a BIG part of the problem and part of your monthly payment goes directly to FOX, whether you watch them or not.

There aren't a lot of silver linings in the ongoing recession, but one of them is that a lot more people simply can't afford cable any more.

If broadcast news were smart, they'd pick the cream off the top of cable - Maddow, Stewart, Colbert - and most of us would find, as I did, that we don't miss cable at all, once canceled.

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth - Abraham Lincoln

by Gustogirl on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:38:34 AM PDT

• Barack Obama (21)
  • Media (21)
  • Republicans (21)
  • Law (20)
  • Spam (19)
  • Labor (19)
  • Trans-Pacific Partnership (18)
  • White House (15)
  • International (15)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site